Buyer Beware!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OuchThatsSharp

Buyer Beware!

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

There is a posting on evilbay for a blue G-10 handled Native, Bladeforums model, 1 of 300. The blade etch doesn't look legit to me and the handles don't look like G-10 to me either. They look like a textured FRN plus someone drilled two large "dimples" into the handle. Guys says it's a "Rare Bird". Buyer beware!

Edit: Compared my Blue G-10 Bladeforums Natives to that one and it is not legit. BUYER BEWARE!
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Etch looks a bit odd in the one shot, like the dark and light areas are reversed compared to mine, but that may just be lighting since it does appear to be the right size, font, and location. Plus it looks just like mine in another shot. Compare it with my two below if you like. Dimples are definitely an aftermarket modification, so collector value is out the window. Handles look ok to me otherwise, perhaps worn a bit from carry. Have to assume it was a user, given the indexing dimples.

Edited to add: Could be wrong on this, but the birds eye view also shows something that looks suspiciously like a "seconds" notch to me. It's on the right side of the spine, forward of the jimping.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

it looks like the G10 has been polished to me
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

The handle contour does not look to be original. Along with the two added dimples in the handle it it also looks like the handles were recontoured.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OuchThatsSharp wrote:The handle contour does not look to be original. Along with the two added dimples in the handle it it also looks like the handles were recontoured.
Possible, wouldn't be the first time somebody deepened the cut to expose the entire Spyderhole. But the dimples stand out like a sore thumb. Still think it started life as a legitimate BladeForums Native, although possibly a second. Just not sure if any of the marked ones were sold as such, would seem more logical to QC check them first. So I may very well be seeing things when I see a notch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Looks like a real one with some scales mods.
They killed the value of it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

yeah i saw that. i was like "what are those two holes cut out?"
....or dimples rather :p
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
JLS

Post by JLS »

It sold for just over $150. I'll admit that I bid on it up to $80, it would've mad a good user.

There's one on ther now that looks mint with the box. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

a month ago i saw a nib go for like $180. it looked real. like pauls, no dips/dimples. i too am on the look out for one. are they all numbered? like that, non cc model. just all the 300 numbered, or also blue native g10 bladeforum without the num,ber on it?
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."