How Do You Carry Your Spyderco Fixed-Blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

How Do You Carry Your Spyderco Fixed-Blades?

Post by Michael Janich »

Hello All:

Among my tasks as Special Projects Coordinator for Spyderco, I'm taking a hard look at fixed-blade sheath designs to maximize their function and versatility. The current standard hardware for our sheaths is the G-Clip, which is an elegantly simple piece of kit that works great for belt and IWB carry for small to medium-sized knives.

I'm curious to know how forumites are carrying their fixed blades, get feedback on the G-Clip, and get info on any aftermarket modifications you've made to allow your sheath to carry the way you want it to. I am particularly interested in feedback from any military or LE folks who have adapted their Spyderco sheaths to carry on MOLLE platforms.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
brj

Post by brj »

Hi Michael,

I own a Temperance II and usually use the small-of-back carriage setup
it is confortable, secure, deploys easily and carries well
no modifications needed here

gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I prefer shorter fixed blades. Out in the woods, I like horizontal carry in front of my weak side hip. I do a lot of bending, squatting, bushwhacking, and scrambling, and horizontal carry keeps me from getting poked and keeps the knife from getting snagged on brush. I make my own leather or kydex sheaths, but much prefer leather. Kydex makes a nice sheath for storage.

In town, I don't usually carry a fixed blade. I do have a Swick that I wear around my neck on runs. I sometimes put it in my pocket as it's nice and flat. When I made the sheath, I made a belt loop that allows horizontal carry on my left hip, but don't really ever use it. Haven't tried a J-clip or IWB for it.

Occasionally when I'm doing yard work I'll carry a FB and once again, it's horizontal, for the same reasons.

Gordon
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i am not in the military and i am not a cop anymore but i did modify mine :) . i just did this last week. we had a fire the other day but i didnt need to use it then. i hang it on a hook on my coat and velcro the whole contraption.

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
JT

Post by JT »

Mr. Janich,
PM incoming :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
gac

Post by gac »

I carry both my Swick and Mule on my belt, outside the waistband.

The Swick's sheath has a G-clip and works great. I have a teklok on the Mule sheath and need to order a G-Clip. The teklok works ok but is more dependent on the kind of belt I have. At times I have used the G-Clip on a plain waistband and it stays there.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I liked the introduction of the g-clip because it meant that I had a more feasible way of carrying a :spyder: FB with its supplied [Boltaron] sheath in the hip pockets of my ACUs. However, I would prefer to have the g-clip about 1-1.5in. longer, so that the sheath and knife sat deeper into the pocket. Having the knife in the pocket, and lower on the hip (below the torso), keeps it out of my ribs too in case I bend in its direction. I realize that what I'm describing isn't normal for the average "Joe" in today's US Armed Forces, but it would be more so for me if I had the option.

I'd be interested in a better way of attaching Spyderco FBs with their supplied sheaths to MOLLE gear (especially IOTV). How best is it to do that? One way would be an adapter; screw the regular Boltaron sheath to a nylon sleeve/webbing that has the approriate straps to weave into the straps on the gear. Another is molding the appropriate straps and loops into the sheath itself, though I'm not familiar with the limitations of the molding process(es) involved. Rubber straps with adjustable/removable "pull the dot" snap fasteners were a great idea on some custom kydex sheaths I got for the :spyder: Mules, as in IWB option. I suppose another option is just going with an existing vendor (e.g., Spec Ops) for a suitable "off-the-shelf" solution.

Some other things to consider on sheath versatility for military application is ambidexterity and security (e.g., jump compatible). The more options available for attaching and carrying means it will be available/ready for when it's needed by the Service member.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I carry my Ronin with the sheath and tech lock it came with. I carry it on my belt at 11.00, horizontally, handle forward, blade up. I positioned it so that it rides above my belt so it's easier to get my hand on the handle.

I wear sweatshirts and fleece jackets a lot in the winter and I can easily acquire a reverse grip, blade in, by slipping my hand under the fron of shirt and drawing forward and up across my body to a jabbing position. I keep it on the weak hand side so I can access my gun with my strong hand.

I used to carry in the same spot but flipped around for saber grip.

Looking forward to your next Spyderco project Michael!

BTW Michael, RAT has new set-up for molle carry for their R-3 which would be worth studying for ideas (you're probably familiar already).
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

When it comes to fixed blades and sheaths you can call me old-fashioned:

I actually hate Kydex, no particular reason but it is really not my thing.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I'm with Lorenzol. I would love an optional leather sheath offered with fixed blades, and would be willing to pay for it.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Current spydie fixed blades include Streetbeat and swick. Both in kydex. The SB I carry clipped IWB using the Gclip. Works great. The Swick is pocketed with no clip or other attachment device. The only problem with that is the pointy kydex sheath promotes tipping over. I'm looking into flatbottomed pocket sheaths.

I like to carry small fixed blades in pockets. I do a lot of field work and things attached to belts have a tendency to snag on vegetation or wire fences. I also wear pants (Railriders in warmer weather, for example) with roomy pockets. Around the farm I often wear carhart type bibs and pocket carry small fixed blades.

I carry the SB G-clipped to waist band on my running clothes.

Thanks for asking.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

For larger fixed blades I typically have them just on the inside of a back pack or just within reach of my patrol bag for public purposes.

If hiking or whatever, its just MOLLE or strung to the side of the pack or strap.

But when I get a Jump Master, that sexiness will be seen more.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Come to think of it, I really need a big FB toad stabber on my Esstac Boar vest. I just have a small $20.00 CRKT tonto right now for clearing malfunctions.
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

I think Kydex is a wonderfully versatile material with its only drawback being the "noise" factor.

I'm in the Horizontal weak side carry group, in and out of the truck and climbing up and down alot and this seems to fit best.

I spoke with Sal at the BLADE show last year re an idea I had for fixed carry, I will PM you and give you some brief details.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I don't. Any that I use, I use in the kitchen and hang on a magnetic knife rack. Haven't hunted, or found any other reason to carry a fixed blade, for a number of years. If I were to, my first choice of sheath material would be leather, with ballistic nylon a distant second, Hard plastics like Kydex do not appeal to me at all.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gac

Post by gac »

A qualification on my earlier comment: I only have my knives sheathed when I am not gripping the blade between my teeth and jumping down onto my enemies in full-color, comic book glory.
supermatch38sa

Post by supermatch38sa »

Dear Mike:
I live in the outdoors and when I´m not at work I carry my fixed blades on my small of the back between 30º-60º and sometimes when I´m not wearing a pistol I wear them inside the waistband strong hand side. However I personally prefer leather, and second kydex/boltaron which are very nice also. I wish that we could have the option of buying an extra leather sheath, it would be very nice and would satisfy most of us with a more classic taste.
Thanks a lot.
Greetings from Arce, Spain!!!
Kindest regards:
Jose
Attachments
032.jpg
032.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
033.jpg
033.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
031.jpg
031.jpg (102.3 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Jose
¨PRICE IS FORGOTTEN, QUALITY IS EVERLASTING¨
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

If it is a small blade, then I'd like it to carry like a folder. Clipped inside the pocket.
...oh you know why!
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I carry my Swick in a G-Clip sheath by Scott Gere horizontal on my belt. I have a recent Street Beat with a G-Clip that I carry vertical at 3 o'clock. I think that the G-Clip is an excellent idea and greatly prefer it to a Teklock.

The after-market Swick sheath is really nice and The Street Beat was Ok. I chopped the top 3/8" off of the SB sheath with a band saw and rounded the corners with a bench grinder because the extra length on top made getting a good grip on the knife as you drew a bit hard because the chiol was pretty much blocked off by the excess material at the top of the sheath. Otherwise, it's been tip-top and retention of the blade within the sheath hasn't notably suffered.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the g-clip is okay. a pretty decent combination of easy use and security. i agree that it should be longer. (?)

i carry my fixed blades (usually rock salt) in the following ways:

1. in the rear pouch of my maxpedition colossus, where it is concealed fairly nicely
2. on my belt, left hand side, angled slightly, for right handed cross draw. never straight... always angled.
3. clipped onto my backpack, or my backpack's waist strap. my rock salt felt out once while i was climbing up a very steep slope, and i nearly lost it... i've had trouble trusting the sheath ever since
4. clipped into the bib of my chest waders, or into the top of my waders... usually angled
5. smaller blades, clipped or otherwise attached to the sides of my maxpedition bags.
6. smaller fixed blades, sometimes with the sheath clipped into my pocket

in zambia, i also did neck carry with a little AG Russell knife (kinda was like a small, tactical steak knife), and belt carry... usually for the cross draw, angled, if possible.

i wish the rock salt had a sheath more like the BM fecas offsider sheath, or CR sheaths... even the little mora knife sheaths with a button closure thingy to hold the knife in place... something that guarantees the knife isn't going to fall out, even if held upside down, shaken, and bumped into branches and crazy stuff.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: