9-year-old's first whittling - with a Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

9-year-old's first whittling - with a Ladybug

Post by Jazz »

I've been waiting for this for 9 years - my granddaughter is the same age as when I got my first knife. I haven't "given" it to her yet, but she really likes her purple Ladybug. Anyway, I had previously predrilled two pieces of Basswood so we could carve whistles. I gave her a few safety lessons and we were off. Here's before:

I used my orange Ladybug - great knives for whittling, by the way. The whistles are nothing fancy, but they work - that really impressed her - she carved one and it whistles great! Next time we'll do something more fancy. She got two Spyder bites - one bled a fair bit, but I've seen guys I work with in the kitchen get more upset about a little cut than she did. Cleaned it up, put a bandaid on it, and I couldn't keep her away from whittling. After we finished the whistles, she grabbed some wood and just whittled and whittled. Here are the whistles we made:

Sorry for babbling - it's just exciting for me, and we have a potential new Spydie fan. She was even saying how cool the knives looked on the past two Spyderco catalog covers. Well, thanks for lookin' and listening.

- best wishes, Jazz.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Congratulations, I bet it was well worth the wait. Nice whistles too.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
sal

Post by sal »

Good job Jazz!

sal
amar

Post by amar »

Congratulations. Nice whistles, and I am sure your grand daughter likes the ladybug. :-)
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

nice. i mean the orange ladybug of coarse! lol :D
but seriously i wish my father trusted me with a deadly weapon at that age. good job.
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Cool I wish my first knife had been a Spydie.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

SmoothOne25 wrote:i wish my father trusted me with a deadly weapon at that age
He did. Every time you sat at the dinner table. Not much of an edge, but definetely a knife of some fashion. :D
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Good post Jazz. When I was about 5 or 6 my grandfather and I sat down on his porch and he let me help him whittle a slingshot. We used an old yellow handled Case Trapper. That's the only type of knife he had over owned. We ended up buying him a new one in the early 70's. He had worn the two blades down to almost nothing.

I can remember him sitting in the back yard with an old oil can and a stone sharpening it. He loved that knife. It was left to me after he died and I keep it in a display. I have left it exactly as it was the last time he used it. He used to tell me that if you took care of your knife it would take care of you.

In retrospect, he is the one that started my love for knives and I have never forgotten that slingshot. How could I, I ended up knocking out Nanny's kitchen window with a rock and having to use that same Case Trapper to cut a switch off the tree for my Dad to burn my *** up haha.

Enjoy the memories you have made with your family. They will never forget you for it. :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Great story Jazz, Congrats
-John
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the comments, guys. Nice story, Bluntrauma - I love those old pocketknife memories. I used to carve little canoes and let them float in the Spring runoff down the streets. I'm sure that if kids are taught the great and fun uses of knives very young, they'll most likely not use them as weapons, and'll be good examples themselves. Also, there are the great memories such as your's, Bluntrauma. Anyone else have fond memories like these? Why not share them. :D

- best wishes, Jazz.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Very happy memories.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JT

Post by JT »

Cool story.
Next time someone asks why would anyone need a PE Ladybug instead of SE... this thread gives one more reason :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

What a great thread, brings back memories why it was so cool to have a pocket knife when I was a kid.

Funny thing is I gave my 9 year old son a ladybug for christmas this year and it has become his favorite christmas gift. Which is saying a lot since Santa spoiled him rotten this year whith many high dollar toys.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

dd61999 wrote:What a great thread, brings back memories why it was so cool to have a pocket knife when I was a kid.

Funny thing is I gave my 9 year old son a ladybug for christmas this year and it has become his favorite christmas gift. Which is saying a lot since Santa spoiled him rotten this year whith many high dollar toys.
That's awesome! May he use it in good health!

- best wishes, Jazz.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Jazz,

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. I have certain milestones from my own life that I try to pass on to my son. I also have a little daughter who loves dark purple and your ladybug appears to be dark purple, however, the only purple ladybug I saw was definitely light "periwinkle" purple. Is yours dark or is it the camera/lighting? Thanks.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

ah very nice. I remember my first knife. My father gave it to me- a very small 3 function swiss army knife.

I was in my grandfathers cabin in PA. Put down the knife, and picked it up. Didnt know it was backwards, and i was carving in a bad direction, the blade closed right on my finger. I remember it like it was yesterday. Still have a scar almost a decade later. I never owned a non locking blade since. oh the memories.

Still, congratulations on your grand daughter's spyder love, and those nifty whistles.
Proud owner of a meadowlark g10!! :spyder:

slice22358 wrote:You and your ball lock obsession:D
:rolleyes: Guilty :p
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hiredgun wrote:Jazz,

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing. I have certain milestones from my own life that I try to pass on to my son. I also have a little daughter who loves dark purple and your ladybug appears to be dark purple, however, the only purple ladybug I saw was definitely light "periwinkle" purple. Is yours dark or is it the camera/lighting? Thanks.
It's the one that's still in the catalog, and it is a bit lighter than the pics - I'm sure your daughter would love it anyway, but you'd know better than me. It's very suitable for a young lady, if you ask me. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Jazz wrote:It's the one that's still in the catalog, and it is a bit lighter than the pics - I'm sure your daughter would love it anyway, but you'd know better than me. It's very suitable for a young lady, if you ask me. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Thank you Jazz. All my kids love it when I get out the knife collection, so I think a purple ladybug would be very exciting for her birthday this year. Happy New Year.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Another bump.
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

What a sweet story!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.