Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Post by Mr Blonde »

This year was the biggest meet to date, both in the number of models that went through my hands and in the number of attendees. I believe around 75 people attended this year’s meet. It’s always great to see how easy all these ‘strangers’ connect to each other through their common interest in Spyderco knives.

This time, I started shooting photos during the passaround and introductions given by Sal and Eric. So I didn’t catch many of the details and information about the prototypes. I’m sure the other attendees can add info and opinions as this thread moves along. I also added a small acrylic bug in some pictures to give you a better idea of the relative size of the prototypes.

Enjoy,

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Ed Schempp Balance

Post by Mr Blonde »

This model has been on my radar for the past two years when it was still a concept model. There will be a limited run with a carbon fiber handle, as shown here. The regular production model will feature an all metal handle with a Chris Reeve type integral lock, much like the spin. I love this little cutter. It feels like it’s bigger than a Jester but smaller than a Kiwi. It really locks in the hand, definitely as must have for me. I suspect this knife will work great around the office; opening mail, cutting out articles or peeling some fruit for lunch etc...

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Jason Breeden Rescue

Post by Mr Blonde »

This knife will have a VG-10 blade and it will be made in Japan. The G10 for the handle btw, will be shipped to Japan so the knife can be assembled there. Incidentally, when the reverse happens –when parts are shipped to Golden for assembly- Spyderco generally won’t mark the knife as ‘made in USA’. This Jason Breeden model has IMO a similar heft and feel as the Captain. It may seem a little blocky, but it feels pretty good in the hand and it’s lighter than it looks from these pics.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Kiwi SS Slipit

Post by Mr Blonde »

Apparently the Kiwi was originally intended to be a slipit, but it just couldn’t be turned into a slipit in the original size. This version is a little bigger than the original kiwi, leaning towards a Delica size, and it’s a slipit. The slipit action was a bit rough on this prototype. I suspect it will become smoother when this Kiwi becomes a production knife, but Spyderco is looking to a ‘rougher’ opening action for this slipit so that it complies with ‘ flick-laws’ of some countries.

As a side note, in some countries the G10 Delica was not qualified as a ‘ flick-knife’ because customs could never flick it open (when held by the handle). There is simply too little steel in the blade –and weight- to swing the blade out with any force.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Manix 2 FRN

Post by Mr Blonde »

I have to stop here for today, but I decided to stop with a nice surprise (at least to me). This is a Manix 2 with a clear FRN Handle. The Manix has gone through quite an evolution, and it’s still evolving. The original goal was to create a ‘ small’ tough and do-all folder. The original Mini Manix was too heavy for most users. The Manix 2 has incorporated some major refinements: less weight, bigger lanyard hole, the lock (and opening action). This FRN version is a lightweight alternative to the Manix 2.

This prototype was a tiny bit ‘squeaky’ in the handle, when it was tightly gripped, but I’m sure that will be solved in the production version. This handle turns the tank-like regular Manix 2 into a lightweight. It feels very light in the hand with all the heft going to the blade. The see-through is a cool feature. It turns a ‘tactical folder’ into a techno-gizmo and conversation piece. The ergos were very nice. FRN is always softer to the touch than G10 slabs and steel liners, and this FRN handle was no exception to the rule. According to Eric this FRN Manix 2 won’t be as strong as the regular model, but not by much.

To be continued...

Wouter
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Awesome!!!
rycen

Post by rycen »

Great pics as usual!Am I the only on who would buy tha M2 with clear FRN?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Nice, thanks for the awesome pictures! Those all look great!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

rycen wrote:Great pics as usual!Am I the only on who would buy tha M2 with clear FRN?
Me, and I really like the rescue knife too... don't see why it couldn't be an EDC knife either. The Kiwi is cool too. **** they're all cool, but my favorite is the rescue knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That Jason Breeden model looks great. That thing could bump the Rock Lobster off my "to get" list. Since you labelled it Rescue, I wonder if they will make it Serrated.

The balance is interesting. It reminds me of the description of the Leaf bladed Swick.

The Manix 2 Lightweight... Do the prototypes normally come with non-adjustable screws? I would think liners like the Endura would be needed, not just for stability but for balance, too. It should be interesting to see how this holds up.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

rycen wrote:Great pics as usual!Am I the only on who would buy tha M2 with clear FRN?
No, the voting for a Forum Manix 2 had the majority voting for clear scales.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

It's interesting that the Manix has a wire clip.. I think that fits the clear FRN (I think that's why there are no liners too-otherwise you would only see the liners underneath).
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Oh no. My wallet just shrieked in terror. It knows it's going to be empty soon. All of those are on my list now! Particularly the Balance and the FRN Manix. I live that's it's clear FRN.

Nice work, Wouter!

Great work, Spydercrew!!!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
Donut

Post by Donut »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the wire clip... if it goes through like that, it gives the option for a deep pocket carry clip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
MCM

Post by MCM »

+1 on the Manix 2 wire clip.
IMO they all should have been made this way.

The balance seems smaller than I thought.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

The Balance looks almost like a mini Khukuri. Would love to see some "in the hand" pics. Of course I'd also like to see a side by side of the original SS Kiwi with the SS Slipit Kiwi.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

That Manix II looks really good, I like that a lot. Thanks for the pictures Wouter.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

woah that manix is wacky looking! i imagine when it comes out it might have some color added though? or do you think it will really be clear?
are these like for 2011? or what, if any, eta? are all the shot show stuff (matriarch, ukpk-frn, del/end-ffg, pterodactyl shaped blade knife, grasshopper, larger lum cf, superleaf, bifold, etc) will be out this year and these prototypes are still in the "being made" process?
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Tank

Post by Tank »

I love the Kiwi Slipit, wow.
-John
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I'll be getting that JB Rescue for sure.

And the clear Manix 2 reminds me of Micornauts. Anyone remember those?
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php