Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

[quote="Koen Z"]Yes I am :cool:
Ti handle, with Ti compression lock like on the ATR. Large blade, pointing a little downwards like on the kuhkri. Fullers! :eek:
A big one on one side of the blade, and two smaller ones on the other side. Spyderco is still searching for sombody who can produce a blade with this fullers. FFG, and with some luck CPM3V!!
/QUOTE]

Thanks .... I was sold on as soon as the words "Ti'" & "compression lock" were used in the same sentence. Sounds like one **** of work knife. :D :D

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

So, I've been thinking lately that I really don't *need* any more Spydies, as my signature illustrates. Heck, my beloved D2 Para is rarely carried since I've found Mr Schempp's knives.

And then pictures of the new 2010 Spydies are posted. Parts 1 & 2 didn't overly excite me, except for Ed Schempp's Balance. However, Mr Blonde had evidently been only building up the crescendo with those posts because I got totally blown away with what came next...

Caly 3.5, Lum CF, Perrin PPT, Para 2, Tuff... OMG!!! :eek: :D :eek:

So much for my not *needing* any more Spydies! I might as well just direct deposit my paycheck into Spyderco's bank.

Now how am going to explain the bigger EDC tray to my wife... :p

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Have they ironed out the kinks with the Chinese steels to put in any of the Byrds?

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
brj

Post by brj »

Koen Z wrote:Any more questions? :)
actually, yes :)
did the :spyder: crew happen to drop any clues about the tero-tuf millie?
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi,

Show starts tomorrow so we're "on-the-road" for the IWA show.

We'd like to thank Wouter for his awesome photos and report. Thanx to Ted for his help and of course Jur.....awesome, as always.

I'd like to thank all of you for your interest and comments. The input that we get at the meet as well as the input here are valuable for us to understand and improve our models.

Hey Smooth One, Donut, Cosmo,

We recognize that there will be diversity in opinions and preferences. Actually we like the honest comments, positive or negative.

As a small company, we try to serve many niche markets. All with core ingredients, like safety, high performance, ergo, etc. but made to many personal preferences from size to price.

I don't think it's possible to make one design that all will agree is optimal, but small differences are often the refinements that evolve into an optimal portable cutting tool for our very knowledgable customers. These might be optimal for a size range, strength requirement, local laws, lock type or material requirements.

A few comments;

Hi Jens, we just decided to make the Zulu model with a right hand tip up/tip down clip position (sorry to the left handers). We felt that the added pads and clip mounts took too much away from the front scale. If you, or any of the viewers have an opinion, it would be appreciated if you share.

Hi 224477,

I believe Eric plans a left / right tip up clip for the Szabo folder.

The Kiwi slipit should be the same size as the current Kiwi. It apears larger because of the flat scales. It's very difficult to open with one hand. (I'm sure some of you could, but you could probably open any knife with one hand). It should be a good model for Germany, Belgium and the UK. It was also requested by the knife guys on BB. It's easy to carry, safe and comfortable to use, and will probably MSRP for about $25. The Grasshopper, as well will also serve those customers that want to carry a slim, socially friendly pocket knife that's spwcifically designed for user friendly function.

Hi DM,

We're still pushing on the steels. Haven't gotten there yet, but will continue.

Brj,

Tero-tuff didn't work out. We weren't satisfied with the finish that we could get on the material we purchased. It just looked unfinished with blotches of color changes. Sorry.

sal
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

DMgangl wrote:Have they ironed out the kinks with the Chinese steels to put in any of the Byrds?

DM
What kinks? Sticking with the current standard of 8Cr13MoV would be just dandy. It's a nice steel.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
MLR

Post by MLR »

exParrot wrote:Phenomenal pictures Mr. Blonde, some fantastic knives.

Can you comment on the action of the Para 2? Did Sal end up incorporating the self-close feature or is the action identical to that of the current Para?
Apologies if this has been answered, but I didn't see it and still wondering...
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sal, thanks for the response. Different options don't bother me as much as I might suggest. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
antoine

Post by antoine »

Very very very nice production ! :)
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Thanks for your detailed response Sal! That speaks volumes when the "head honcho" gets online to inform us end users on the direction of the company's products in real time.

Keep up the great work and I've become a true believer and new fantatic in the Spyderco product line.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Agreed, thanks for the insights and comments. Really loving the direction you are going this year.
Ted

Post by Ted »

exParrot wrote:Phenomenal pictures Mr. Blonde, some fantastic knives.

Can you comment on the action of the Para 2? Did Sal end up incorporating the self-close feature or is the action identical to that of the current Para?
MLR wrote:Apologies if this has been answered, but I didn't see it
and still wondering...
IIRC, the PM2 prototype had a ball bearing detent in the compression lock which improved the self-close feature. The prototype was a bit difficult to unlock because of this but Eric commented that the production piece will be better.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

The detent on my Walker is the most secure I have felt to date, even more secure than my D2 and S90V Militaries which is saying something! Great job Sal, Eric, Mr. Walker, and the Spyderco R&D! There are so many Production prototype models that I'm super excited to try! Again, thanks to Wouter for the pictures!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Sal, I hope you and Eric enjoyed the Belgian beers!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I read through the whole thread, and unless I missed something, this wasn't mentioned. How does the CF on the Lum feel? I'm not a fan of slick CF, so I'm hoping it's textured in some sort of way.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Ted

Post by Ted »

jabba359 wrote:I read through the whole thread, and unless I missed something, this wasn't mentioned. How does the CF on the Lum feel? I'm not a fan of slick CF, so I'm hoping it's textured in some sort of way.
It was polished and not textured, so ... very slick. It looks stunning however.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

First of all thanks to Mr Wouter and his professional report like always.

A lot of nice and smart pieces here

in my opinion the best one are
Balance
Matriarch
Native 4
Caly 3.5
Carbon Bob lum
Shabaria and paramilitary.

Im only sorry about the bad economical period so i dont think i will able now to buy all them, i hope to keep a copy of shabaria one of most beautiful design on my opinion in spyderco like
the other model i will try to buy soon will be para 2 i have a D2 para new in box i care everyday one military i think the best piece on my collection as feeling, since i bought i leave at home only a couple of times replaced him with some other pieces but native its too big to care around so para will be best size for me with the low profile will be less invasive near pocket i like this refinement very much, i hope to see a foliage green version with polished clip but even black will be ok.
And as number 3 i will try to keep a Balance very nice and smart piece.

Thanks again to Mr Blonde, and thanks to spyderco, Sal Eric and everyone make to me proud to be a spyderco lover and user.

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the feedback Sal :)
The MSRP on the ss kiwi says I should get one of those too. At least for travelling to NWOs. :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
sal

Post by sal »

MLR wrote:Apologies if this has been answered, but I didn't see it and still wondering...
Hi MLR,

The prototype had a ball bearing detent. I don't know if the new self close will be on the first run of the "2" version. It's development is a few months behind the Para2.

Also, we had 23 concept models for which we didn't show pictures as they are not far enough along and we've not begun tooling. There were several Ed schempp designs, two Dialex designs, Perrin, Bradley and others. They are quite interesting and will more than likely move forward, but they are farther behind on the list.

sal
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Sal, yet again you show unbelievable dedication to your customers.

I hope I did not come off like a jerk in my last statement, although I dont think you took it that way anyway.

Just another example of why I keep coming back to spyderco.
Come Join Us Click Here