Carbon Fiber Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ickkey

Carbon Fiber Delica?

Post by ickkey »

I just picked up a Delica C11CF, right hand plain edge. On the back of the blade it has 065 of 150. I thought Spyderco made a larger run than 150 in the RH plain edge or did they do another smaller run of these? This has got me puzzled, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John Z.
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

Usually collector numbers appear on the blade. Pictured below are my two numbered CF Delicas. I have a third that simply has "279" on the blade in the same area. Since your "065 of 150" is on the reverse side of the blade, it may possibly be a pilot run. Is it etched like in the photo below or engraved in the blade? Maybe some collectors may chime in on this one for the story.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A picture of the knife would help.

While all the CF Delicas were numbered, your description does not sound like the way any that I have seen are numbered. Not sure what you mean by "back of the blade", but Spyharpy's examples show the location (side opposite the clip) and font all that I have seen use and I have never seen one in the nnn of nnn format. Possible explanations might include a "Japan market" run, a Spyderco employee getting creative numbering on for himself, or someone outside of Spyderco adding the "of 150" part after purchasing the knife.

FWIW, production numbers were 600 each RH PE and RH SE, 150 each LH PE and LH SE for a total of 1500 pieces.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ickkey

Post by ickkey »

Here are some pics of the knife that I borrowed from the buyer............
Attachments
SPYDERCODELICACFBLDBK.jpg
SPYDERCODELICACFBLDBK.jpg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
SPYDERCODELICACF.jpg
SPYDERCODELICACF.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's definitely not the way the ones marketed by Spyderco were numbered. If you get the box with it, that may hold some clues. "Japanese market" boxes are white, with pretty much everything except Spyderco's name in Kanji. The ones sold here have dark grey boxes with all the writing in English.
Paul
ickkey

Post by ickkey »

I guess that solves the mystery................ The box has Japanese writing all over it. Must have been made for the "Japanese market". Does it make it any more or less desirable of a knife being that it's made for the Japanese market? If anyone can post a pic of the backside (clip side) of there CF Delica, I would greatly appreciate it!

Deacon thank you for all your help,

~john Z.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Interesting. As a general rule, Japanese market versions of knives also sold in the US are worth a bit less than the US version. As for the clip. My CF Delica is left handed, which means the clip is on the opposite side, so I'm not sure if the RH version used the same clip or not, but here it is...

Paul
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The clip on the right hand version is the same, I checked it on my exemplars.

This is the first time I hear from Carbon Spydies for the Japanese market only. For the records: We have the well known 1500 pieces plus the ominous new 150 Japanese market pieces.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The more you research Spyderco history, the more you know how little you know. :D

Again, there are multiple possibilities. Not sure if there's any way to narrow them down, unless a Japanese Spyderco collector chimes in. Could be that part of the 1500 piece batch was allocated to the maker, could be an additional quantity was made by them for local sale. Either way, the numbers could have been put on by the maker, by a Japanese dealer, or by someone else.
Paul
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

ickkey wrote:I just picked up a Delica C11CF, right hand plain edge. On the back of the blade it has 065 of 150. I thought Spyderco made a larger run than 150 in the RH plain edge or did they do another smaller run of these? This has got me puzzled, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John Z.
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:Hey Z man...Welcome to Spyderforums bro :) Nice score dude! That cf looks like the cf on my cf Caly3 :eek: Not a help at all, just a welcome, and a few cents :D lol John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
ickkey

Post by ickkey »

bladese97 wrote: :spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:Hey Z man...Welcome to Spyderforums bro :) Nice score dude! That cf looks like the cf on my cf Caly3 :eek: Not a help at all, just a welcome, and a few cents :D lol John
Thanks for the welcome, been lurking for a while now and decided to get my feet wet. I sure appreciate all the to help fellas!
MCM

Post by MCM »

I got one today. The scales may be aftermarket?
Will post pics later.
Does, or did anyone make polished after market cf scales for the Delica?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

PICS Who made these scales? They are great!

slick228

Post by slick228 »

The Carbon Fiber Delica was a Delica 3 and by the looks of your pictures, your blade is from a Delica 4. :eek:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just found out they were custom made by a fellow in Florida. :)
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

slick228 wrote:The Carbon Fiber Delica was a Delica 3 and by the looks of your pictures, your blade is from a Delica 4.
Sorry to say that, but that's definitely the blade of a Delica 3.
The 4. Generation Delicas (and Enduras) have not that acute tip.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Spyharpy wrote: Image
Those are gorgeous. A couple of CF lefty D3s were my first intro to Spyderco. They're retired now and enjoying a quiet life in my closet, but I'll always hold on to 'em.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
slick228

Post by slick228 »

anson argyris wrote:Sorry to say that, but that's definitely the blade of a Delica 3.
The 4. Generation Delicas (and Enduras) have not that acute tip.
I disagree with your assessment. If you look at MCM's pictures, the blade has the Spyderco logo on it and there is jimp on the spine. These are features of the Delica 4. Also, you can compare the blade shape with Spyharpy's pictures as well. BTW, I EDC a plain edge stainless steel Delica 4 and I also have the factory Carbon Fiber Delica in my collection.

:spyder:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
MCM

Post by MCM »

Am not a Delica xprt.
But the box with the orig scales & back spacer in marked
C11PBK LH
If that helps.......
araneae

Post by araneae »

slick228 wrote:I disagree with your assessment. If you look at MCM's pictures, the blade has the Spyderco logo on it and there is jimp on the spine. These are features of the Delica 4. Also, you can compare the blade shape with Spyharpy's pictures as well. BTW, I EDC a plain edge stainless steel Delica 4 and I also have the factory Carbon Fiber Delica in my collection.

:spyder:
You are correct. The blade may have been reshaped slightly by whoever did the scales. Those are some exquisite scales by the way. Whoever the maker is they did a superb job. Looks like the scales were milled out for the nested liners.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal