Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Post by JT »

Wouter,
THANKS for the great pictures! Can't wait for more!
We still need to know the size of the bug, and if you have any "in hand" pics of the Balance? That hits home so hard.. I want all of the Balance variants! :cool:

-J-

PS; that clear Manix looks like a toy.. i know it isn't but.. no thanks for me.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Awesome pics Wouter. Of them all the Balance and large Kiwi really do it for me, I hope they come out soon.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

great pics Wouter. i am looking foward to the balance, it looks like a great design. As for the manix, wouldn''t it be cool if they could put some insert below the clear frn with "2010 :spyder: Forum" underneath it. :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
RLR

Post by RLR »

Finally I will have some Balance in my life! :)
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

I really, really, REALLY hope that the metal used for the Balance handle will be titanium!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

tonydahose wrote:As for the manix, wouldn''t it be cool if they could put some insert below the clear frn with "2010 :spyder: Forum" underneath it. :D
I don't see where you'd put the insert since this has no liners.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

RJNC wrote:Wouter mentions that he added the red acrylic spyderco spyder for size perspective, but how big is that red spyder?
The acrylic spyderbug is 3cm across or about 1,18 inch. But intended to be more helpful to judge the relative size between the various prototypes, since I couldn't get them all in one shot.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Nederspyder wrote:I really, really, REALLY hope that the metal used for the Balance handle will be titanium!
Me too! That would be a heck of a knife. I like this design quite a bit but stainless steel? I don't know. I'd probably buy the CF version depending on cost, but titanium would be sexy!
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Those all look like must-haves to me.. wow. Especially the Kiwi is good news imho :)
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Excellent photo's Wouter!

It was once again a very interesting meet. Sal, Eric, Gail and Jur once again made us feel very welcome! Very enjoyable.

JD
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Great job on these photos, I love these new designs. On the clear FRN M2, how about using the low-riding wire clips?
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

The clear Manix looks cool. Love the wire clip. Removing the liners from the equation definitely solves the expected weight loss. The pinned construction kinda brings it down a notch, but they must have to compromise somewhere. I am just wondering if the clear material is actually FRN or a new material like the polymer cage in the CBBL.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

wouter im hitting f5 every 2 seconds! :p you got more pics coming? im dying! :D
anyway thanx for the "clear" pics. they truly are great! you can really see the details. i wish my pics were that good. could you explain a little more in detail about what happened from start to finish. like from the minute you walked in to you left. how long, how many knives were shown, eta/price, all the possible details. how long did it last? was sal and eric both their? ed? taz? did the goody bag have different models of the frnukpk? any eta on them? will they come in all three edges on the leaf/drop point? was the grasshopper there? and what about that "pterodactyl" model mentioned on the kc blog after shot? or the "superleaf" sorry to be a nuisance but i was very excited and upset i missed it. i love holland and am going again in april 16 leaving friday night and getting back the following friday. so i missed it by a month :( maybe some one besides wouter (who has been berated by all of us) can do a write up of this years spydie meet!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Mr Blonde

Matriarch Sprint Run

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Matriarch was made around 10 years ago in limited production at the request of a South African distributor. With the rise in violence toward women, the Matriarch was made to support a specific self-defense class. The technique apparently involves cutting the tendons behind the knees, leaving the attacker immobile. The matriarch takes its name from the lead female in elephant herds. The main diffe rences with the original model are the full flat grind and the brown FRN. It kind of looked like a chocolate color to me. Both PE and SE models will be available for this sprint run.

Wouter
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Woah!!!! Five of those!!!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Mr Blonde

Grasshopper

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is another model in the ‘bug line’, the biggest so far. It’s slightly smaller than the Kiwi Slipit and equally tough to open. Part of that will smooth in the production process, but it will resist ‘flicking’ to accommodate ‘flicking laws’. The Grasshopper, like the bug and honeybee, is a Chinese made slipit.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Native 4

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Native 4 prototype looked very similar to the CF Native 4. This production prototype is made from G10, it lost the swedge and there is jimping on the spine. The jimping continues for about 0.25 inch on the spine of the locking bar. It’s a very refined feature.

Wouter
Cuttingedge

Post by Cuttingedge »

The minimeet 2010 was very very nice. I learned a lot about knives from Eric and Sal. Saw a lot of eyecandy and Wouter I have lots of respect how you spent your time a the meet to
give us these beatiful pictures so we'll all remember the sheer beauty of 'almost' perfect knives. And in my view it's really remarkable that a knife maker values our opininion on knives so high..
Sal Eric, Jur
and of course Wouter,

Thanx for making this a beautifull day to remember ,
Cu again next time!!!!!
:D :spyder: Ben
Mr Blonde

Delica Damascus Sprint Run

Post by Mr Blonde »

When the 25th anniversary Delica was made, the original idea was to make it with the blue jigged bone handle you see here. However, it was felt that it didn’t match Ed Schempp’s excellent bolsters. The maker has been sitting on the blue jigged bone handles ever since. Now the handles will be used in this sprint run. The Damascus blade is made with a VG-10 core and the outer layers are also made from a stainless steel.

To be continued...

Wouter
catamount

Post by catamount »

SmoothOne25 wrote:and what about that "pterodactyl" model mentioned on the kc blog after shot?
That was the Breeden Rescue.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex