How much is your EDC affected by your job?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vampyrewolf

How much is your EDC affected by your job?

Post by vampyrewolf »

Was going to put this under the ultimate EDC thread but got thinking that it'll probably go a while.

How big of am impact has WHERE you work affected what you carry, ignoring WHAT you do with it. I'm fully aware of how far a ss dragonfly can be pushed and I know it'd probably be sufficient for 90% of users :p

I'm in an office job now, with light cutting at work. As in bags and tape, other than food prep. I could easily get by with a LM Juice on my keys and a 3-4" paring knife at my desk (have to get to the bottom of the jar). If it wasn't for the smokers causing me so much grief that's exactly what I'd be carrying.

I rotate 4" knives at work, with the other pocket's carry in a case in my bag for 4pm to hit. I'm limited to a multitool and a single knife at work, so they get to see me using a large blade to cut tape. If spyderco made a 5" folder I'd carry it to work.

The only impact the NKP had on me was in limiting the number of knives on me.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, I retired now, so it's never an issue anymore. But even when I was working, it only affected it on those rare days when I knew I'd have to be dealing with security stations and metal detectors and that was mostly to avoid embarrassing my supervisor by dumping a bunch of knives in the tray. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

I wonder what 'the smokers' have to do with it actually? The only grief smokers cause me is the smell and the arrogance of polluting my fresh air, but their smoking habit doesn't do anything to my choice of EDC :)

* if you're a smoker and feel offended by my statement; don't be. Just don't smoke near me :) *

I do actually run into my fair share of NKP at work, which certainly impacts my choice of EDC a little. Fortunately I don't own any >4" blades, since I don't really have a need for large blades, and I believe 3" is enough for me. However I did get strange faces over my Salt I SE and my Sage 1. The teeth were perceived as 'scary' (but after a test-drive even NKP could appreciate its cutting abilities); and the Sage was called 'large'. Most of the time I carry my UKPK or my Delica 4 ZDP-189 PE, and most of my coworkers are fine with that. And so am I, cause both are excellent EDC blades :)
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Quite a bit.
I want to be able to cut without risking to puncture anything underneath.
With a three inch blade, I can do just that.
I can shroud the tip with my fingertip and make a precise cut.
So three-inchers for me.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Donut

Post by Donut »

Not much, but I don't feel comfortable or feel it is appropriate to carry anything larger than a 3.5" blade unless it is casual Friday.

I usually stick to my White Goddard (I think this is an amazing dress knife if you're wearing light colored clothes, I would love a black Micarta Goddard!), Stretch, or Delica if I'm wearing Khakis and probably go to just the Delica or Stretch when I'm wearing darker pants.

I was trying to stick to a 3" or smaller blade, and I feel the Goddard is an innocent looking knife. The Stretch's FFG makes me want to carry it.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Whieee wrote:I wonder what 'the smokers' have to do with it actually? The only grief smokers cause me is the smell and the arrogance of polluting my fresh air, but their smoking habit doesn't do anything to my choice of EDC :)

* if you're a smoker and feel offended by my statement; don't be. Just don't smoke near me :) *
I complained about the smokers standing 50' closer to the door than thier actual designated smoking area is. Because I nailed a dozen of them on policy that does exist, they tried to nail me on one that doesn't exist. It took me bringing up the discrimination factor into play before they cowered back on it.
I was complaining about some smokers fairly high up in the company and only because I have to walk through either of the smoking areas at my building to go between the buildings.

So rather than carry what I need to do my job, I carry what I want to. So a 4" instead of a 2". I COULD carry my 5.5" fixed blade, but it's fully exposed and overkill for tape.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

@vampyrewolf: that's some grief indeed. But apparently there are quite a few smokers who can't deal with anyone or anything getting in the way between them and the way they want to enjoy their addiction.
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Well, being a paramedic you would think I would have a preference. We can no longer carry knives at work so I guess I should not post. Used to be dictated by what I felt worked best for what I used it for, cutting clothes and such. Now my work "knife" is a rescue hook...only good for opening bottles I think.

Jeff
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

hmm... ignoring WHAT i do with my EDC... that eliminates most of the fun of talking about it. :D

i guess where i work -- Alaska -- impacts my EDC by not really causing any sense of restriction. the only restriction is the rain/salt water, which makes me much more inclined to carry H1. it's a "must" for outdoors activities. i compromise -- the chokwe and mili come with me to work quite a bit (when i'm not expecting to be outdoors), but i always have an H1 knife (or two, or more) handy in my bag, or on my person, just in case there's an oil spill emergency, or i find myself cutting near water... and 3 out of four seasons in the year, when spontaneous fishing adventures are prone to occur... gotta have H1.

i'm still waiting for the dressy H1 knife that can look good in my pocket at work, and accommodate sudden, unexpected oil spill or fishing excitement. (H1 centofante would be PERFECT!)

people here don't see knives as any sort of threat... at least, not when they're in the pockets of responsible adults, or being used for a normal cutting task. i don't think kids are allowed to have them in schools, but i think probably some older kids have swiss army knives / multitools in their pockets anyway, and it's no big deal.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Where I work does have quite a bit of effect on what I carry. I carry a larger assortment of knives than I used to. Instead of doing everything with a 6" fixed blade, I carry smaller folders in varying degrees of scariness so I can match the knife to the surroundings. Use the peanut instead of the Military around the timid people, that sort of thing.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I work in an office on the Air Force Base. Lucky most of the guys are ex army or air force, so they carry blades too. I picked up bunch at the 2nds sale and now half the office has blades :D

The "in town" office is a little different. I've gotten looks there like :eek:
...oh you know why!
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

For work I prefer full serrated blades or at least combo edge.

For seat belts, ropes, wires, clothing, belts, whatever.

Some knives I EDC in plain clothes are vastly different from on-duty capacity.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

My work actually causes me to carry more knives then I usually do. I work in a machine shop, and the company policy is you pack out the parts you machine. The other factor is there are a lot of temp workers who don't know how to use a knife properly. So I carry my regular knives plus a rescue knife to lend out to others.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not at all. Granted i dont work office jobs, but ive always carried what i wanted. One knife, four knives, millies, fixed blades, serrated hawkbills etc. All my knives are legal by state and federal law and i use them responsibly. Some places ive worked at, like an atm repair job, had more restrictive rules on knives, but i ignored them and there were never any problems. I dont believe in restricting my choices due to irrational fears of others. Its not like ive ever stabbed someone, nor plan to. I just cut food, boxes etc
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

jackburton9807 wrote:Well, being a paramedic you would think I would have a preference. We can no longer carry knives at work so I guess I should not post. Used to be dictated by what I felt worked best for what I used it for, cutting clothes and such. Now my work "knife" is a rescue hook...only good for opening bottles I think.

Jeff
That's really a shame. There was an off duty medic over here (Aus) who saved a young girl's life when her jumper/sweater(and hair) got caught at the top of an escalator, and nearly 'hanged' her as it was pulled in. The medic apparently had a knife on him/her and cut the sweater and hair free in time.

I often joke with friends about what an irony it would have been if said medic had been brought up on charges for carrying an 'offensive weapon' while off duty :p The way knife laws are going here, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened one day...bah!
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

My company policy manual states I'm not allowed to carry a weapon at work.

So I just carry a Manix 2 most of the time. Lately it's been a serrated Native. I have been issued a disposable safety cutter, and that's the blade I use 99% of the time. The real knife only comes out when absolutely necessary.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

none at all i guess. cant carry a weapon at the pharmacy. although i can carry a "small" knife on my keys like ladybug, goddard, bug, etc without any probs. although i could still be violating the rules technicaly but no one ever said anything. my job is easy- pouring and typing and talking does not require sharpness. lol
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

none whatsoever :) i carry a big axe usually along with my jumpmaster and whatever i decide to carry in my front right pocket, today it is a big manix CE.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Workplace policy states I'm to have no weapons whatsoever, so I just carry a couple of "tools", instead. Namely, a CE delica for utility cutting, and a larger folder for SD. I've found that this setup seems to work quite nicely for me on most days, although in the name of thoroughness I must purchase more Spydercos to find the perfect EDC setup. :D
If anything, my workplace knife usage is a bit more discrete than it might otherwise be, but it's not dampened much.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

At my old job I was limited due to wearing scrubs. Anything bigger than a Delica & it dragged down on my pockets. Serrated Edge was also preferable due to a lot of box cutting.

With my new office job I wear khakis Mon-Thurs & jeans on Fri (casual day) so my EDC options are better. Mon-Thurs I usually carry a PE Caly 3 with a Victorinox Compact in my left pocket. Fridays I get a little crazy an carry either my Strider GB, Emerson EDC Tanto, or my CE FG Endura 4 - with the Vic Compact still in the left pocket.

Of course at my new job I hardly use a knife. Open envelopes, cut out stick people when bored... that's about it. :(

Now if the new color Enduras/Delicas come out in Tan/Coyote Brown I will have to try one out to see if they are khaki camouflage.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich