Mule Thoughts

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Mule Thoughts

Post by Marion David Poff »

Good Day,

I have been expressing my interest in the Mule Team Project by building a Blog dedicated to it's expression. From News and Rumours, to a Gallery and How-To's, I have been really immersing myself in all the information available online about the Mule Team Project.

In the process, I have been educated, founds some new things, and gained a new understanding of things I have only skimmed over before. Let me tell you, there is a great deal going on in the Mule World.

So, I have some thoughts about some of this stuff, and I thought I would post them here.....

With the release and delivery of the fifth Mule, the 9Cr18Mo Mule from China, the issue of the finish quality of the knives has been a subject of quite a bit of talk. The issue most discussed is warpage. It seems, that with the ground-breaking nature of the use of this steel in a knife of this style, the manufacturer did not have their heat treat procedures as dialed-in as would be best. But, this is really no deal breaker, it seems to me. If your Mule is too warped, send it in, and Spyderco, being the Class Act company that they are, will exchange it for one that will function properly.

But, this brings us to the greater debate, that has been seething under the discussions about warpage. Function. The Mule Team Project has a very simple purpose, to place a piece of steel in your hands so that you may experience the qualities of that steel. Period. The Project is that simple. There is an experimental nature to this Project. Some of these steels have never been made into a knife of this type. The Mule Team Project is an Experience as much as it is a Product. It is a chance to learn, for Spyderco, and for us, the Knuts and AFI's. So, if you remember that the purpose is to provide a useable piece of steel, then minor warpage or finish irregularities become unimportant.

Also, remember that no knife is perfect, it is only the scale of the 'imperfections' that changes. A custom maker with decades of experience can create a knife that is visually without blemish, but if you ask him about the flaw, he will probably be able to show you one right away, and if he can't, hand it to me, and with the help of the right magnification and the right light sources, I will show you a couple. The scale of perfection for the Mules is a bit lower than the Spyderco standard, but that is because that standard of fit and finish is just not necessary to fulfil the Purpose, and would increase the price of the knife, which cannot happen if this project is to continue.

Another issue which has made it's self present, is the "Mule as Kit Knife". Remember, the Mule Team Projects purpose is not to produce kit knives, but if one keeps that in mind you may find that a particular release suits that purpose just fine. It is a knife, after all. As well, I think it was only a matter of time before the greater knife world came to see that Spyderco was creating a great knife, and once that happened, people started being interested in them as Kit knives. Which is why I think it may not be a bad idea if Spyderco were to create a Mule every so often, that would suit this purpose. After all, if Spyderco can make a profit selling a knife to a guy who wants a knife, and he wants it as a Kit knife, why not. Or maybe there could be a regular production Mule, 154 CM maybe?

I say that we are seeing some growing pains for the Project, and if bear with, we will see the Project strengthened for them.

Now, a few words about steel.

I have read a few times where it has been suggested that a Mule be created in Hitachi Blue. Which I am all for. Sal has stated that they are required to buy more than is necessary for the Mule, to which I respond that I think it might be a good idea to make a larger than normal Mule run. Hitachi Blue certainly has the chops to be a high quality knife, and could provide a high quality Kit blade. And with the resurgence of interest in high carbon non-stainless steels, Hitachi Blue is a fine choice.

I don't know which one will be next, though CPM 35VN is a top contender in my mind. But, be they Carpenter, Hitachi, Bohler, Thyssen-Krupp, the old Crucible, the new Crucible, or Takefu, keep 'em rolling. Be they they old standards like W2, O1, D2 or if they be exotic like Mission Beta Titanium, INFI, or X15t.n, bring them on. Even if they have strange names like Super Gold, CruWare or Uddenholm Elmax. Maybe even kick down some Mootz or Clad.

Keep 'em coming.....

If you haven't seen my blog, check it out, you might like it.

http://muleprojects.blogspot.com/

Marion
Marion David Poff
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Marion i completely agree with you about the mule project. But we have to take in consideration it's not just a learning process for us but also for spyderco. The ZDP issue was a big thing and spyderco is doing their best to correct it and test the knives for proper HRC. It's a way for spyderco to learn to make better knives and help people make better choices about the steel they choose for a knife. A knife is a tool and it has to perform a certain task very well. Spyderco is giving us the oppurtunity to try new things and say YES i was this steel or NO it's not that great. What other company would ever do something like this? None that i can think of.
sal

Post by sal »

Very nice Marion,

thanx much.

sal
Marion David Poff
Banned

Vash - Exactly right, what other company would do something like this?

sal - Thank you for leading a company that will produce a Project such as this. And luckily "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking." is not just a slogan for Spyderco.

Marion
Marion David Poff
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Mule Thoughts:Yes I can be stubborn at times..... :p ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Thanks for the thoughts!

There's warpage in every heat-treat operation; straighten the steel before it cools and you're usually "close" to your tolerances. Back in the day, we left 1/16" to be ground after HT, and that's always covered me for warpage. Now that I've started to grind closer and closer to final finish before HT (one of my HT guys leaves it so clean I can just buff off the "frost" of scale) it's harder to use that as a "fudge factor" (though this "new breed" is also much more careful to straighten warpage than I used to be with knives in the forge.)

Would be interesting to know how long this particular plant has been doing HT for this kind of tight-tolerance application/knives this long.
—Daniel Jackson
Marion David Poff
Banned

JacksonKnives wrote:Thanks for the thoughts!

There's warpage in every heat-treat operation; straighten the steel before it cools and you're usually "close" to your tolerances. Back in the day, we left 1/16" to be ground after HT, and that's always covered me for warpage. Now that I've started to grind closer and closer to final finish before HT (one of my HT guys leaves it so clean I can just buff off the "frost" of scale) it's harder to use that as a "fudge factor" (though this "new breed" is also much more careful to straighten warpage than I used to be with knives in the forge.)

Would be interesting to know how long this particular plant has been doing HT for this kind of tight-tolerance application/knives this long.
I think Spyderco is at some level a victim of it's own reputation. They produce so many visually perfect knives, in so many different materials, that it sets the bar pretty high.

My brother's S90V mule has some deep scratches perpendicular to the edge. I was a bit surprised when I first saw it, but then I remembered what the project is about...

Marion
Marion David Poff