O1 question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LostOutThere

O1 question

Post by LostOutThere »

My Spydie Bushcraft has now seen a fair amount of use, and has developed quite the patina. I love the combination of edge retention, toughness and ease of sharpening the O1 steel offers. I was wondering if anyone else would like to see an outdoor oriented folder in O1? As far as I know only a handful of custom manufacturers work in O1 for smaller knives is this just because it is rust prone?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I love the idea but the folder market is driven by stainless.

Ken
玉鋼
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

The Bradley features a non-stainless steel that kicks b*tt. You might want to check out that one.

Dennis
druid

Post by druid »

the Gayle Bradley syderco collaboration features cpm m4 which is a non-stainless steel which has I believe about 5% chromium compared about I believe 12% for a stainless steel I believe a one as less than 1%. But is also less complex with lower carbon than M4. I may have my elements mixed up but I believe my percentages are roughly correct. On a slightly different note around Christmas I will be receiving a Randall fix blades which is forged 01. I'm not sure I entirely buy this but they claim that the one is the best steel available that can be forged. spyderco also did an interesting mule team knife, the first one they did was 51200 I believe something like a which was heat-treated and processed in a relatively low-tech , but extremely complex series of steps that make sense. With a very nice result opals are also made up a simple carbon steel which holds a very good edge. Sorry for any inaccuracies.
why
LostOutThere

Post by LostOutThere »

Thanks for the response. I'm probably the only person ever to have handled a Gayle Bradley and not gotten along with its ergos, although I'd really be interested in more M4 offerings. It was using my Opinel 9 and Bushcraft over the weekend that reminded me of how much I like the characteristics of carbon/tool steels. I have a few fixed blades in non-stainless and have now developed the desire for some modern hi-tech folders in carbon and tool steels.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I have been using 0-1 Randall knives for a long time. This steel takes a very good edge and is easy to sharpen in the field. It is this latter point that makes it attractive to me for fixed blade knives. Spyderco's Bushcraft is a wonderfully designed knife that takes full advantage of 0-1 steel with its Scandi grind. However, I think for most of my applications, the more exotic steels are better than 0-1 in folders.