Killer westerns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Deadwood is a series but it's still the best IMO with nothing else coming close.

Tombstone ,The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,fistfull of dollars and Unforgiven were great too.
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

Kurosawa's 'Yojimbo' got remade as one of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti western flicks (I can't remember which one), which then got remade again as 'Last Man Standing' with Bruce Willis.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

It's not a movie but a Video game: Call of Juarez

Especially the second, where you get to play two brothers (alternatively) who are trying to get a long lost Mexican treasure to rebuilt their familly's farm.

First one, you get to play a twisted priest and an Indian who's head is wanted for his adopting parent's murder...

Well made FPS.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
duff72

Post by duff72 »

I like the magnificent 7,tombstone,shane, and true grit
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

araneae wrote:Outlaw Josey Wales
The dollars trilogy
Unforgiven
Word.

Jeff
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

What's with the audio in those Clint Eastwood westerns? Were they shot it Italian or Spanish or a mix of both and then dubbed into english?

It looks like Clint's speaking english, only his teeth are clenched so tight I can't really make it out!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clawhammer wrote:What's with the audio in those Clint Eastwood westerns? Were they shot it Italian or Spanish or a mix of both and then dubbed into english?

It looks like Clint's speaking english, only his teeth are clenched so tight I can't really make it out!
Think it's more a case of the sound track being slightly out of sync with the picture. Pretty common on films of that era, especially low budget ones. Or, the actors could be speaking a mixture of languages. I could be wrong, but I doubt Eastwood, Van Cleef, or Wallach were speaking Italian, but the rest of the cast(s) might have been.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Clawhammer wrote:What's with the audio in those Clint Eastwood westerns? Were they shot it Italian or Spanish or a mix of both and then dubbed into english?

these sorts of spaghetti western films often had international casts. the actors/actresses spoke their respective native languages, and non-english voices were dubbed over in english.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

This one isn't old and is a little corny with sound effects and camera angles but I have watched it about 10 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRrEUz62Lw

Just wanted to add that I liked True Grit too.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I haven't seen anyone mention one of my favorites yet - "Pale Ryder". I love it, I think it's one of Clint's best!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Sam G.

Post by Sam G. »

I'll have to third the recommendation for "Dead Man." One of my favorites. Since many people mentioned Kurosawa, perhaps it's pertinent to suggest another film from Jim Jarmusch - "Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai." Beautifully blends the western, samurai, and gangster genres into the end-all be-all of all things kick-***. Forrest Whitaker stars, music by the RZA.

Also, though not a film, I would recommend the television episode "100 Yards Over the Rim," from season two of The Twilight Zone. One of the first on-screen depictions of realistic frontiersmen (donning top hats instead of Stetsons).

I'd also endorse "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" (2008, Korean). Great action, cinematography, and a rollicking good time. I would not, however, recommend Japanese director Takashi Miike's western from the same year, "Sukiyaki Western Django." Turned it off after 20 minutes, and I'm a rather loyal fan of his previous works.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Not my favorite, but still a classic in it's own right. Not particularly hardcore, though the ending ain't your typical Hollywood fair.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Jimd wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention one of my favorites yet - "Pale Ryder". I love it, I think it's one of Clint's best!
The train station in Pale Rider was re-used in "Back to the Future III" !!! :)