discontinued model at local store

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dnb

discontinued model at local store

Post by dnb »

I was visiting Amor-Geddon in Cupertino to look at some Chris Reeve knives, and I saw some discontinued models.

I'm not interested in them, but just in case you guys are...

They had one All Black ATR, and a couple of D'Allara.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Are you still around there? Are the ATRs and the D'Allaras plain edge?
I looked them up but they do not seem to have an online operation...
dnb

Post by dnb »

I just called them to ask.

I asked them about the Black ATR, and their response was, "you mean the really old knives?"...lol

They said the ATR is "almost fully serrated. The drop-point looking D'Allara is half serrated, and the rescue D'Allara is fully serrated.

Funny thing is, I told them they should order more plain edge then combos for all their knives, but they said most of their customers buy combo.

Yeah, no website...they are in a mall, but they have a good selection of Spydies, Gold class Benchmades, Emerson...and they are a Chris Reeve dealer.

I ended up ordering the Umnumzaan!
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

Good choice.

It's good to hear that there are a few B&M stores still out there for folks to visit.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
dnb

Post by dnb »

it was nice to touch and compare the different brands, finally got to handle a Military, wow that is a big knife.

The Spyderco's had good quality, but I did notice some annoying flaws in the other major brands such as big blade play in several examples, and blades scraping the sides of the handle in another brand (two examples also).
Tank

Post by Tank »

Where in Cupertino is the Amor-Geddon store?
-John
dnb

Post by dnb »

In Valco Mall.

Armor-Geddon
10123 N Wolfe Road
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 873-8899

Sorry, didn't realize my profile didn't say Location - Bay Area, CA
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Thanks for the information, DNB. Unfortunately I hate serrations and love shopping online.
THG

Post by THG »

Tank wrote:Where in Cupertino is the Amor-Geddon store?
Valco mall. They're a decent shop, but they sell at MSRP, unfortunately. According to them, the manufacturers "make them sell at MSRP." And they wonder why they had to shut down their Oakridge mall location :rolleyes:
That's probably the reason they still have older and discontinued models behind their counters. I believe they even had a CF Harpy at the old Oakridge location. I'm sure they brought the stock to the Valco shop.

They also told me that ZDP is one of the most rust-resistant steels because it has 20% chromium. If you're gonna go there to buy, go ahead and buy, but do yourself a favor and don't let them talk to you lol
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Tank

Post by Tank »

I had been to the one in Oakridge alot, but mostly just to handle them as MSRP plus tax is just to steep for my budget. Good know know there is still a place other than steven's creek surplus.

Thanks
-John
dnb

Post by dnb »

Oh yeah, they did have the CF Harpy.
I hear ya on pricing, thats why for Spydies, I like this certain "shoppe" on the net :-)
But for Chris Reeve's, the pricing is controlled, thus no savings on the net other than tax. There is something to be said about touching them, too.

Hey, what is steven's creek surplus?
THG

Post by THG »

dnb wrote:Hey, what is steven's creek surplus?
They sell army stuff. They're a good shop with a decent knife selection. They seem to get knives later than online shops, but they have more than just the standard D4/E4, etc. They do sell lower than MSRP, but not as low as online pricing. I'd say their prices are in the middle of MSRP and online.

Last time I checked, they had a Kris, a Stretch 1 (CE), and... I think I saw a Spyder Saw a long time ago, but I didn't remember seeing it the last time I went.

Not a bad place at all. I'd check them out if I were you. They're about 2 minutes down Steven's Creek from Valley Fair Mall and Santana Row.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme