SHOT Show Video

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

Post by Ted »

nateaowen wrote:It is not impossible to flat grind H1, but it would be expensive to produce.
When full flat grinding a blade you must grind each side of the blade separately. This means that when you grind the second side the steel is much harder; so the stock removal becomes much more difficult.
With a hollow grind you can grind both sides of the blade at the same time instead of spending all day grinding one side of a blade.

Cliff Notes: It is possible to flat grind H1, but the production cost would be painful.
I don't think the hardening is the issue. I've been told that H1 will warp when ground on one side. So you need to alternate sides when grinding which is very labour intensive and costly in production.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Jay_Ev wrote: As someone who hasn't been to a SHOT show, what is exactly going on there? Behind Ed Schempp I see a bunch of people sitting around tables, what exactly are they talking about? Are they buying knives? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I honestly don't know :confused: :o
As far as I know it is where media and enthusiasts can go to the show and buy and order new products. It is mainly geared to dealers so they can get a heads up of what is going to be happening etc and I think it is dealers etc in the background that you see there. The main dealer in SA also flew to the show again this year if I remember correctly. It stands for the Shooting Hunting and Outdoor expo.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can tell you that among the folks I spotted in the background were Kristi, Joyce and Eric, plus at least one other Spyderco person I met at Blade in '08 but whose name eludes me at the moment. I might have caught a glimpse of Mrs. Gayle Glesser as well. As Zenith suggested, I'd imagine some of the folks chatting with them are dealers, distributors, and other potential "bulk" buyers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

The Deacon wrote:Can tell you that among the folks I spotted in the background were Kristi, Joyce and Eric, plus at least one other Spyderco person I met at Blade in '08 but whose name eludes me at the moment. I might have caught a glimpse of Mrs. Gayle Glesser as well. As Zenith suggested, I'd imagine some of the folks chatting with them are dealers, distributors, and other potential "bulk" buyers.

Some of the others in the background talking to the bulk dealers were Kelly Williams Spyderco Sales Manager, Lisa Underwood Sales Western US and Olive Draper. Mrs. G was there also. Took about an entire hour to go over the entire lineup of 2010 product with my rep Lisa. Completely missed Sal this year because of how long I visited with Lisa and Kelly...
Spyderco Collector #162
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JspyEDC wrote:Some of the others in the background talking to the bulk dealers were Kelly Williams Spyderco Sales Manager, Lisa Underwood Sales Western US and Olive Draper. Mrs. G was there also.
Could you describe or indicate where and at what point in the youtube they are visible so we might put faces with the names. Thanks.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

The Deacon wrote:plus at least one other Spyderco person I met at Blade in '08 but whose name eludes me at the moment.

Do you mean Jurphaas.
The European Spyderco employer.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I spotted Jurphaas as well in the video. Can't remember if he visited Blade '08.
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

The Shot Show is an amazing event for manufacturers and dealers. The public is not allowed unless they have an industry connection as a buyer, seller, media, or celebrity. The Spyderco area was in the lower floor and had an office/meeting area that was enclosed and a storage/break area on the other side. There was a ring of glass display cases that enclosed a carpeted meeting area. The display cases had current and production ready Spyderco models. The carpeted area had small tables for dealers to meet with company representative to ask questions about the 2010 line and to place orders. Most manufacturers have special deals for dealers during the Shot Show as a large pre-orders help them kick-off the new years sales. Over to the side there was a small round glass display case on a high table with prototypes for people to handle. Spyderco uses feedback from visitors to decide what they might want to develop further or produce. As for the video that I appeared in the background in, I was helping a dealer that I work with select knives to purchase for the new year.
There were at least 5-6 separate law enforcement/military areas with everything from SUVs with pop-up machine guns to bulletproof vests. Spyderco had a smaller booth with a smaller sampling of knives plus the automatic Spydercos. Tazkristi worked in that booth with several other employees.
Spyderco had some wonderful new knives out. The Warrior is awesome and though it will be pricey, it is probably the best knife of it's type available. The new Delica/Endura colors are very nice, and there are a few sprint run surprises coming down the line that should make you all happy. While it might seem like the Shot Show is all fun, and it is a blast, the Spyderco crew works extremely hard and manages to keep smiling. They always have a great crew assembled to work the show. Sal has the ability to attract talented people that are also honest and kind. Spyderco is one of very few knife companies that have integrity in their practices and dealings.
The Shot Show went from Tuesday through Friday. I can't begin to tell you how large it is other than to say that I am sure I missed some of it and I walk pretty fast. They had all of the gun, knife, and outdoor players assembled with a few exceptions, (I think Cold Steel was banned from the show).
One last thing about the show is that you can sometimes buy dealer samples from some of the companies on the final day, (not Spyderco). I picked up a number of interesting pieces that I really hope make it home in my USPS shipment. I hope this helps explain the show. If you ever have a chance to go it is an amazing experience. Just wear comfortable walking shoes.

spyderwa

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

laci Szabo was off camera in the video. I wonder how his (Proto-Folder) is coming along or is it?

Thanx, opinions... :spyder: :cool: :spyder:
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

What was the Grasshopper like spyderwa?
spyderwa

grasshopper

Post by spyderwa »

I didn't pay too much attention to the Grasshopper. If I remember correctly it is a larger version of the Honeybee. The Honeybee is far more usable than the Bug. All three knives are aiming for an inexpensive price-point but are actually very nice knives in the Slipit series. I might carry a Honeybee as a secondary pocket knife but would be more inclined to buy a bunch and hand them out as presents.

spyderwa
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I was hoping you'd have actually seen it there. Thanks for the response.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

thanks for posting this video, learned alot. cool seeing all the people involved

cant wait for these Delica's

from what Sal said, 5000 pieces in 5 different colors= 1000 each, shouldnt be a fast sell out so everyone cant get them when they come out.

EDIT: re watching the video Sal actually said 9000 pieces in 5 different colors = 1800 each
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RIOT wrote:from what Sal said, 5000 pieces in 5 different colors= 1000 each, shouldnt be a fast sell out so everyone cant get them when they come out.
True, but he also said they are a "trial", not a Sprint Run and that more will be made if they sell quickly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I finally finished watching the video... WOW! Anyone who sees it is sure to become a fan of Ed Schempp's collaborations. He provided much praise and technical explanations for the Warrior and the Gayle Bradley folder as well. Did anyone else pick up on the reference to future GB variations with perhaps skeletonized liners?

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

The Deacon wrote:True, but he also said they are a "trial", not a Sprint Run and that more will be made if they sell quickly.
but for the first time being it sounds like 1k of each color right ? given some colors might not sell well, it would be very crucial to pick them up now while they are available

lost my job and trying to save my money but im still buying these anyways :spyder: :confused: :D
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the great video.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

is it just me, i really like the ukpk with the saber grind, looks like a ukpk Delica to me
Ed Schempp

Shot

Post by Ed Schempp »

Shot is always an exciting show. Really a bastion of free enterprise, if you want to play in the industry you need to be there.

It is always good to see old friends and make some new ones.

There might have been fewer original new models but the improvements to the line contained many subtlies that the end line user may not notice right off but rarely find in any other line of knives. The Spyderco line not only grows but it evolves. As Sal would say, "no more than necessary, no less than perfect".

There are thousands working the show but few get the chance to work with the highest preformance team in the industry. Top to bottom Spyderco has the best team, best product knowledge across the board, and the highest value realiable high performance knives in the industry. OK, I'll admit to being biased, but it is my opinion.

I'm about as comfortable in front of a video camera as is a hooker in church. By the wasy I carry a 75mm persian...Thanks...Ed
Woz

Post by Woz »

Now i can´t wait for the IWA to see all these beauties in real life!