The Paramilitary experience.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Water Bug - from the exif data from the photos it appears that he is shooting with a Nikon D3, that's some pretty serious hardware.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Chiba

Yep

Post by Chiba »

Mr.Sparkitle wrote:Water Bug - from the exif data from the photos it appears that he is shooting with a Nikon D3, that's some pretty serious hardware.
That's correct MR Sparkitle,
I wasn't totally sure if I used that or my D700, and I'm still out so i couldent check.. The lenses I used were both Macros- 60mm and my 105 VR. What the Exif won't tell you is that I used multiple flashes in some cases.

Thanks again for the compliments, :)
Chiba
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Chiba wrote:That's correct MR Sparkitle,
I wasn't totally sure if I used that or my D700, and I'm still out so i couldent check.. The lenses I used were both Macros- 60mm and my 105 VR. What the Exif won't tell you is that I used multiple flashes in some cases.

Thanks again for the compliments, :)
Chiba
Wow, I missed the information regarding the Nikon D3 (very cool camera, by the way). Where is that information located at with regards to these pictrues, if I may please ask?

Ah, yes, the Nikkor 60mm and 105mm VR Macros... excellent lenses! Have them as well.

That was the other question I was going to ask... flash set up. The quality of your images point to the fact that something more than a flash mounted on the hot shoe was used. Excellent work!
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

^ Depending on what browser you have you can download a plug in that will allow you to view EXIF data on an image. The exif data will include (usually) camera, lens, f/ stop, shutter speed, shooting mode, flashes fired and other similar info and then some really technical stuff that you will just skip through. I use Firefox at home and it has a plug in that when you right click on an image it gives you an option that says "View EXIF Data" If the person has not stripped the image of its exif then you can view all the details. EXIF can sometimes contain information you dont want to share like real names and company names. I have seen some funny stuff in EXIF data before.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Chiba

Post by Chiba »

Mr.Sparkitle wrote:^ Depending on what browser you have you can download a plug in that will allow you to view EXIF data on an image. The exif data will include (usually) camera, lens, f/ stop, shutter speed, shooting mode, flashes fired and other similar info and then some really technical stuff that you will just skip through. I use Firefox at home and it has a plug in that when you right click on an image it gives you an option that says "View EXIF Data" If the person has not stripped the image of its exif then you can view all the details. EXIF can sometimes contain information you dont want to share like real names and company names. I have seen some funny stuff in EXIF data before.
I use iexif on my pc and the firefox plugin on the mac. I leave my info on the photo's because free advertising never hurts :)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Ah, okay. Thank you both for your replies!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Outstanding pictures and review!!!! Thanks for sharing :)
Vic
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Wow great pics man! congrats on a great knife!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

hickster wrote:Great pictures, good review!
I have a Para in D2. I have handled a "normal" Para. Something about the D2 version is magic. Sort of like the diffenence in the S90V/CF Millie and the S30V/G10 Millie (got/had several). No "better" overall, but just silky smooth and somehow ...different, in a good way :confused: . And of course, D2 is a great steel- buttery smooth, yet tough.
Snap one up, if you can.
hickster
I have the same feelings about my D2 Para. It was the third Spydie I bought and it turned me into a Spyder-holic (I even bought a second one.) This is the smoothest operating knife I've ever held, and is my 'yardstick' for comparing all other knives to.

And yes, those are GREAT pictures!

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

So many nice pics and you forgot the in-hand shots... :D

Ookami
________
Mazda sentia picture
Chiba

Post by Chiba »

Ookami wrote:So many nice pics and you forgot the in-hand shots... :D

Ookami
Since you asked so nicely :p

Here it is in action and preparing dinner.

And here it is in my own hand.

Chiba
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I have one of the D2 Paras, and while it took me a long time to warm up to it (I'm a tip-up clip person), eventually something clicked after I made myself carry it for a while, and now it's a design I like a lot. Except for the clip (Mine came with a stripped screw on the clip, too, so I can't remove it.)
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Ok you guys. I just couldn't stand it any longer. The photos are killing me and I just had to take my fairly new Para-Military Digicam black blade out and admire it.

I'm in a hotel for a month while in training and couldn't stand it any longer. All I have is my iPhone so please don't compare these to the above Nikon D3 shots. (I left my ancient D200 at home :rolleyes :)
Attachments
ParaMilidigi.jpg
ParaMilidigi.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Chiba

Post by Chiba »

hey dorfinator,

I wouldn't knock the iPhone. Got some great shots with mine because that's what I had with me @ the time.

Digging the black blade and the lanyard btw.
Thx for posting!
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Chiba wrote:hey dorfinator,

I wouldn't knock the iPhone. Got some great shots with mine because that's what I had with me @ the time.

Digging the black blade and the lanyard btw.
Thx for posting!
Thx Chiba

I bought the parachute cord and cord ends at:

County Comm

BTW, I bought his big brother (Mili Digicam with black blade) yesterday and waiting on it being delivered to me while I'm away from home. :D

(I've been bitten really bad with the :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: disease!)
Chiba

Post by Chiba »

dorfinator wrote:Thx Chiba

I bought the parachute cord and cord ends at:

County Comm

BTW, I bought his big brother (Mili Digicam with black blade) yesterday and waiting on it being delivered to me while I'm away from home. :D

(I've been bitten really bad with the :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: disease!)
If you get the chance, post some side by side shots when you get it and let us what you think!

Chiba
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Chiba wrote:If you get the chance, post some side by side shots when you get it and let us what you think!

Chiba
I will definitely do that. My only beef with the para and mili is the tip down carry but G-10, color scheme, handling and ergonomics are so good, what can one say?
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

dorfinator wrote:Ok you guys. I just couldn't stand it any longer. The photos are killing me and I just had to take my fairly new Para-Military Digicam black blade out and admire it.

I'm in a hotel for a month while in training and couldn't stand it any longer. All I have is my iPhone so please don't compare these to the above Nikon D3 shots. (I left my ancient D200 at home :rolleyes :)
I hope your training instructor doesn't try to fail you, looks like you're prepared for battle. Nice pics and I really like the looks of the black blade. I have a black on black and it looked like yours for a short time but now it is all scratched up and doesn't look nice at all but works fine.

Has the para had any physical changes since the first model besides the blade steel and G-10 colors? thx
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

SteelDragon wrote:I hope your training instructor doesn't try to fail you, looks like our prepared for battle. Nice pics and I really like the looks of the black blade. I have a black on black and it looked like yours for a short time but now it is all scratched up and doesn't look nice at all but works fine.

Has the para had any physical changes since the first model besides the blade steel and G-10 colors? thx
No idea on the physical changes as I'm really new to Spyderco. I'll wait for one of the "experts" to answer your question!