Spyderco @ Eugene, OR?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Spyderco @ Eugene, OR?

Post by SolidState »

Is anybody going to the quickly approaching Oregon Knife Show in Eugene? I'm hoping the :spyder: crowd will be represented. Does anybody have any good prior experience with this show to share? :confused:

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/okcashow.html
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
oregon

Post by oregon »

SolidState wrote:Is anybody going to the quickly approaching Oregon Knife Show in Eugene? I'm hoping the :spyder: crowd will be represented. Does anybody have any good prior experience with this show to share? :confused:
Yes. I plan to attend Sunday.

I've never, knowingly, met another forum member there besides the Spyderco staff. And that experience was, in itself, worth attending the show. Really. However, I don't know if any staff will be in attendance next week.

I enjoy the show, people and stuff, so much that I doubt that I could stay away even if I was broke, afoot and two days dead. It is a highlight, high water mark, of my interest in cutlery each year. Last year I found several custom Boguszewski knives, bot one for less than a third of what it originally sold for, later received a letter about the knife from the maker, and was whole-heartedly thanked by the vendor for making the purchase. Open your eyes and you will see fantastic things that you have never seen before, maybe have the opportunity to buy, and maybe never see again. The show has never been routine in the 5 consecutive years I've attended.

You find me at the show and I will give you a hearty hand-clasp and something appropriate & neat to go with the upcoming clear Manix 2.
Ed Schempp

OKCA Show

Post by Ed Schempp »

Thirty some years ago Wayne Goddard and Dennis Ellingsen started this show. Eventually the show grew the club. Now the club is over 1000 members. The show is about all knives, so you will see all types of cutlery. The perimeter tables are all displays, some which are spectacular. Dennis Ellingsen with his wife Elaine run a first class tight ship. There is a large group of knowledgeable and personable volunteers that make this show happen. Check out the details at the OKCA site.

This show was my introduction to the cutlery world. Little did I know in 1991 that I would be so involved in the industry. Many wonderful things have happened to me @ the OKCA show. I met and got a knife order from Sal Glesser one of the most innovative designers, ever. (I really can't tell you how much Sal and the Glesser family have challenged me and changed my life.) This is a show where all my friends have helped me look after my 10 year old son. I have never felt that he could ever be more secure. Now my son is 26 years old and will be demonstrating flintknapping for his 14th year.

This is probably the most affordable shows in the country, and one of the most vendor friendly, dry camping is allowed in the parking lot, in trailers and motor homes. Admission is very reasonable. Parking is free. There is usually some other events at the convention center. The Eugene weekend market is the other side of the parking lot. There are quite a few rooms of reasonable quality available for under 75$.

If you go to the show for 5 hours that gives you 300 minutes to see 400+ tables. I found that I would look fairly closely at all the custom knives yet inevitably miss a detail, idea, or technique that rocked the industry.

I do 2 shows a year, Eugene Oregon and Paris France. At OKCA my son and I have table next to each other and has been a family event for near 20 years. This is a show where you stop and smell the roses, appreciate the people around you, and make new friends.

I like to say, "the lesson at hand is not always the one we had planned". If you like knives this show will stretch your mind. We all know once you've stretched a mind you can't stretch it back.

Sal, Gail and Eric usually attend this show, many times Peter Jhones is there with with Spyderco. Peter is into engineering and patents and is a serious independent thinker. Most every knife that Spyderco produces Peter plays and important part.

If this show is in your neighborhood, you would be foolish to pass it up.

This show is a lot like my knives; you really can't fairly judge until you have embraced...Take Care...Ed
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I look forward to seeing you there. This is going to be a blast.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
sal

Post by sal »

There are a few of us scheduled to go.

sal
spyderwa

Oregon Show

Post by spyderwa »

I will be sharing space with Betty from Double Eagle. Look me up as I will have a lot of interesting, (old and rare), Spydercos with me. Great show each year.

spyderwa aka David

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Website
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
invisiblemonster

Post by invisiblemonster »

I'll be there. It's been a long time since I went to the show but i've been looking forward to this years show a lot since i've gotten back into knives in recent months.
tac

Post by tac »

I'll be there on Saturday. Really looking forward to it. :)
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

Wish I’d seen this earlier. It’s unlikely I can make it, but might try.
Gary
Will Fly for Food
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I went and now I'm back and I'm really happy. There were some great new designs that were covered in the Amsterdam thread. I have to say that I'm most interested in an Ed Schempp design called the Equilibrium. That really is an awesome little knife. I kind of fell in love with it when I first saw it. The kiwi slipit is awesome as well.

I also got to hold a rock salt for the first time, and the knife was perplexingly light and well balanced. The Baby Goddard was calling my name as well.

The steel flower that Ed gave my girlfriend is really cool. She's not into knives, so it definitely lightened her mood.

I just wanted to thank the Schempps and the Glessers for making it a wonderful trip. I look forward to attending next year.
Sir Humphry Davy
tac

Post by tac »

The show was a lot of fun. It was truly a pleasure chatting with the Glessers, Ed Schempp, and lots of other knifemakers there, along with having the opportunity to see and handle preproduction Spydie's and many beautiful customs. I will definitely be back. :)
potterma

Post by potterma »

sal wrote:There are a few of us scheduled to go.

sal
Always a pleasure to see you and the wife at the Eugene show, Sal!

I always feel so privileged when I get a few minutes to chat. Lots of great designs on that table! Hope they ALL go into production! :D
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
oregon

Post by oregon »

I couldn't be more tickled after my visit with Martin Schempp, Sean Connery and Grace Kelly, introduced by the generous, kind and knowledgeable SpyderWa thank you, at the Spyderco table. It is rare for me to meet face to face with people I admire and respect. Good people. Thank you for the fun day.

SpyderWa overwhelmed me completely with the fraction of his collection, there is more, that accompanied him to the show. Pics to follow later. It was a real treat to see in my hand knives that were previously only known to me in pictures. The early models came in foil candy wrappers!

My haul (the Worker, the first tactical folder, has the first one inch top of the blade tip sharpened, double-edged, but that sharpened inch is hidden when closed, if this was two inches would it be considered a dagger?):

oregon

Some pics of what I beheld thx to SpyderWa

Post by oregon »

oregon

a few more from OKCA for your amusement

Post by oregon »

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Way cool pics, oregon! Thanks for putting them up!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
spyderwa

Oregon Show

Post by spyderwa »

Just got back from the Oregon Show. I want to say thanks to all of the forumites that stopped by. I really enjoyed show and tell time with Oregon, (though I hope it was not too overwhelming). As usual this was a great show with some cool treasures uncovered. The Spyderco crew was present with prototypes on Saturday which was a real treat. Thanks to Oregon for his picture taking and great personality.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
oregon

Post by oregon »

The pics are entirely my pleasure. Big fun. And, I have more. :D

Overwhelmed, well, uh, yea. So much so that I woke up a few minutes ago realizing that I don't think I captured any photos of that REKAT Hobbit Warrior folder! :eek:

Pretty please SpyderWa. I am sure that I am not the only one that would love to see your find.

Many thanks for your generous display and discussion.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I always enjoy the people and the relaxed pace of the OKCA show, this year was no different. The weather was beautiful and that isn't that good for shows and other inside activities. It is always a pleasure to meet new folks and rekindle relationships with old friends...Take care...Ed
oregon

SpyderWa's show & tell pics continued

Post by oregon »