MT06P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CPM-S35VN

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT06P will be available for sale on Tuesday, 12-Jan-2010 at 1000 (10:00 a.m.) MST.

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $64.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About CPM-S35VN:
Crucible Steel in NY created CPM-S30V as steel developed specifically to be used for knife blades. A first, and the knife industry appreciates such purpose built efforts.

Shortly after the introduction of CPM-S30V, Chris Reeve (of Chris Reeve Knives) began working with Dick Barber, a metallurgist at Crucible Steel (at the time).

The goal was to create an even better version of the steel that had better machinability and finish. After several years of testing and development, the result was CPM-S35VN. Chemically the same as S30V, but with the additional of Niobium (also referred to as Columbium).

High Chromium ferritic steels containing Niobium exhibit increased temperature stability and refined grain structure which is important when working hard steels used in items like jet and rocket engines, welding and knife blades. It increases a blade’s strength and ability to take and retain sharpness.

Crucible worked with a few makers to test and refine the steel. Production began on CPM-S35VN just before changes were made in the Crucible business model.

At this time, there is still question as to whether this fine steel will be in production. Spyderco was fortunate to be able to grab some while it was still available and this Mule Team model is the result of that opportunity.

CPM-S35VN is exotic in its chemistry, even for powdered steels. This is an opportunity for some to be able to play with this new evolution to blade steel.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Great news, thank you Kristi!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Oh, cripes. There goes my budget. :) Thanks!
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Hi Kristi,

First of all thanks for the news!
We can assume that it is a total of 600 pieces? ... if it's not a company secret.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Nice. Are these made in Golden?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Can't wait! This sounds like a great steel and possibly my only chance to get my hands on some S35V. I think this will sell out pretty dang quick.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

Very exciting, thanks Kristi for the notification and explanation of the new Steel.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Kristi,

What is the Rockwell hardness of Spyderco S35VN?

Is it the same hardness as S30V (Rc 58-60)?

Thank you,

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I was wondering about the number produced as well. When Sal dropped the "hint" that this Mule was coming he also indicated that this might be a short run.

With the MT05P, the language was changed from "600" to "600-1000", so we inferred that 1000 Chinese Mules were made. I can't detect any change of language for the MT06P, so perhaps the return to purchase limits indicates their anticipated popularity rather than a reduced quantity produced.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I hope they make alot of them. I don't know if i can get one i told my g/f i wouldn't buy another knife til the Ti/G-10 Millie comes out in may. BUT.... All mules look EXACTLY the same so she really wouldn't find out. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Awesome! I love the history and write-up. That is what's so grade about Spyderco. They know their product. Awesome company! Can't wait to get my first mule and play with scales.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Crap, what am I gonna sell to cash-flow a new mule?
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Just a few minutes ago I sold a knife for $135 - guess where that money is earmarked -
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gac

Post by gac »

Neat. Don't know if I can get one though.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sounds like a nice Mule. :o
JLS

Post by JLS »

Fantastic! I look forward to playing with this steel, especially since the price of S35VN knives were way out of my budget before.

Kristi, not to nitpick, but the alternate name for Niobium is Columbium with a -um at the end, not Columbian. I only really know this because I buy a few hundred pounds/year at work.

It really is a remarkable element with regards to it's properties. We use it primarily because it has melting point of over 2400°C, but it has a whole list of neat properties. In its elemental form, it can have a very fine grain if proper annealing is done, so I'll be interested to see what effects it'll have on the grain size and refinement of a steel. Considering that one of the goals of the steel was a better finish, I'm guessing it makes a nice difference.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JLS wrote:...Kristi, not to nitpick, but the alternate name for Niobium is Columbium with a -um at the end, not Columbian. I only really know this because I buy a few hundred pounds/year at work. .....
Thank you. I think that was a case of spell check taking over. :o

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Sweet! I will be ordering Tuesday!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
JLS

Post by JLS »

Kristi, I know it wasn't intentional. It seems spell check doesn't respect the Periodic Table of the Elements.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

JLS wrote: Considering that one of the goals of the steel was a better finish, I'm guessing it makes a nice difference.
I kind of like the "granier" look of my swick's CPM S30V, but if this steel performs like that stuff does, It could be finished w/ pink and purple polka dots and I'd go for it.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.