How much is your EDC affected by your job?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

At my current work my EDC is not an issue. Quite a few people carry knives, two of them carry knives bigger than my Persian.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

I have it pretty easy, jeans and work boots every day and we have a small (20 people) office. Everybody is an engineer, so they are pretty hands on. I carry everything from a Naitive to a BM LFK which has a 5.2" blade. S90V Military, ZDP E4, Salt, and a BM 943 are on the rotation as well. To be honest, the LFK is more because I can than because I need it.
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

jylong_away wrote:That's really a shame. There was an off duty medic over here (Aus) who saved a young girl's life when her jumper/sweater(and hair) got caught at the top of an escalator, and nearly 'hanged' her as it was pulled in. The medic apparently had a knife on him/her and cut the sweater and hair free in time.

I often joke with friends about what an irony it would have been if said medic had been brought up on charges for carrying an 'offensive weapon' while off duty :p The way knife laws are going here, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened one day...bah!
Oddly enough, I did the same thing in a shopping mall. The girls was wearing a down coat and it looked like a goose swallowed a grenade.

Silly rule.
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I work in a Bike shop so I can carry pretty much what ever I want to. But I usually just carry on knife. But it can be just about any thing even a large fixed blade.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

All my past jobs were pretty easy going about knives. Only one said you can't carry anything with a blade longer then 3", at the time I hadn't discovered Spydercos and I EDCed a SAK Soldier, so no big deal. As far as knifely duties are concerned I still think the SAK Soldier is the most useful knife ever made. Only thing it sucks at is SD. I currently work at an auto parts store part time after school and I EDC my Para-Military, I cut up a ton of boxes at work when I'm stocking shelves, so it is useful.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
brj

Post by brj »

90% of the time I carry a Millie and a yellow FFG Pacific Salt; in front on NKPs I always use the pac_salt and had no issues so far
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I'm probably the only knife carrier in an office of about 70. Most others are not NKP though so never much of a hassle. I usually just go with my copilot and a Leatherman Micra with a photon attached. Fridays is jeans day and my SS Delica usually just comes along because it is already clipped to my favorite pair of jeans. Never much hassle and I am usually the one asked to open stuff.

It just makes sense, I never understood the sense of ripping/tearing/shredding into a box or package when a small knife does a much cleaner job (that may be my OCD-but my boss has it too so it works out). I have a bug on my keychain that is detachable for days at Court and is what I loan out so I don't risk losing/damaging my Co-Pilot.

Other EDC is usual: Bandaids in wallet, contact lens drops, ipod, handkerchief. Boring but it works.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

sarguy wrote:Workplace policy states I'm to have no weapons whatsoever, so I just carry a couple of "tools", instead. Namely, a CE delica for utility cutting, and a larger folder for SD. I've found that this setup seems to work quite nicely for me on most days, although in the name of thoroughness I must purchase more Spydercos to find the perfect EDC setup. :D
If anything, my workplace knife usage is a bit more discrete than it might otherwise be, but it's not dampened much.
That's my view also. It's a tool, not a weapon. But I do try to keep it discreet. Oh, and my EDC is a Sage 1.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I work in an office too and Ive encountered "what' THAT thing for" comments with just a Caly 3/UKPK (yes, even with the NKP friendly orange). Most days, I stay with Dfly, Navigator, Meerkat, Leafstorm size knives and get no comments. Of course, you never can tell...I pulled out my Spin once and was still asked about the 'weapon'...(heavy sigh)
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
skunk_2

Post by skunk_2 »

i work in a factory, a ice-cream plant actually, and having a knife in pocket is part of my job! (lucky me) so everyone carrys them, most have the crap made in china you get at a dollar store or hardware store.
i carry a byrd meadowlark, and have been for over a year. i abuse it faaar too much to be able to bring myself to use a delica or anything!!! dont get me started on how great that byrd is!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Because I work in a kitchen, I carry:

... because the Salt1 SE is great for opening all manner of packaging and cutting cardboard (switches off with a SE Tasman), the Salt 1 PE is used only on certain vegetables, and you wouldn't believe the countless uses for every tool on the Leatherman Wave in a kitchen. The right tools for the job - simple.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Peruna

Post by Peruna »

I'm a real estate/corporate lawyer. There is, to be honest, very little to cut around here aside from mail. I believe I am the only knife carrier in the office of around 50 people. Because of that, I am cognizant of what I carry. I tend to stay around the sub-3 inch category. Additionally, given the need for coat and tie, I do not carry clipped. Most of the clips come right off when I get the knife (except for those dedicated for the weekend). To date, I have not gotten any looks, and the knife has come in handy many times (especially during a recent move where the Cricket I keep in my desk got a workout).
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

My job alters my daily carry not one iota. :cool:

I work as a System Administrator for a CAA, and am one of only three guys in a building full of ladies. Personnel policy prohibits carrying of weapons, but it always helps to read the fine print in a policy (or lack thereof).

In this state, knives with a blade length or less than 3.5" can be legally carried concealed without a permit, and anything over that is legal so long as it is openly carried. This obviously excludes daggers, dirks, balis, automatics, etc. - those are actually considered weapons, and everything else is, by definition, just a knife.

In other words, I could basically carry a machete to work so long as I didn't unsheath it and start waving it at people. :eek:

That being said, I tend to stick with blade lengths under 3.5" - I don't really NEED a large amount of cutting power at an office job.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
mmyron1

Post by mmyron1 »

I am a LEO and my EDC on the job is a Tenacious. It has cut a few seat belts from accidents and an air bag or too. I does just fine. I have no doubt that my D2 Para would do that too and that is why it is in my bag when on duty. Right at arms reach.

My EDC while on duty has to be easy to replace just in case it can't come home with me. That is a possibility. When I am off duty it is more often than not my Para.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I don't have any problems with knives at work. Fortunately, I live in a country where is quite normal for anyone to carry a knife (as long as its blade is under 6", according to the law) :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
MCM

Post by MCM »

4" and under. (folder)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

With my job I can carry whatever I like in the way of a folder. I wouldn't strap a fixed
blade to my belt but working in the restaurant, mostly in the kitchen everyone knows I
carry and ask daily to borrow it. I find it easy and proper to carry my Pacific Salt. It is
an amazing blade, spray washes up nice under the hose, sanitize, snap shut and it's
ready for the next round. Also, being yellow everyone thinks (other than us knife nuts)
it's a utility cutter the little that sticks out of pocket when clipped.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
Slick

Post by Slick »

Where I work there is not a clear policy about knife carry. The official employee manual makes no mention but unoffical policy is NO knives at all. Crappy Handi-cutters or a box knife must serve all possible purposes even when they would be inefficint or even unsafe. We are not prohibitted from carrying any leagal knife as long as we do not use it. I go through a metal detector and get wanded whenever I leave work. That said I still cary real knives and use them they are safest and best suited to the task at hand.
Not really all that slick ;)
deeker

Post by deeker »

I work in schools, though not employed directly by the local school boards. I tend to carry small to medium sized knives - Delica, Tasman, Paramilitary, 93mm Rescue, D'Allara Rescue, etc - as I am often around teachers and librarians and they don't usually see a lot of sharp pointy things during their day to day activity.

They tend to be a lot more.... timid, let's say. I get startled looks occasionally. I try to gently get the knife into their hands as they need to open boxes or plastic packages. I suggest that they may have larger knives in their kitchen and that mine don't bite often.

I should try a fixed blade some time, or have a utility knife like an OLFA or something on hand in case they get uneasy.
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

I work in telecommunications but am fortunate because about 2 yrs ago my company initiated a work at home policy for a lot of the staff so unless I have to go into the office for a meeting, or go see a customer, I work at home where I can EDC whatever I want.
Lately it's been a Caly3 G10 or G10 Dragonfly, H1 Ladybug and Victorinox Midnite MiniManager on my keys.
If I'm in the office I EDC the same as above minus the Caly3 which I keep in my bag along with my Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Leatherman Wave and Squirt P4.

I just got back from my local knife store (S & R Knives) where I just bought a 2nd Caly3 G10 (wanted to grab a backup before they're all gone), an H1 Pacific Salt with black FRN as a gift for my dad, and another H1 Ladybug for my wife to EDC.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]