g-10 or frn?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChaosSpear

g-10 or frn?

Post by ChaosSpear »

I am getting a cara cara for christmas (yes, im cheap) and was deciding between the g10 and frn handles.

the frn is hardier and doesnt wear as much and weighs less, but the g10 is heat/cold resistant, feels better, nicer looking, and seems to have a better clip.

is this all true? I am leaning to the g10, as I can still get it for under $30.

I dont want a top of the line spidy (ok i do, but dont want to worry about) getting lost broken or stolen, so a cheaper knife is better.
Proud owner of a meadowlark g10!! :spyder:

slice22358 wrote:You and your ball lock obsession:D
:rolleyes: Guilty :p
raven

Post by raven »

I'd go for the G-10 version. IMHO, the Byrd Line is pretty close to the Spyderco line. The quality is OUTSTANDING ;) . You can't really tell it's a lower end model ...they're built that well. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

alright. now to just wait until i can get it! haha first spidy!

THG

Post by THG »

I'd go with FRN every time. It's inexpensive, it's tough, it doesn't wear out pockets, and it, itself, doesn't wear out.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
raven

Post by raven »

You Won't Be Disappointed ... :D ;) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

BTW, Give us your thoughts when you get it ...maybe a pic or two.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

THG, the price difference in the 2 models is less than $10. does the g10 wear down pockets and its self? I always thought g10 was a nicer material, and worth getting whenever possible.

THG

Post by THG »

ChaosSpear wrote:THG, the price difference in the 2 models is less than $10. does the g10 wear down pockets and its self? I always thought g10 was a nicer material, and worth getting whenever possible.
Yeah, that's true; the price difference between FRN and G10 for Byrds is small.

G10 is a grippy material, and because of this, it will put some wear on your clothing. And from what I hear, G10 becomes less grippy over time; that's what I meant by saying "it wears itself down."

"Nicer" is in the eye of the beholder ;)
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

well im a sucker for aesthetics. and I love how g10 has full size steel liners, as opposed to the nestled liners in frn. but i know that is such a moot point.

my current knife has a very soft and rubbery frn handle, and I love it. But once the g10 wears down/breaks in, does it provide a similar grip to frn? Or will it always be harder/rougher?

or what do you all prefer, and suggest for me?

araneae

Post by araneae »

The G-10 version is heavier than the frn version. I like frn.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

There's nothin' 'cheap' about the Byrds (excuse the pun). There's a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive" and price has little to do with it! :spyder:

In fact with the Cara Cara, I don't think there's even an overlap with a Spyderco branded model ? I've got a crossbill on my wanted list after I watched a video of one sawing through a steel bar :cool: :eek: !
(Photo courtesy of 'Spyderskin')
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

I've got both G-10 and FRN Byrds and the difference is basically in feel - the G-10 ones feel more like a solid chunk in the pocket while the FRN ones seem to 'float' among the other stuff in the pocket. G-10 is certainly grippy but nobody does FRN better than Spyderco and the Byrds are no different, the FRN texturing is bidirectional and quite grippy. As far as fit & finish, I find no difference and neither seems to be inherently stronger than the other but the FRN model is definitely lighter. Basically - for me - it comes down to whether or not I feel like carrying a 'slab of steel' (the G-10 model) or a lighter, more 'disappear in the pocket' (FRN model) type knife.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

Well I heard that with the frn the knife feels top heavy, where as with the g10 its bottom heavy. My current knife balances right behind the first finger groove, so the blade itself seems to float above the hand.

So im pretty set on the g10. Its price is right, seems to balance better, and its new, so why not.

and worst case, if i hate g10, I can always makeshift handles out of something, or even pick up my next blade in frn then. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

...or, you could look at the Tenacious. Another great knife at a good price.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

ugh why!

I was all set, then you had to come in and mention the tenacious. haha

I am left handed, and although I get by with my current liner lock, I sometimes find it too accessible, and closing 1 handed awkward.

So:
lockback, hollow grind, and finger choil
vs
liner lock, fully flat grind, and no choil

what do you all thing about this now? oh the choices

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The Cara Cara G10 feels really great in the hand. It's a bit big and heavy though. The Tenacious was mentioned and indeed the biggest decision factor is a preference for lockbacks or liner locks. The full flat ground of the Tenacious will slice a bit better, but even so the Cara Cara is really good at the price. Hence, I bought both. Which one to buy first? Since I rate them equally, I would say: pick the one that you think looks best !
But, there's another alternative: the Spyderco Persistence. I bring it up because both Cara Cara and Tenacious can be a bit big for EDC, depending on where you live.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

ChaosSpear wrote:ugh why!

I was all set, then you had to come in and mention the tenacious. haha

I am left handed, and although I get by with my current liner lock, I sometimes find it too accessible, and closing 1 handed awkward.

So:
lockback, hollow grind, and finger choil
vs
liner lock, fully flat grind, and no choil

what do you all thing about this now? oh the choices
I'm a lefty too so I hear you on the liner locks. I'm not even a fan of liner locks but the knife is really nice. I have the cara cara in G10 and I like it. It does have more drag for precision cuts (slicing) in my opinion due to the width of the blade.

Any of the knives mentioned in this thread would be a good pick. Throw in 20 bucks more and you could pick up an Endura. Yeah, I know, something else to think about. Good luck with your pick, you really can't go wrong with a Spyderco/Byrd.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It really depends on how you value performance over luxury.

G10 has an advantage over most FRN (even aggressive bidirectional but not as much as some others) regarding grip. It's also generally harder to get in and out of the pocket because of this extra traction.

Most time G10 slabs are bolted on steel liners adding rigidity but also weight. A lined knife is a bit tougher for torsional torque but some still prefer the lighter model.

Probably the best thing a G10 knife offers is the feeling of quality or value. I've used FRN knives like the D'Allara and Stretch and they provide TONS of traction. Most of this comes from ergonomics rather than material which Spyderco is good with. The one thing they all have in common (within model lines) is the same lock strength and often the same blade.
Last edited by Blerv on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

Blerv, CAR TALK! thank you for putting it in a language i understand :D (especially sports cars)

and Im leaning towards the cara cara, its smaller (width) and looks nicer i think. And as used to liner locks as i have become, I am still leaning towards the lockback.

JD Spydo

Spyderco doesn't make a bad handle

Post by JD Spydo »

I have nothing at all against FRN ( fiberglass reinforced Nylon) handles. AS a matter of fact I own many Spyders with FRN handles and love all of them. My current main EDC is an FRN handled, Golden Co USA made Native model that I've been EDCing over a year now.

But for at least a half a dozen reasons I prefer G-10 handles over FRN. G-10 handles most usually gain high collector value far more rapidly than FRN handled Spyders. G-10 is slightly grippier and maintains it's orginal appearance better than FRN. G-10 is more ridgid on larger blades like the Captain and the Manix and other big models. And G-10 when you treat it with a cleaner and/or restorer like Ballistol it maintains and almost new appearance.

My 2 current favorite handle materials at this time are Micarta and Titanium. But Spyderco doesn't make a bad handle at all.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

Well, I decided on a g10 meadowlark. I realized something smaller would be better at first. I have a leatherman blade (not multi-tool) just about the same size, so I would already be used to it. It should arrive some time next week. Can't wait!!