Maintence question!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kuolema

Maintence question!

Post by Kuolema »

Hey all!

Gotta question regarding cleaning off of rust! I know a lot of people use something such as Flitz to clean off rust specs and whatnot; but AFAIK this renders the knife unable from food prep (as Flitz is toxic :P), so my question is:

Is there a food-safe method to rust removal?

Thanx in advance :)
may it not be tricksy
Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

Scotchbrite pads?
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Noumenon wrote:Scotchbrite pads?
I'd advise against that. Scotchbrite pads scratch the steel and create an environment that is more inviting to rust in the future.

Proper rust removal should be done with 0000 steel wool. If you use it dry it's perfectly safe. Just blow the excess fibers away with compressed air or wash them out with tap water.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've had no problems using autosol or metalglo to clean rust and oxidization over the years. Just wipe down with isopropyl and mineral oil afterwards.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

spoonrobot wrote:I'd advise against that. Scotchbrite pads scratch the steel and create an environment that is more inviting to rust in the future.

Proper rust removal should be done with 0000 steel wool. If you use it dry it's perfectly safe. Just blow the excess fibers away with compressed air or wash them out with tap water.
The plastic ones will scratch? I haven't tested so I really don't know but I am surprised.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Noumenon wrote:The plastic ones will scratch? I haven't tested so I really don't know but I am surprised.
If you mean the green ones, yes they will.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
zombie

Post by zombie »

Kuolema wrote:Hey all!

Gotta question regarding cleaning off of rust! I know a lot of people use something such as Flitz to clean off rust specs and whatnot; but AFAIK this renders the knife unable from food prep (as Flitz is toxic :P), so my question is:

Is there a food-safe method to rust removal?

Thanx in advance :)
I've used flitz on a knife I cut food with, I just thoroughly washed the blade with alcohol then dish soap afterwards. I wonder now as well if it's ok to do this?

you could try and use tooth paste to remove rust. I think you use one part non gel toothpaste to one part baking soda. I haven't tried this but heard it works.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I use flitz.
I just don't think enough of it will ever transfer to my food to worry about it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
JT

Post by JT »

vampyrewolf wrote:I've had no problems using autosol or metalglo to clean rust and oxidization over the years. Just wipe down with isopropyl and mineral oil afterwards.
+1 on Autosol. Also, if one wants to polish the edge :cool: , this stuff works.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

vampyrewolf wrote:I've had no problems using autosol or metalglo to clean rust and oxidization over the years. Just wipe down with isopropyl and mineral oil afterwards.
Agree, a good cleaning. I do not think there would be enough of the product to hurt you.