Blue ZDP Delica RIT-dyed,sacrilege?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Blue ZDP Delica RIT-dyed,sacrilege?

Post by JT »

So I have one slightly used Blue ZPD Delica Sprint run. If I remember right, there were 1200pcs made. I like the ZDP's pointier blade shape,I like the ZDP, it takes an wicked edge, and holds it pretty good. BUT to my eyes the light blue colour of the handles is just weird.

As I have some yellow Spyderhawks to RIT-dye, and possibly one FG D-Fly too, I thought of the idea to dye the Delica too. And yes, you've guessed the colour I'm going to use, black. As I almost only wear black pants, I find the black colour most convenient.

So, If you had a blue Delica Sprint, would you dye it? Mind you, this one is somewhat of a user... I guess I'm just trying to ease my guilt.. :o
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would. If you can't buy what you want then do it yourself. If it's a user you probably will never get rid of it so why does it matter it's your knife. The RIT dye works wonders my friend. My spyderhawks are still black. Just make sure you follow the instructions and get all the dye to dissovle. I used a bent coat hanger through the hole where the barrel clips went in to hold the spyderhawks and stir them around. If you want the full treatment take the barrel clips off because if not the spot where the barrel clip is will stay yellow. Apparently it's watertight when it seals against the FRN.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Why not see if someone will swap scales with you?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I wouldn't, but only because I like that blue/grey color about as well as I like black. Since you don't, the "collector value" has already been killed by using it, and you're going to be dying other knives, I'd say go for it.

Foliage green would be a different story. I'm considering dying both my G-10 D'fly and UKPKDP. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

While you are at it just dye your hands black as well...this way you'll be really stealth....Doc :p :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

I think I'd like to take my Endura 4 Wave the RIT way. Any clues on where I can obtain (online) some of that bottled/powdered magic?
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'd dye it.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

That is probably my favorite Spydie ever made, so I would have to say NO! I just really like the blue color handle.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

When you do the dye job, do you disassemble the knife and dye scales only?

Those yellow scales have kept me from buying a spyderhawk.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sacrilege? Not doing anything at all with that knife would be a sacrilege.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Croc you can get RIT at wal mart or CVS or other stores like that. I don't know exactly where in walmart but i've seen it i know it. I bought some at rite aid myself.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Just buy a black Delica and switch the scales.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The only reason it would be wrong is if you wanted to maintain the collector value or you have plans to sell it down the road.

If you plan on using it, then do as you will & enjoy.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

VashHash wrote:Croc you can get RIT at wal mart or CVS or other stores like that. I don't know exactly where in walmart but i've seen it i know it. I bought some at rite aid myself.
Thanks for the tip, but... no Wal Marts or CVSs in Portugal. If I may ask, what kind of dying is usually made with this product? Industrial, hobbies and crafts, home improvement?
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RIT is meant to be used on fabric. It comes in both powdered and liquid form, but from what I've read, the powder is the type folks are using on their knives. I would imagine similar products exist in Europe. Best bet might be to ask one of the ladies in your life.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

I am looking to buy a regular vg-10/frn delica. I like the black and sliver color, but it looks like every other (non spidy) knife out there.

Thats why I am waiting to see the limited run ffg's with colored handles. I think the alternate colors are great.
Proud owner of a meadowlark g10!! :spyder:

slice22358 wrote:You and your ball lock obsession:D
:rolleyes: Guilty :p
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Im gonna dye my orange Millie when I get a chance. Im gonna try something dark but hopefully not black. If it doesn't then Black it is.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i would swap scales
harpwn

Post by harpwn »

AHH MAN, DON't DO IT!! JUST SELL IT!! Or buy some replacement black scales. I will buy your blue scales.
harpwn

Post by harpwn »

Ohh wait, my mistake - these scales are the gray non-blue that the Wave knives come in, right? I just imagine people dyeing their wonderful pink or white Delicas, and it makes me want to ;'(