Asno ??

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
CharlesIV

Asno ??

Post by CharlesIV »

Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Jens Anso is liscensed to use the spyderhole, he is the designer of the recent Spyderco Rockloberster, and the future Spyderco Zulu. And a heck of a knifermaker to boot.

Not sure why you would think its a copy or knock off...

If Anso is guilty of making a knock off or copy, than so am I!
either that or both of us will continue to use the Spyderhole liscense that we were kindly granted by Spyderco.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To expand a bit on what Brad said, Spyderco has for years licensed the use of the Spyderhole opener to a number of custom knifemakers around the world. Some of them, like Jens Anso, Kevin Wikins, Howard Viele, Fred Perrin, and the late Frank Centofante and Bob Lum, have also done collaboration models with Spyderco. Others, like our own Brad S, Pat Crawford, Jurgen Schanz, and Les George, are licensed but have not done a collaboration, at least not yet.

While there are also some knifemakers out there who use the Spyderhole without acquiring a license, it's a very safe bet that anyone with a collaboration model is properly licensed. Some of those who are licensed choose to note that fact on their websites, some do not. I think doing so is a good idea, but AFAIK Spyderco does not require it as a condition of the license.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

Well thats why I put Asno with the question marks (??) after it. Because I wasnt sure if it was legitimate or not. Im just a casual knife collector who appreciates a good piece of well designed steel much like this one --> http://www.southardknives.com/images/st ... g_0893.jpg So pardon me for not being one the lates colabs.
Charles
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Its all good charles! Sorry if I came off harsh, I really shouldn't write posts at 2 in the morning when I can sleep, comes off grumpy no matter what. Sometimes I assume everyone knows about all the spyderco models, and forget that it is in fact the other way around.

Jen Anso is a liscensed user of the Spyderhole, and makes a sweet knife! I love the Bastid model.

Thanks much as well for the compliment on my fixed blade there :) . That's a fun one. Kinda wonder what thes guys at spyderco would think of it :) .

Cheers
Brad
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Anso makes some great knives, i actually finally pulled the trigger on a rock lobster, i cant wait to get it and try it out. It will need to be pretty good to get my Bradley out of my pocket. He also has some funny nakes for knives...MOFO, i want to get it just for the name alone.. :p :p.

Side note, Hey Brad, i just checked out your site, i love the copper look on that one. The about me page is cut off..just an fyi.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thanks Tony! Fixed :rolleyes:
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

here is a similiar question. i dont think spyderco has patents on their serration type or the patent might have run out by now. If that isnt the case does spyderco let other knifemakers use their type of serrations. thanks
My knives
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tonydahose wrote:here is a similiar question. i dont think spyderco has patents on their serration type or the patent might have run out by now. If that isnt the case does spyderco let other knifemakers use their type of serrations. thanks
The pattern may have been patented, in which case the patent would have expired years ago. The name they gave that pattern, SpyderEdge, is a trademark but I don't believe the actual serration pattern is.

Do know that a number of other companies have adopted the pattern and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them credit Spyderco for it. Less certain about custom makers. I'll admit my interest in, and knowledge of, custom knives is pretty limited, but I can't recall ever seeing a serrated custom folder.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

The Deacon wrote:The pattern may have been patented, in which case the patent would have expired years ago. The name they gave that pattern, SpyderEdge, is a trademark but I don't believe the actual serration pattern is.

Do know that a number of other companies have adopted the pattern and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them credit Spyderco for it. Less certain about custom makers. I'll admit my interest in, and knowledge of, custom knives is pretty limited, but I can't recall ever seeing a serrated custom folder.
well down the road if all the planets are aligned and i start making my own knives i'll make one for you Paul :)
My knives
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

The Deacon wrote:The pattern may have been patented, in which case the patent would have expired years ago. The name they gave that pattern, SpyderEdge, is a trademark but I don't believe the actual serration pattern is.

There are custom folders with serrations, but they are very few and far between. People just don't like serrations on their custom folders. If it does have serrations it's usually maybe 30-35% of the blade. I have only seen Reese Weiland's customs have full SE blades.

At this moment I haven't seen spyderco serration pattern on any custom folder out there. The serration pattern is usually unique to the maker.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Humm, asno means donkey in Spanish...
More seriously, why is it that every time people see a custom knife with a Spyderhole they choose to post it in this section of the forum?