Which Spyderco would you use for steak?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Can anyone tell me why would you choose a PE spydie to cut a steak on a ceramic plate, how does it work? Wouldn't it be like pressing the sharp edge straight on to sharpmaker stones and destroy the edge immediately?
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

Serrated Endura.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

LowTEC wrote:Can anyone tell me why would you choose a PE spydie to cut a steak on a ceramic plate, how does it work? Wouldn't it be like pressing the sharp edge straight on to sharpmaker stones and destroy the edge immediately?
I wouldn't choose it, I'd use it because it's what would be in my pocket when the restaurant's cutlery proved inadequate. When that happens, there are several ways it can be done with no, or minimal, damage to the edge.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Sage II here, ecept I rarely get to use it, when in a steak restaurant my wife asks for my knife. I keep it sharp and haven't noticed much damage from the plates. Couple swipes on the sharpmaker and it's sharp as ever. At home my wife uses a Global paring knife, then I get to use the Spyderco. IMHO if you know how to sharpen a knife, you don't need a serrated edge...except maybe in a rescue tool.

Grizz
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

LowTEC wrote:Can anyone tell me why would you choose a PE spydie to cut a steak on a ceramic plate, how does it work? Wouldn't it be like pressing the sharp edge straight on to sharpmaker stones and destroy the edge immediately?
I was just going to reply that I wouldn't use a Spydie unless the plate was paper, and your's was the first thread I saw. Why would I want to press a sharp edge across something I could sharpen it on? I wouldn't - plain and simple, and yes, there would be some damage. Only if there was no other knife available would I do it, but that won't happen, because restaurants always have them - crappy or not. At BBQ's and with paper or plastic plates, I wouldn't hesitate.

- best wishes, Jazz.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

At home, I use a set of cheap Henckel Eversharp steak knives that I've reground. They came with these awful hacksaw teeth-like serrations that tears up meat and gets loaded up with bits of meat after a few cuts. I ground the teeth off and put a thin 20 degree v-edge on them. I touch them up on my paper wheels when they get dull so I'm not spending a lot of time maintaining them either.

When I'm out, my Sage does the job if the restaurant steak knife is too dull.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Of course if the steak is tough, Ed's chopper might be more appropriate.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
rodloos

Tough meat?

Post by rodloos »

I'm thinking my teeth must not be up to a carnivore's task :)

If the steak is so tough I need a razor-sharp knife to cut it, I'll probably order chicken instead so my jaw isn't worn out from chewing tough meat. I have used a nice sharp knife to cut steak on a paper plate before, for example when camping, but it takes extra attention to not cut the paper plate.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Which ever one I have on me at the time.
Hold Fast

David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use my CF stretch 2 on steaks. I also get my steaks rare so there's no need for serrations.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I agree with most, I use whatever I have on me and I always have atleast one that is razor sharp in one of my pockets. But why wouldn't you use a lil temp with it's FFG blade?
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

liltemp1 wrote:All of them, except ATR and Liltemp.
I agree with most, I use whatever I have on me and I always have atleast one that is razor sharp in one of my pockets. But why wouldn't you use a lil temp with it's FFG blade?
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I use this for an everyday food prep knife.

Blue C14 Rescue - slightly modded by STR.

Although, that new Jason Breedon Rescue looks like it will work pretty good for this too (I do hope there is going to be a serrated version!)
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE