Spyderco frn Ukpk lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jijoel

Spyderco frn Ukpk lightweight

Post by Jijoel »

My opinion about this little :spyder: .
http://knifereviews.org/index.php/home/ ... ightweight

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Very nice review my man.

Might want to consider posting some pics here to entice some folks. ;)

I like the old Gin-1 steel. I never had any problems with it. Worked great. Glad to see them bring it back in a nice inexpensive FRN slicer.

:spyder:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

thank you! that maroon handle looks good
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Looks good!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Nice work, Thanks for the comparison with the Caly Jr.
The Caly Jr was the single Spydie that really got me hooked, and for me the Caly Jr this sets a very high benchmark for small pocket lightsabers. Consequently I never went near the Caly 3's or Ukpk as I doubted they'd ever be as good as the Caly jr. That might be about to change though... there's something very appealing and familiar about these FRN UKPK's ;)

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
araneae

Post by araneae »

Great review. Can't wait to get one! or two...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Very good, thank you.
I take it they are not for sale yet?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

My goodie bag contained a grey one with a leaf shape blade.
Carried it since and very happy with it.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Piet.S wrote:My goodie bag contained a grey one with a leaf shape blade.
Carried it since and very happy with it.
The same story here. It is astonishing how it finds it's way in my pocket so often. It is a very light, non threatening folder. It cut's good, because it has a thin blade. The E4 with the same grind, but a thicker blade cuts a lot worse. I can cut an apple in half without breaking it with the UK Pen Knife, but not with the Endura.

The workmanship and engineering are very good. The FNR Spyderco bug in the handle is a nice touch, and i really like the way the handle has integral washers! Good thinking Sal!

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/groteFoto-EGUMFHDE.jpg

The etching shows the Spyderco logo and 'Spyderco GIN-1' on one side, and on the other side Sal's logo, 'Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth', and the production date. You can only see the date when you disassemble the knife.

This is my first Spyderco with a wire clip, and I really like it for this purpose. It rides very low in your pocket, as the photo below illustrates. The handle color is better than black for such knife, and it is beautiful. The stonewash is subtile and makes the blade a little bit less shiny. The blade is a little under three inches, but you have an outstanding, comfortable full grip on the knife. The jimping is subtile and breathes quality, where the jimping on my Salt 1 looks and feels cheap (but it works, off course!).

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/groteFoto-ZKOI8PGI.jpg

I am technical student, and all my classmates know about my 'odd' hobby. They are always interested in my knives, and need them more than often. They classify most of my knives as butt ugly but scary sharp. When I came up with the UK Pen Knife Lightweight Leaf, most of them liked it because of it's small size, lightness and non threatening looks. I think that is a huge compliment, and shows the potential of the knife for the non knife public.

Big picture

I think the steel is a good choice for this knife, it came sharp and stays sharp with some care for it.

The slipjoint is a little different from those found on the Swiss army knives. The spring moves very little, and the spring is rather short. I really like the way Spyderco has integrated a kick, so you are not afraid of dulling your knife by closing it quickly.

Big Picture

Sorry Sal, I don't have any negative comments, maybe the edge came a little thick for the purpose of this knife. Thank you for this very generous and practical gift!!

Big picture
zombie

Post by zombie »

thanks for the good reviews JiJoel & Koen Z, can't wait to get one.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Koen Z wrote:Sorry Sal, I don't have any negative comments, maybe the edge came a little thick for the purpose of this knife.
Agree.

Here's mine.

All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Pictures posted! :D
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

I know we want :spyder: pics.

phaust

Post by phaust »

What would you compare Gin-1 to in terms of rust resistance and edge holding? I love that knife (and great pics, guys, by the way) but am unfamiliar with the steel. Jijoel, in the review you mention it's like 440; which grade 440 is it like, and in which way is it like it? Thanks :D
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

Sal told us its something like 440.
If i remember it in the right order it would have more edge retaining but less rust resistance than 440.
So a very usable cheap steel with good rust resistance and easy to sharpen.

(But i'm not really sure this is in the right order.
Maybe some other members (Piet or Koen) chime in on this)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I want one :) :)

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
phaust

Post by phaust »

Jijoel wrote:Sal told us its something like 440.
If i remember it in the right order it would have more edge retaining but less rust resistance than 440.
So a very usable cheap steel with good rust resistance and easy to sharpen.

(But i'm not really sure this is in the right order.
Maybe some other members (Piet or Koen) chime in on this)
Thanks!

If it's better edge retention than 440c and a bit less rust resistance, I'm in!
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

Here's mine, compared to its high-end brother ;)

Another one...

First of all, I think it's great Spyderco gives us these knives for free :D Even before I got it, I was eager to test one of these out. I'm a big fan of my UKPK, and it finds its way to my pocket far more often than any of my other Spydies, so a more affordable version of the knife I love sounded like some sweet music to my ears! ;)

Given the price-point Spyderco is aiming at for this blade, it surely is cheap enough to beat the crap out of it. But the question for me was: is it good enough to take that beating? Well, even though I haven't actually beaten the crap out of it yet ( :D ), I don't think the lightweight version is all that worse than the 'original'. Sure, G10 has been replaced by FRN, CPM-S30V got replaced by GIN-1, FFG became hollow-grind, and the blade is a fair bit thinner than the original UKPK. But what does all of that mean?

Firstly, the lightweight version is indeed.. lighter ;) Secondly, it doesn't quite have the action the original has. The action is good, just not as good. I found it a wee bit too easy to open (and therefore close!) it. Even though tightening the pivot does help a bit, the 'notch' is more profound in the original version. There's another thing about the pivot though. It appears that the pivot screw turns a little bit, every time you open the blade. If you use your blade a lot, this will result in blade play pretty quickly. I guess some loctite will fix that issue though.

Cutting performance is good. It hasn't received my 'special treatment' yet, which my original UKPK has, so comparing isn't fair. However, slicing performance comes pretty close to my Sage 1, which still has its factory edge. I've mostly cut wood, paper, rope, and cardboard with it, and it held up well. My original UKPK was indeed better at all tests, but the lightweight version performed very well, and considering its price-point, I was surprised it performed pretty much on par with my ZDP-189 Delica4 (which has received my 'special treatment'). However, when looking at the chemical facts, GIN-1 will have worse edge-retention and rust-resistance than any of my other Spydies, but that doesn't mean GIN-1 is crappy.

All in all, I think this knife can be a home-run for Spyderco. It's legal just about everywhere, except for Denmark ofcourse, it's comfortable to use, people-friendly, it's affordable, while still offering great cutting performance.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice reviews and pictures everyone. It almost makes me want to take the Ti Military I just got out of my pocket to replace it with my FRN UKPK droppoint...almost. ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
araneae

Post by araneae »

You guys are making us Americans jealous! Hope its not too much longer for us...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal