How do you guys clean your knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ssmtbracer

How do you guys clean your knives?

Post by ssmtbracer »

How do clean your knives do you use plan ol soap and water or something else.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

If it's just a little dirt or goo from tape I'll wipe it off with a paper towel and give it a quick stropping on the jeans. If it's a mess then yes, a little soap and water and a good drying.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends. Plain hot water at max pressure if they're just gritty. Soap and hot water if I've used them for food prep or other tasks that leave them dirty but not gummy. Rubbing alcohol, followed by a hot water rinse, for most gummy residues. WD-40, followed by rubbing alcohol, followed by a hot water rinse for the most persistent tarry goo.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rick Grimes

Post by Rick Grimes »

Soap & Water, then some TUF-Glide.
4x Delica 4's (standard, Wave w/ dark gray/blue handle, FFG Brown, FFG Blue), Police 3, Barong, Khukuri, CF Caly 3 ZDP, Sage II.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Maytag !! J/K +1 on the wd. takes off glue and anything else. plus the lubrication factor.
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

The Deacon wrote: WD-40, followed by rubbing alcohol, followed by a hot water rinse for the most persistent tarry goo.
Dito On That Deacon; Thats What I Use When I Clean My Knifes And Works Out Great!!! :D
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

...elbow grease!!!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I wipe it on my jeans. Normally a bit of soap and water plus some elbow grease gets my blades clean, but if it's something gummy WD40 or goo gone will work. Although probably not the best things to clean a knife that will be used for food prep with, though.
chinook

Post by chinook »

Simple Green and a toothbrush, handsoap and hotwater, wife's hairdryer... Shhh,,, followed by Militec-1 (does not attract lint/dirt when dry) while still hot on both steel and sparingly on handles. Does wonders for G10 if they look a bit dry.
.><CHINOOK*>
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Usually soap and water depending on what i've done with the knife. I've also used Electra Motive. I find my 154CM manix 2 works best when i leave it dry as in no lubricants at all on the pivot. I do that jean wiping alot too. Although my Superhawk put a 4 inch slit in my pants once from not completely flipping the blade and cleaning it fast. I usually coat with rem oil except for my stretch because it sees food sometimes so i leave that uncoated.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

when i buy a used frn one and it is beat to crap, the dishwasher. it is against spyderco's recommendation but it works. i then dry the heck out of it and lube it up and buff the blade out.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
PureSeventyNine

Post by PureSeventyNine »

Wouldn't WD-40, then soap and water, then rubbing alcohol be better. I'm sure the rubbing alcohol would dry faster and desanitize at the same time. IDK, just a thought. Please correct me as this is something I wonder about.
(((((Edgeucational Student)))))
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
MILITARY
TENACIOUS
HONEYBEE
MANIX 2
ENDURA
DELICA
GUNTING T
ENDURA 3 T

MANIX 2
LADYBUG
CALY JR MBP
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Short answer is shirt or pants :)

If I have more time then Inox or WD40 and elbow grease. Sometimes soap and hot water. Then a swipe of Inox or Tuf Glide.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Regular dish soap, hot water and a toothbrush take care of my cleaning needs. Sometime I use the dishwasher at work but that's on the rare event I get a fill-in shift.

Only lubrication I use is some motor oil at the pivot-sometimes.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

would olive oil as a lubricant work on a knife that often used to cut food? of course it will be washed with soap and water before the olive oil.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

tonydahose wrote:when i buy a used frn one and it is beat to crap, the dishwasher..
I know you're only doing that with beater knives, but the thought still makes me cringe a little bit! :eek:
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Dish soap sponge and hot water, dry with cotton and just a small amount of lube for firearms in pivots currently i use one called CNC. I do not use to clean the blade with oil because usually i use my knife for cutting bread, i leave oil on blades only on stored knives.
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:would olive oil as a lubricant work on a knife that often used to cut food? of course it will be washed with soap and water before the olive oil.

It would work but the olive oil could turn rancid. A better solution for food safe lubrication is mineral oil, which is food safe and won't turn nasty on you. YOu should be able to find it in the laxative section of your local Rx.

Post by amar »

Gummy residue like that from a duct tape can be removed by rubbing with edible-oil (coconut, for eg.), followed by a clean soft cotton cloth wipe.

-Amarendra
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

GMArthur wrote:It would work but the olive oil could turn rancid. A better solution for food safe lubrication is mineral oil, which is food safe and won't turn nasty on you. YOu should be able to find it in the laxative section of your local Rx.
Are you suggesting Spydercos get constipated? :p
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!