Anyone else chip there 9Cr18Mo Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
gac

Anyone else chip there 9Cr18Mo Mule?

Post by gac »

I have a couple small chips in my 9Cr18Mo Mule knife. Has anyone else had that model chip on them? I wish I knew what the edge chipped on.

I would take photos but my camera will not take that good a photo when on something so small.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I had the smallest chip from cutting through old paint to free up a window that I was temporarily removing from my brother's old house. I was using a lot of pressure when it happened. I do not fault the steel, just my usage.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've chipped every other steel that was harder than brass, so I'm pretty sure the 9Cr18Mo Mule is no exception. That happens when you use them hard enough.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gac

Post by gac »

I'm not complaining about the steel. I'm curious if and how it happened.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I've had very slight chipping on mine. I was abusing it at the time and wasn't surprised, but it was also very minor chipping. I was scraping the mold line off injection molded polycarbonate. Scraping perpendicular to your edge is just not nice, but sometimes necessary.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

gac wrote:I'm not complaining about the steel. I'm curious if and how it happened.
I didn't think you were. I just work on and around enough hard surfaces that everything gets chipped eventually. I've even managed to chip H-1, or at least knock the points off the teeth leaving what looked like chipped surfaces behind. I'm so used to it that I really don't pay any attention anymore. :o
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I haven't chipped mine, but I have noticed it takes a freakishly nasty edge.I like it so far.If they ever make some new Byrd models with the stuff they will be awesome .
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's a bit light on wear resistance for me. It's really, really easy to sharpen, and is a competent entry level steel IMO.

I'm carrying ZDP and CPM M4, so take my statements about wear resistance with a grain of salt.

I personally like it with a 1200 grit edge. It's not a steel I feel really benefits from a high polish. I tried it at 800, 1000, and settled on 1200 for EDC uses. No chipping or bending, but my use has been slicing, and cutting stuff open, that's about it. light cardboard mostly, as in food boxes, a few knife shipping boxes, etc. Cardboard likes large, nasty, vulgar carbides which why S90V is one of the champs.

I haven't seen much difference from the 8C Byrd steel, TBH.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
v8r

Post by v8r »

I like 8cr but I think 9cr is a step up. Mastiff you are right about it doing better with a more coarse edge, all you need is the gray stones on your sharpmaker, and it takes on a nice edge.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
gac

Post by gac »

I've been using the white stones for sharpening and have not seen an increased performance. I'll stick with the grey stones.

I think the steel has held up to usage but my S30V and VG10 last better. I have yet to get any knives with really hard steels like ZDP or M4.

EDIT: I do have trouble getting a keen edge on my 52100. I gather I need more patience and swipes on the stones.