What are you reading right now?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Just read a little fiction, Titanicus by Dan Abnett.

Marion
Marion David Poff
JBE

Post by JBE »

sarguy wrote:I thought Generation Kill was great. Not long ago I saw a 2nd edition with more info on the outcomes of the people featured in the book.

How's With the old Breed? It's on my Amazon wishlist.
I have the Second Edition then...Not sure how much more info is in it than the first...If you liked Generation Kill, I hear One Bullet Away is even better...it is written by Nathan Fick...one of the officers featured in Generation Kill...and is supposed to contain different points of view and insights of the same incidents and battles featured in Generation Kill.

As far as With The Old Breed...I just started it the other day...Very good so far...I'd recommend it...
Jason
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the economist, alaska economic trends, the federal register, various reports on rural alaskan communities and development strategies...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

One Second After (EMP attack on America everything shuts off scary book)

And a hard rain fell (book about The Nam)
Spydies are sharp enough to cut the fabric of Space and Time

:spyder:
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

clovisc wrote:the federal register...
I have to read the Fed Reg a lot for work. Please don't tell me you read it for pleasure! :eek:
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Delica_Nut wrote:One Second After (EMP attack on America everything shuts off scary book)
"One Second After" is a spectacular book, really changed my views of the world we live in, I almost wish I hadn't read it, ignorance is bliss, right? Anyway I'm currently reading "After Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein. It's a great alternative living/survivalist book.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Hahaha, embarrassing. I just read World War Z. It's a zombie apocalypse book. It was a fun read for a plane ride.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I'm reading "The Spyderco Story" for the first time, and loving it! :) :D :) :D
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I am re-reading Being and Time by Heidegger at the moment.
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

SAS Urban Survival Handbook by John "lofty" Wiseman:
http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Survival-Ha ... 1602392161
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

asfaltpiloot wrote:SAS Urban Survival Handbook by John "lofty" Wiseman:
http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Survival-Ha ... 1602392161
Ha! I just finished reading that one as well, very good survival manual, pretty much covers everything I think.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
gac

Post by gac »

Making a Killing: the explosive story of a hired gun in Iraq by James Ashcroft. Ex-British Army officer quits his lawyer job to take a higher paying job as a security contractor in Iraq in late 2003. I read a recommendation on ar15.com and decided to try it out.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im reading "I, Sniper" by Stephen Hunter. Not true literary art, but entertaining and I like the character.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

I've been reading "Excuses Begone!" by Wayne Dyer...very good read. Finished "Getting Back to Even" by Jim Cramer a while ago...another good read that I need to re-read. :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Im usually a Sci-Fi reader only, but defer to some politically sensative reading.

Currently: Turner Diaries.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

FLYBYU44 wrote:"One Second After" is a spectacular book, really changed my views of the world we live in, I almost wish I hadn't read it, ignorance is bliss, right? Anyway I'm currently reading "After Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein. It's a great alternative living/survivalist book.
One Second After is a great read and an eye-awakening book but is off the mark regarding the military's preparedness for an EMP event. It also exagerates the aviation industry's susceptability. Most aircraft will be landing after an EMP and not dropping out of the sky like stones. The fun will begin when they find failures in TRACON, navigation, and Approach Control facilities. Modern use of composite structures in aircraft is also leading to further research in EMP and lightning protection as the Farraday effect becomes less effective as aviation reduces the use of aluminum skins and alloyed support structures. Civilian communications, power infrastructure, and ground transportation and control are very much at risk as the book illustrates. Give Alas, Babylon a shot for a contrast on what the effect of nuclear war would have on a localized population as beleived in the late 50s. Not a bad read. Medical dimensions of nuclear war are pretty well laid out in an old favorite: Last Aide . Now there's a scary book.

Currently reading Contact and Frictional Electrification to gain more information for my electrostatics work at NASA. Also have Subverting Hatred: The Challenge of Nonviolence in Religious Traditions on the nightstand and Invictous to add a lighter balance. But I just might need a Chuck Pahuniak flight into warped reality or good rousing Robert Parker tale to get back to normal before long.

j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Devil in the white city
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Some time ago: "the milennium trilogy" by Stieg Larsson. Good read, fun, addicting, recommended.

After that: Pride and Predjudice and Zombies. Nice, but it's written in kinda "old school" English (like the original I guess :) ). Probably a must-have for Zombie-lovers.

Right now: "snel geld" (dutch), "snabba cash" in Swedish. Very good, kinda "raw", cant wait to get the next part (not translated in Dutch yet).
If you can find it in English, read it. recommended !!

JaM
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Just finished the very light A Home in Mitford and have started the slightly less light The Onion's Finest News Reporting, Volume One
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

FLYBYU44 wrote:Ha! I just finished reading that one as well, very good survival manual, pretty much covers everything I think.
Small world :D
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"