SHOT Show Video

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

Why can't H1 be flat ground?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I had this video on, kinda in the background as I was watching the Colts football game and when I glanced at my computer and saw Sal on the screen I actually muted the football game to listen to what Sal had to say. For me, that says a lot because I usually won't mute the game for anybody :D

As someone who hasn't been to a SHOT show, what is exactly going on there? Behind Ed Schempp I see a bunch of people sitting around tables, what exactly are they talking about? Are they buying knives? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I honestly don't know :confused: :o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Reeper22 wrote:Why can't H1 be flat ground?
It can, just not by Spyderco.

(at least that's what I understand) :o
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I think this is for the same reason that they "couldn't" do a rounded scale on the Gayle Bradley. It can be done, but would take too many man hours and tooling wear and would put the price above their target range.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

I am glad I watched the video. i have never seen Sal or anyone behind the scenes. Good to put faces with names. Even if they are older than expected. :D
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Man my wallet is screaming already :eek:
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
nateaowen

Post by nateaowen »

It is not impossible to flat grind H1, but it would be expensive to produce.
When full flat grinding a blade you must grind each side of the blade separately. This means that when you grind the second side the steel is much harder; so the stock removal becomes much more difficult.
With a hollow grind you can grind both sides of the blade at the same time instead of spending all day grinding one side of a blade.

Cliff Notes: It is possible to flat grind H1, but the production cost would be painful.
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Nutnfancy and Sal/Eric these 3 guys are superstars in my book, I would love to spend a day with them picking their brain. I'm around Hollywood stars as a part of my job and could care less but if I had a chance to meet Sal/Eric or Nutnfancy I would be so excited. Maybe one day.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

tan native but the o"e"f not iraq, i have seen the oif out of the package but i dont take mine out, so my oif/oef are in still in the package in my room and i cant even see the reverse side. :( its good to see the afghan in someones hand, first time ever.... :p
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

frn ukpk, wanted to see all models/colors. i have to say nutnfancy didnt do a good video...imho. i wanted pics of all colors, all new stuff and close ups and it seems like everything shown in the video was stuff we knew about already. i wanted to see the manix foilage green sprint and some stuff mentioned on the knifecnter blog like ti or cf ukpk, matriacth, superleaf, etc.... :(

WHY SAL DOESNT LIKE TO BE ON FILM? I WOULD HAVE LIKED HIM TO TALK ABOUT HIS LINE, YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD LOVE TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT ALL HIS GOODIES, HE KNOWS EVERYONE WOULD LOVE THAT?
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

he's a lot like my father it seems. Very modest and doesn't like attention.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

They're all a good bunch of guys. Nutnfancy is a little over enthusiastic sometimes, but as much as I would love to hate the guy for that fact I end up turning to his reviews all the time, they are probably the best on youtube and he has some really good points about certain things. Ed, Sal and Eric are all awesome guys as well.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Wish it had shown the Grasshopper.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

"When Edward was assassinated by Hamas...they identified his body by the Spydercos on his body"

Wow. My first thought is "That sucks", which is followed by an immediate "what a way to be ID'd!"
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

OK, I give up. Who, exactly is "Nutnfancy"? Is he an employee of Spyderco? Is he a member here? In any case, thank you for taking the time to make & post a vid, Nutnfancy. It is appreciated :)
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

It would appear that he does a lot of independent vid reviews on youtube. I've never seen his stuff before, but I have subscribed to his page and will be viewing his other vids.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Jay_Ev wrote:OK, I give up. Who, exactly is "Nutnfancy"? Is he an employee of Spyderco? Is he a member here? In any case, thank you for taking the time to make & post a vid, Nutnfancy. It is appreciated :)
All I know is that he is a huge fan of Spyderco and makes TONS of youtube videos on knives, guns, torches, etc... He makes some good reviews.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:Hope that brown FRN winds up on a Stretch some day.
You and me both Paul. That's a great color. I'm freaking addicted to the FRN Stretch now. It's a knife I need a backup for a backup for a backup now. :)

I love the gray and also the brown. Everything else can go. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I would love a white FRN Stretch so I could dye the heck out of a bunch of them.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jay_Ev wrote:OK, I give up. Who, exactly is "Nutnfancy"? Is he an employee of Spyderco? Is he a member here? In any case, thank you for taking the time to make & post a vid, Nutnfancy. It is appreciated :)
He's an independent reviewer of gear (knives, guns, etc). I believe he's currently enlisted and seems to know his stuff in many areas.

Some of his stuff is a bit broken-record ("I love my jimping!") but he has many knives to compare during the reviews and puts forth a great effort. I find his stuff better than 99% of the Youtube vids with good content and footage.

His vids also get huge response and views. He did a 20 minute review of the FRN Stretch putting it in his "hall of fame". I think he had 20,000 views in a week. :eek: He's arguably one of the better connections between the strip mall knife shoppers and the AFI's/Knife Makers.