Spyderco Factory Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

cpc63 wrote:IIRC, last year the smaller knives like the Caly 3, UKPK were $20, the larger like the Military, Manix and Endura4 G-10 were $40. Natives were $15, Aqua Salt $25, Swick $10.

It was great fun, plan to go again this year too. :)
Are you effing kidding me.
Come Join Us Click Here
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Oh man my mother, sister, and brother in law work for delta. I could get a buddy pass and fly out there for the day. Arrive in the morning, shop around, anything I buy ship it home, and jump on the plane home that night.

I won't be able to make it this year. But that actually sounds like a good idea I may have to do that. How far is Spyderco from the Airport?

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Looks to be about 40 miles from Denver International.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Well worth the car rental. Perhaps another forumite could pick you up in exchange for gas $$...
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

yablanowitz wrote:Looks to be about 40 miles from Denver International.
Looks to be about 540 miles from the airport in Omaha.

(That's what I'm going to drive :D )
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

380 miles from my door to theirs if I pick the route. 419 if I let Google maps choose. :rolleyes:
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

1850 miles from my door. :(
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

cpc63 wrote:IIRC, last year the smaller knives like the Caly 3, UKPK were $20, the larger like the Military, Manix and Endura4 G-10 were $40. Natives were $15, Aqua Salt $25, Swick $10.

It was great fun, plan to go again this year too. :)
what types of imperfections should we expect from, lets say, $20 UKPKs?
In omnia paratus
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

If I'm not mistaken the Swicks came out earlier this year so I'm not sure how they could have been available @ last years factory outlet sale. Unless they had a bunch left over from the original Swick a few years ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

'm going to try to make it. I had one question. Someone mentioned bringing lots of cash. Is is a cash only sale? I need to know whether or not to clean out the account or just bring the fantastic plastic.

Thanks, Gordon
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

gaj999 wrote:'m going to try to make it. I had one question. Someone mentioned bringing lots of cash. Is is a cash only sale? I need to know whether or not to clean out the account or just bring the fantastic plastic.

Thanks, Gordon
Gordon,
We absolutely DO take plastic. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Thanks Kristi,

Thinking about it, my wife pays the CC bills ... maybe I *should* bring cash.

Gordon
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I was just wondering what determines a factory second to be just that? What kind of defects are on the knives and have they been repaired or as is?

Excuse my probably dumb question :o , but just wanted to know what kind of condition they are in. I would really like to go to the sale but just want to hear from some people about the things they have purchased in the past and what kind of "problems" the second knives had.

Thanks in advance guys :)
Vic
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Vic,

I believe any cosmetic or minor issues on the knives make it a second. Anything unsafe IIRC aren't for sale.

The seconds are then marked with a notch on the blade spine.

Wish I could make it, but I'm afraid my kayak is under repair ATM :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
cpc63

Post by cpc63 »

Vic,

Except for the grind notch on the blade the knives were mostly in very good to almost perfect condition.

Got the following: Caly 3, UKPK, Aqua Salt, Native, Endura4 G-10, Manix FG, Swick, Spyderwrench and Blue Rescue. I'm no expert, but I could not see why they were seconds, the Manix had a tag that said the G-10 was discolored.

IIRC there were a bunch of UKPKs, Natives, Paras, Military, some Chinooks etc.

I saw very few with broken tips etc.

Weather willing I'll be there again. ;)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Also, just a heads up, in the past there have been instances where in the weeks / months after the factory outlet sale, people have tried to pass off factory second knives as NIB on ebay. So buyer beware.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

One issue I noticed with many of the seconds I picked up was there was some vertical play when locked. Nothing unsafe and in use unnoticeable.

That said, I pulled out a Lava 2nd the other day and the only thing I can find is that the scale/spacer have a slight gap on one side. No biggy for a $25 Lava.

I hope to have fun at this years, I'm trying to get a coworker to come. I've been working on getting him hooked for a while. He just lost his Cara Cara to TSA, so i mentioned the sale. I hope no one minds if I let him line butt; it would be cool to shop with him, but I doubt if he will be there very early.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

ozspyder wrote:Hi Vic,

I believe any cosmetic or minor issues on the knives make it a second. Anything unsafe IIRC aren't for sale.

The seconds are then marked with a notch on the blade spine.

Wish I could make it, but I'm afraid my kayak is under repair ATM :D
Thanks man!! Doesn't sound like a big deal at all to me :)

cpc63 wrote:Vic,

Except for the grind notch on the blade the knives were mostly in very good to almost perfect condition.

Got the following: Caly 3, UKPK, Aqua Salt, Native, Endura4 G-10, Manix FG, Swick, Spyderwrench and Blue Rescue. I'm no expert, but I could not see why they were seconds, the Manix had a tag that said the G-10 was discolored.

IIRC there were a bunch of UKPKs, Natives, Paras, Military, some Chinooks etc.

I saw very few with broken tips etc.

Weather willing I'll be there again. ;)
WOW nice scores brother! Sounds like I really need to go :(
Jay_Ev wrote:Also, just a heads up, in the past there have been instances where in the weeks / months after the factory outlet sale, people have tried to pass off factory second knives as NIB on ebay. So buyer beware.
Thanks for the heads up! Gotta be careful on the bay.... :o
MountainManJim wrote:One issue I noticed with many of the seconds I picked up was there was some vertical play when locked. Nothing unsafe and in use unnoticeable.

That said, I pulled out a Lava 2nd the other day and the only thing I can find is that the scale/spacer have a slight gap on one side. No biggy for a $25 Lava.

I hope to have fun at this years, I'm trying to get a coworker to come. I've been working on getting him hooked for a while. He just lost his Cara Cara to TSA, so i mentioned the sale. I hope no one minds if I let him line butt; it would be cool to shop with him, but I doubt if he will be there very early.

Jim
Thanks for the info! sounds like they are absolute steals....

Thanks for the answers guys it really helps! I really gotta go!!! Hopefully I can work something out!
Vic
gac

Post by gac »

Is anyone going to take orders for those of us unable to be there? I wouldn't mind getting a Lava or Military.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Are any of the MT04 ZDP Mules going to be there? I wonder if the "too hard" Mules are going to be considered 2nd's?

I'd love to go and try for a Temperance 2, but I'm completely booked that weekend. It's only 465 miles for me, so maybe next year.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...