Three Lil' Temp leaf blade production runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I know some will cry ''blasphemy'', but is it just me...or does this look like a ''better'' knife overall than the para millie? ;)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I love the Para, but I sold all of mine because they're not well suited to large hands without modification. The Lil' Temp is perfect for me.

Overall they are so different they're apples and oranges. Can't say one is better but I will say I have a strong preference for the LT.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I prefer the Lil' Temp to the Para.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice to see so many Li'l Temps still going round. I also have the trinity of leaf shaped li'l temps.

It's still my personal standard to which I compare other spyderco tactical folders.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hi Wouter, nice trio :)

Are any of your three serrated?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Jay_Ev wrote:Hi Wouter, nice trio :)

Are any of your three serrated?
Yep.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Every SE Lil' Temp I've seen has been from the last production run.(hidden stop pin) Is that the only run that produced an SE model?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The answer on SE appears to be yes, only last run. Here's Westfork's picture of all variations from an older tread:
I notice that the top and middle knives are the same. There isn't one from the first S30V production run.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Top one appears to be one of the "sterile" Li'l Temps. Note the absence of tang stamps on both sides.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JLS

Post by JLS »

I won't bother with a lousy picture of mine, but it is one of my go-to knives. There are only 4 knives that have been in my RFP in the past few years: Military 440V, Military S90V, Police 3 and my old Lil' Temp 440V Rhino. I will admit that I normally carry one of the bigger ones, but if I'm going to an area where a smaller blade is legally required, I happily take my Lil' Temp. It's a stout blade, comfortable handle and excellent lock. I, for one, actually like the clip and haven't found it to be too rough on pants or too weak for EDC. My blade matches the handle contour perfectly at the thumb ramp.

I have high hopes for the Lil' Temp 2, though I do share some of the same concerns about blade thickness as others have expressed. I'm also curious to see what clip will be decided on, as it could be a deal breaker for me. At the least I hope it's a up/down clip rather than the wire clip that others were pining for. The knife was intended as an MBC folder and I hope it stays that way the second time around.

If not, I still have my old reliable.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

So in that pic above, we are not actually looking at 15 Li'l Temps, (including the ones on the bottom) but rather the ones on the left are the same knife as the ones on the right? I tried looking in themiddle to see if two pics were spliced together but the grain of the wood implies that all of these Li'l Temps were taken in one shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

You would not be able to tell from the background if it is two shots, provided a good tripod was used.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

LorenzoL wrote:You would not be able to tell from the background if it is two shots, provided a good tripod was used.
Or if the background was "photoshopped" in after three or more pictures were taken.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
westfork

Post by westfork »

They were just put on the table and the picture taken. The ones on the left/right are the same variation but different knives.
Jay_Ev wrote:So in that pic above, we are not actually looking at 15 Li'l Temps, (including the ones on the bottom) but rather the ones on the left are the same knife as the ones on the right? I tried looking in themiddle to see if two pics were spliced together but the grain of the wood implies that all of these Li'l Temps were taken in one shot.
hickster

Post by hickster »

You are over your quota.
j/k :D
Nice collection!
hickster
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Haven't posted for awhile but was just looking thru these great Lil T pics. I have one lil temp that I still haven't found one similar to yet. I will try to post a pic if I can figure out how or maybe I can email it to someone with more photo skills then myself. One obvious difference in all of the S30 leaf blade first production ones I have to compare with is the print is a different size and much bolder. Regardless thanks to everyone for sharing these great photos of a great knife.
JD Spydo

LIL TEmp = Cult Classic

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sort of confused about the Lil Temp 2 :confused: I thought at one time it was a "done deal" :confused:

Oh well I guess nothing's for sure except misery and taxes :rolleyes:

I would really love to snag another 440V Rhino horn version. A user would be fine with me.

One of the biggest fans ever we had for the Lil Temperance was our old pal "Worker #9" :cool: Hope he comes back to Spyderville some day. He pointed out to me that they never made the Rhino Horn in Spyderedge :(

I had heard that they did indeed make a Rhino Horn in SE but after a 3 year search I never found one. I don't think they even made an S30V Rhino Horn ( not that I wanted one because I highly prefer 440V myself)

The Lil Temperance truly was one of Spyderco's "cult classics" in the truest form of the word. But that's not at all a bad thing and I actually regard that as Spyder Hall Of Fame candidacy myself.

On my constantly enlarging wish list either an M-4 or S90V Rhino Horn would be a fantasy fulfillment. And I bet I'm not alone on that one :D
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Here is a pic of the Lil T (far right) that appears different then any others I have seen. Any Lil T guru's or collectors have any insight on this one?

[ATTACH]14119[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_3511_2_1.jpg
IMG_3511_2_1.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

SteelDragon wrote:Here is a pic of the Lil T (far right) that appears different then any others I have seen. Any Lil T guru's or collectors have any insight on this one?

[ATTACH]14119[/ATTACH]
It appears to be a first run 440V. Could use a bigger picture; what steel does the other side show?
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Sequimite wrote:It appears to be a first run 440V. Could use a bigger picture; what steel does the other side show?
Sorry I thought I added that to the post, It's S30V. I have a few first production but this one has different print as well as a few other differences. Maybe it fell in between the sterile and first production?