Cricket helps carve a foam donut for Peak flashlight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amar

Cricket helps carve a foam donut for Peak flashlight

Post by amar »

Hello friends,

Until now, I never realized the different shape of the Cricket's blade -- today it saved my day, and my flashlight when I "carved" a foam donut for it. Peak LED Solution's Matterhorn AAA flashlight does not have a spring at the base, but uses a foam donut for cushioning effect. This is also known as "battery crusher" design.

Now the donut in my Peak was totally worn out, and the battery was rattling for lack of cushion. I am in India, and getting a donut from Peak shipped here is not worth the cost of shipping, so I finally decided to give it a try. This is where Cricket came absolutely handy, and I appreciated its blade curve -- the way it literally carved out the donut, and helped put a nice tiny hole in the center was simply brilliant, and could not have been easily achieved by other blade shapes. I also noticed that the protruding belly of the Cricket helps your fingers from getting too close to the surface and helps in absolute precision cuts.

Here is what I did:
(1) Cut the round shape from the foam using the flashlight rim.
(2) Using Cricket, I reduced the diameter, since the inside tube has thick walls.
(3) Using Cricket's pointy tip, drilled a small hole in the center, and then slowly rotated the foam around the knife to increase the diameter of the hole. Slightly changing the angle of the blade took out the foam rapidly, and maintaining it at right angle to the foam polished it. :-) Cricket did the job very nicely, and I was really impressed.
(4) Put the donut inside the flashlight tube and slotted it in place using a pencil tip (that gave the graphite marks on the otherwise good looking red-donut. Haha!
(5) Using the battery, tested the functionality and the rattle was gone, and the operation was smooth.

What an amazing knife the Cricket is -- I am more impressed by the small blades that Spyderco has, and it corrected my incorrect perception that "bigger is better" for blades.

Thanks Sal, and the Spyderco crew for such a lovely knife.

Photos of the DIY task follow. Hope you enjoy viewing them, as much as I enjoyed carving the donut. :-)

-Amarendra

Donut

Post by Donut »

Poor donut! :)

Nice work.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Hmmmmmmm Donuts. ~Homer Simpson

I love the "S" shape of the Cricket. I wish I had an S shaped Meekat or even better, I wish this recent sprint run of the Meerkat had the S blade. Oh well, you clearly pointed out a cool function of the Cricket's blade shape and you fixed a problem with a flashlight (another love of mine). Thanks for the thread.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Good improvisation! Glad your light is back in order. I love the Cricket design for so many tasks. It is really my favorite keychain!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Good work and good photos, Amarendra. Thanks for sharing. I have an etched Cricket too. It's a great little knife. Before I got it, I didn't really like the look of the etched handle Spydercos, but it totally changed my mind. Now I'd like to get more of them. :)