Accidental Opening with Keychain Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Pyres

Accidental Opening with Keychain Ladybug

Post by Doc Pyres »

Have you or anyone you know ever had a keychain Ladybug open accidentally in pocket or purse? I ask because the orange Ladybug I gave my wife opened up accidentally in her purse today, and when she reached in for her keys, it gave her a little bite. Luckily it was very minor, but unfortunately now she doesn't want to carry it any more. :( My wife has so much...useful stuff she feels she has to carry... :D in her purse, it must have gotten snagged on something and worked it's way open.

Has something similar ever happened to anyone else here with a Ladybug or Jester? Any suggestions to get that Ladybug back on her keychain? (Please don't suggest I ask her to carry less stuff in her purse :D ). By the way, I've had a SS Ladybug on my keys for nearly 2 years with no problem at all.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Yes! I thought about not carrying mine on my key ring anymore.......until my finger didn't hurt anymore :)

I had a few things in my front pocket along with it (my phone, etc.), and I was trying to pull my keyring out. It didn't come out the first time, and when I reached back in......ouch :o ....the point to the tip of my finger. It opened on me again in a loose coat pocket last week (no stabbing), but again I had a few things in my pocket along with it.

they do open easily
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

never had it happen, but you could put a small rubber band around it to hold it back if it does happen frequently
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Never happened to me or my wife but maybe you could get a small, thin, soft leather pouch to cover it? If it fits it well, that should work fine.

Ken
玉鋼
addylo

Post by addylo »

Altoid tin.

My wife carries her bug in one (along with other items). The narrow, elongated tin they make for chewing gum would work best. Doesn't take up much room in her purse.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I normally carry mine in a pocket by itself, and I've never attached it to a keyring.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

....so no it's never opened on me.
duff72

Post by duff72 »

I made a small kydex sheath for mine that hangs from the keyring so the knife is removable-sorry I dont have a pic now but i will try to get one :D
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I did find my H1 Ladybug partially open in my pocket, on a set of keys. I have since taken it off the keyring and put it in the 5th pocket of my jeans.

duff72, when you can, I would love to see pics!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Ive had that happen before. What I find happens is one of the keys on the keyring goes through the hole and opens the knife. Never had that problem when I carry the knife without being on a keyring. Could very easily make a kydex sheath that would hang from the keys with the knife in it, that would then be removed from sheath used, and then replaced. Would make the knife more useful as well as it wouldnt be attached to bunch of keys that way.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
GradeMaker

Post by GradeMaker »

I've had Ladybugs on keys open accidentally an bite - mostly fingers but once a pretty good stick in the thigh while keys were in the ignition. :eek:
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

it happens so much with my girlfriend and other girls i know, that i almost think they forget to shut them.

either that or something in the never ending purse of crap opens it, who knows ?

my SS ladybug has never opened in my pocket but also the SS ladybug is alot more tight and harder to open than the FRN, thats why i love the SS for these keychain Spydercos
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

People need to check for lint regularly - it'll keep the blade partly open. My SE Jester did, however come open because a key somehow got caught in the hole. I didn't get cut, but now I always keep it or the Ladybugs alone in a pocket.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

This is not totally relevant...but this happened with my Spin with keychain carry (more easily understood given the framelock and ball detent). Key got in the hole and opened it up. Quite a scary feeling once you know what is going on...Now Spin is money clip without incident.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Shifty

Post by Shifty »

Hasn't happened to me.... but I keep my Ladybug in that mini-pocket that jeans have which sits sort of inside the main pockets. Think it might be meant for chnage or something... who knows. It's the perfect size for the ladybug (on my jeans anyways).
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Shifty wrote:Hasn't happened to me.... but I keep my Ladybug in that mini-pocket that jeans have which sits sort of inside the main pockets. Think it might be meant for chnage or something... who knows. It's the perfect size for the ladybug (on my jeans anyways).
Yeah, thats where I've been carrying my Ladybug Salt for the last month or so...fits perfect. Oh, and I haven't had mine open up on me accidentally yet.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

I only just got a Ladybug, haven't put it on keys, and haven't had any problems with it opening, but I do have a suggestion. I put a loop of paracord on it to use as a finger lanyard when I wanted to get a more secure grip on it. The loop size needed to wrap around a finger or two happened to be just the right size to be swung over the closed blade's hump, where it would sit quite securely upon the jimping, holding the blade closed. You might want to try adding something like that to act as a safety latch for key carry.
dialex

Post by dialex »

It's been a few good years since I carry the Ladybug attached to the keys and I never experienced accidental openings.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
noodlefish

Post by noodlefish »

i had mine on a key chain with my keys which i keep clipped to my belt loop and in jumping around it opened and then slapped into my hand i bled all over :eek:
ORANGE DODO NICEEEEEE

I listen to psychobilly, you should too!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

As a follow up to my original post, my wife decided to carry her Ladybug in a little zippered pocket on the inside of her purse, sans keys or anything else in with it. It's been a couple of months with no more accidental openings, and she's used it quite a lot in that time, I'm happy to say. But on a keychain with other stuff mixed in a pocket or purse seems to be not a great idea, at least with the FRN Ladybugs.

BTW, I gave 7 of these to my brothers-in-law (big family), all carry them on their keychains, and none of them has had a problem, plus they say they're amazed at how useful such a little knife can be.