Citadel?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
docwatson

Citadel?

Post by docwatson »

hey guys, this forum seems to be dragging a little, so I thought I would ask, any one with experience with the bigger Citadel, I think that is going to be on my Christmas Wish list, and was wondering as I have never owned an auto Spyderco. thanks
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The style and ergos are typical Spyderco. The bi-directional scale pattern provides good purchase -- sharp enough to grab, but not so much so that it will tear up your hand. The stamped clip is the same serviceable design as they've been using for a number of years.

The spring action is very good -- speed wise and tension -- on my example. The safety is easily manipulated, but clicks positively into each position; works as it should to hold blade either locked open or closed. I like the swedge cut along the spine -- looks good to me.

I use it pretty regularly for cutting up apples at work. I can lay it over the aplle, and tap the spine to cut through the apple. The flat saber grind helps split the apple, as the knife goes through.

HTH.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

thanks for the response, I didn't think anyone was out there. I have always liked the looks of the Benchmade Presidio, but never bought one, and to me the Citadel has the same great styling, and best of all it is a Spyderco, and at a reasonable price for an auto. :)
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I have the BM Presidio Auto Axis (5000SBT) as well. You are right, the designs do share some characteristics. The BM feels a little heavier, and I think the thumb ramp on the blade of the Spyderco works better than the short guard on the handle/scale of the BM.
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

Thanks for you input, as I have handled the presidio, but have not seen a Citadel in the flesh, so your comments are very helpful.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

when it comes to auto's benchmade is number one on my list. folders....spyderco hands down! but that classic benchmade black on black sleek powerful blade with lighting fast reflex cant be beat. no offense sal, as i have almost a hundred spy's, but i am not really feeling the auto's for spyderco. to be honest most people who want them legally cant get them. benchmade has that gov/mili contract anyway right? i wonder what the sales figures on spy auto's is? obviously it is none of my business but you know just wondering. but if i had to pick i would choose a plain edge black on black citadel would be my choice. it had some features i would enjoy. which also begs the question: if auto's were legal outright would embassy and citadel sales figures sky rocket? probably. i would at least buy the b on b citadel pe. why do people think auto's are more dangerous that non auto's? you can stab someone just the same, amirite? get that blade out just as fast as a thumb stud opening right?
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

docwatson wrote:Thanks for you input, as I have handled the presidio, but have not seen a Citadel in the flesh, so your comments are very helpful.
You're welcome -- glad it helps.
SmoothOne25 wrote:when it comes to auto's benchmade is number one on my list. folders....spyderco hands down! but that classic benchmade black on black sleek powerful blade with lighting fast reflex cant be beat. no offense sal, as i have almost a hundred spy's, but i am not really feeling the auto's for spyderco. to be honest most people who want them legally cant get them. benchmade has that gov/mili contract anyway right? i wonder what the sales figures on spy auto's is? obviously it is none of my business but you know just wondering. but if i had to pick i would choose a plain edge black on black citadel would be my choice. it had some features i would enjoy. which also begs the question: if auto's were legal outright would embassy and citadel sales figures sky rocket? probably. i would at least buy the b on b citadel pe. why do people think auto's are more dangerous that non auto's? you can stab someone just the same, amirite? get that blade out just as fast as a thumb stud opening right?
Actually, I got my :spyder: Citadel issued after a purchase was made through Spyderco as a GSA Contractor. Kristi is the GSA coordinator for Spyderco.

It is the black DLC coated blade too, and it is just as good looking as the BM Presidio Auto Axis. The Citadel's spring action is as good if not better than the Auto Presidio's or other BM AFO Autos that I've handled.

I will agree that the law concerning automatic knives does not seem to make much sense, especially when you're used to handling knives as the tools they are.
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

This is mine;

Although the overall shape it isn't very attractive to my eyes, my hand thinks otherwise, and it's obviously a very well made knife.
I think the design would also work well in a non-automatic version with a caged ball lock of something like that.

The handle is made from 2 thick pieces of aluminium with an integral backspacer which makes it very strong, and it's tolerances are so narrow that there isn't even a hint of bladeplay, not even when you try to wiggle the blade in the open position with the button unlocked.
And that's very nice for an automatic in my book.

IMO there is however a design flaw, which lies in the functioning of the security slide.
When you have the knife closed in your pocket with said slide activated, you really must remember that you activated it.
Otherwise when you grab the knife from your pocket and press the opening button the knife won't open.

Duh you say, but when that happens you cannot pull the safety slide back since it has wedged itself under the half pressed opening button.
The only way you can now open the knife is to squeeze the closed blade a little more closed, which releases the tension on the opening button, which in turn is necessary to pull the safety slide back.
Only then can you open the blade as it is supposed to,
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

nice. :) now if i could only invent some machine that allows me to jump into your body and then mail it to myself then jump out without you knowing and erase your memory and jump back into my body, receive the mail, then ...oh forget it. enjoy your knife you sob
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
BillyJack

Lock Strength & Deployment Speed

Post by BillyJack »

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Do you guys know how strong the lock is compared to the Auto-Axis from Benchmade. And also the deployment speed compared to the 5000 Presideo and 6150 Rukus, from Benchmade?

Thx,
Brad
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i purchased the Citadel just to have it, not to use because of legal issues, it was my first automatic knife, to tell the truth i wasnt impressed much, if it was legal for me to carry id still carry a normal Spyderco folder hands down.

I purchased a Embassy after and that knife is 10 times better built in my eyes.

If youre thining about an automatic Spyderco, go with the Embassy.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

BillyJack wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of these. Do you guys know how strong the lock is compared to the Auto-Axis from Benchmade. And also the deployment speed compared to the 5000 Presideo and 6150 Rukus, from Benchmade?

Thx,
Brad
Chris_H wrote:The Citadel's spring action is as good if not better than the Auto Presidio's or other BM AFO Autos that I've handled.
The :spyder: Citadel's speed feels quicker than the BM 5000. I attribute this to the overall thinner grinds/swedges on the Citadel. The BM 5000 feels bulky comparatively -- you notice a difference in the moving of mass.
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

Got a new citadel from my wife. All I can say is typical Spyderco qual, the fit and finish are right there. When that blade snaps open, the spring is so strong it all most jumps out of your hand :) Very sharp out of the box, solidly built, and great ergos. Call me a happy camper!