Spyderco @ Eugene, OR?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oregon

SpyderWa's cornucopia

Post by oregon »

Thank you kindly David. You are my hero. You hold a history of Spyderco in your posession. Outstanding generousity, erudite insider knowledge, brilliant conversationalist and a huge inventory at my disposal make you the heavy-weight champion of the OKCA for 2010.
spyderwa

Thanks

Post by spyderwa »

Thanks Oregon. I really had a great time talking about knives. I took a picture of my Rekat Pocket Hobbit which is a folding version of the Hobbit/Warrior design. These are very hard to find and I was delighted to find one this past weekend. Might we see one of these as a Spyderco? Hmmm..... is all I can say. ;) The blade shows that this is one of 250 so it is not a high volume piece. Handle=5", Blade=4". I have heard that there are two styles of etchings on the blade with the later one indicating ATS-34 as the blade type. There may have been a lock variation as well.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Attachments
Eugene Show 2010 035sm.jpg
Eugene Show 2010 035sm.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Eugene Show 2010 032sm.jpg
Eugene Show 2010 032sm.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
oregon

Post by oregon »

Thank you for the pics SpyderWa.

You have a remarkable eye to be able to pick out that one knife in the thousands of knives spread out over 400 tables in that large room. Well done. A terrific piece for the collections and a memorable find to recall the event in the years to follow. So there are other variations of folding Warrior Hobbits...
spyderwa

show

Post by spyderwa »

There is always one that you miss out on. In this case an inexpensive Khukri. There really were not a lot of older Spydercos there, but it was nice to see all of the new prototypes.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
oregon

Post by oregon »

spyderwa wrote:There is always one that you miss out on. In this case an inexpensive Khukri. snip
spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
Ed Schempp had a good selection of his Spyderco collaborations, NIB, for sale on his table. He wasn't there when I was but his son and I talked. I noticed the large and small Persians for sure. And the price was not unreasonable. Didn't he have a Khukri for you or was he asking a pretty price?
DHart

Post by DHart »

Dang... just missed this by a few days. I would love to have attended... Eugene is just a couple of hours south of me by Harley Davidson. ;)

Does the show happen each April? If so, I'll mark my calendar for next year.
oregon

Post by oregon »

DHart wrote:Dang... just missed this by a few days. I would love to have attended... Eugene is just a couple of hours south of me by Harley Davidson. ;)

Does the show happen each April? If so, I'll mark my calendar for next year.
Go ahead and mark your calendar for Mid-April 2011. It is an annual show by and for enthusiasts. The guy stamping your hand as you enter or watching the back door knows more about cutlery than 99.9% of the population. Really. The weather Sunday was dry and 70 so perfect for motorcycling.

Here is the OKCA site link: http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/index.html
DHart

Post by DHart »

oregon... thanks... calendar marked.

Post by 224477 »

Sweet Timberline SS collaboration There is very few echo on those in general. I can see a nice sliding knife on the left, 1st picture, my dad had same I think, made in Russia.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
oregon

Post by oregon »

224477 wrote:Sweet Timberline SS collaboration There is very few echo on those in general. I can see a nice sliding knife on the left, 1st picture, my dad had same I think, made in Russia.
Besides being a gentleman and a scholar you have a good eye 224477. Here is the reverse side of that Timberline SS collab:

My son took custody of the small slider knife. I couldn't work it. What is the trick to opening and closing this knife?
Jose Diaz

Great Show...

Post by Jose Diaz »

I enjoyed myself at this show. This has always been a good show for me. This was the fourth year in a row being a table holder. I got to visit with a lot of people, including the Glessers.

Thanks again to Sal, Gail, and Erik as well as the rest of the Spyder Crew I got to visit with. I enjoyed our visits.

I love talking to folks about my knives and the cutting competitions. I think we even got another competition established for the next season in Boise, ID. That will be 5 events in the Pacific Northwest for the next season.

respectfully,
Jose Diaz
oregon

Post by oregon »

Jose,

Any pics of your cutting competition knife? :D

Ed Schempp had his on his table and I failed to photograph it for his fans.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the show.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

LOVE that ray skin wrapped dagger! What model is that?!? :cool:
oregon

Post by oregon »

psychophipps wrote:LOVE that ray skin wrapped dagger! What model is that?!? :cool:
The dagger is a RJ Martin collaboration named the Kumo. The wrap/grip is very secure. I felt like I could keep a good grasp on the knife even if my hand holding it was plunged into a bucket of oil.

link to Spyderco info on the Kumo: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=194
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

oregon wrote:Jose,

Any pics of your cutting competition knife? :D

Ed Schempp had his on his table and I failed to photograph it for his fans.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the show.
Here is a picture of my personal cutter. I call it the Cane Toad. I make several variations of the same knife.

Here is an example of one variation:

Here is a pictures of Ed's knife from a previous post:

Respectfully,
Jose Diaz
tac

Post by tac »

Jose,

I enjoyed talking with you and Ed at the show on Saturday, and getting to handle those competition knives. Ed's explanation of how the lanyard is used to help improve the knife's cutting action and reduce shock and stress on the user's hand and wrist was very informative. See you there next year.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

I have been to the show in the past, and just barely made it this time.

David, it was good to meet you. Was this the second time?

I had a real great time talking with the Spyderco crew. And I think I scared Eric, as I don't think he is used to being recognized yet... Next time, he will surely have his mogul shades on...

But, next time, we should think about doing a get together, could be fun! Maybe we could find someone who could help us make Spydie Forum badges....

And, finally, I loved looking at the new stuff! Bushcraft with G-10! Dialex Natural! Pekka Puuko! And, I am sure there are other knives I liked, but those are the ones I remember well.

Marion
Marion David Poff