Spyderco frn Ukpk lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

Nice pics and comparing both ukpk's i think the frn 1 looks even better. :)
The nice :spyder: makes it really look good and the grip/texture is as good (or even better) as the g10 handles.
Whieee wrote:

There's another thing about the pivot though. It appears that the pivot screw turns a little bit, every time you open the blade. If you use your blade a lot, this will result in blade play pretty quickly. I guess some loctite will fix that issue though.
This also happened to mine, did not realize the pivot screw would turn. So i will loctide it and the problem will be solved.

All in all, I think this knife can be a home-run for Spyderco. It's legal just about everywhere, except for Denmark ofcourse, it's comfortable to use, people-friendly, it's affordable, while still offering great cutting performance.

I think it's allready a homerun. Almost all the "testers" are positive about this :spyder: knife.
And we have to have hope the one hand opening knives stay legal in the Netherlands ;) .
:D
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Jijoel wrote:Sal told us its something like 440.
If i remember it in the right order it would have more edge retaining but less rust resistance than 440.
So a very usable cheap steel with good rust resistance and easy to sharpen.

(But i'm not really sure this is in the right order.
Maybe some other members (Piet or Koen) chime in on this)
Yes, you are right, stays a little longer sharp than 440C, and is a little less corrosion resistant.

At your service :p

Edit: no problem with the pivot on my example. Even better, no blade play.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Yep, excellent light knife. Take a very nice edge.

JD
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

phaust wrote:What would you compare Gin-1 to in terms of rust resistance and edge holding? I love that knife (and great pics, guys, by the way) but am unfamiliar with the steel. Jijoel, in the review you mention it's like 440; which grade 440 is it like, and in which way is it like it? Thanks :D
Just found this old Gin-1 comparison Sal wrote back in 2001 and thought it might be of interest here:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=6
sal wrote:In terms of steel. Gingami 1 (silver paper in Japanese) was a premier steel only 10 years ago. And is still better than (in edge retention):

Surgical steel (the worst - actually a "throw-a-way" steel [304])
420J2
425 modified
AUS-6
AUS-8
440A
440B

It yields to;

ATS-34
ATS-55
154CM
AUS-10
VG-10
BG-42
CPM steels

the above is for comparisons of common stainless knife steels.
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

I did a little update on my review.
I added pics of all the types/colors available at this moment.

So the droppoint,leaf sheap and rescue blade.
And colors grey,maroon,orange and light blue.
(The orange and light blue are new for this forum).
I don't know if there are more but these are all i know of.
Pics by other visitors from the spydermeet.

http://knifereviews.org/index.php/home/ ... ightweight

Joel
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Jijoel wrote:I did a little update on my review.
I added pics of all the types/colors available at this moment.

http://knifereviews.org/index.php/ho...pk-lightweight
Thanks for the heads up on the update, but the link doesn't work because of the ellipsis in it. Here's a working link: http://knifereviews.org/index.php/home/ ... ightweight . The forum still shrinks the displayed version with the ellipsis, but the actual link retains the complete address. No idea why the address in yours got messed up.

Jijoel wrote:And colors grey,maroon,orange and light blue.
(The orange and light blue are new for this forum).[/url]
I'm disappointed to see that the blue they went with is a light blue—uncomfortably close to a baby blue. I was realllllly hoping for a nice dark blue like on the Stretch. I've been looking forward to buying a blue drop point version for months, but now I'm not so sure.... It's sure friendly looking, but I don't find it anywhere near as pretty as what I was imagining.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~