The Steel for the Next Mule - 9Cr18Mo - What is it's claim to fame?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sal

Post by sal »

yablanowitz wrote:I seem to recall Sal saying it was a new steel that hasn't been used in anything yet, so this may be a field test for a Byrd upgrade. ;)
Hi Yab, I guess I lied.

At the time it was true, but we have since made a short run (200 pcs) of a Titanium Linerlock Catbyrd with gray inserts. We had planned for it to be a regular item, but the maker cannot easily get the Titan in China, so this will be it for the model. It's one of my designs (with tag) and should become available this month (OCT).

The 9Cr was the result of our pushing for better steels. Something that we do as a matter of course. I guess it's a genetic disorder, but constant refinement and improvement is normal here.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

well yab i'm sure it's a pain to grind and make blades out of but you know what that means once it's made. They said the same thing about S90V and i think it's a great steel i'm sure spyderco would do an amazing heat treat as usual to make it manageable by the average joe and if not i'll pay the shipping to get them to sharpen it IF it ever were to need sharpening and as for the genetic disorder sal i geuss i have the same disorder as well Always looking to better myself and the things around me if possible
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Hi Yab, I guess I lied.

At the time it was true, but we have since made a short run (200 pcs) of a Titanium Linerlock Catbyrd with gray inserts. We had planned for it to be a regular item, but the maker cannot easily get the Titan in China, so this will be it for the model. It's one of my designs (with tag) and should become available this month (OCT).

The 9Cr was the result of our pushing for better steels. Something that we do as a matter of course. I guess it's a genetic disorder, but constant refinement and improvement is normal here.

sal
Awesome news Sal. You say a Ti linerlock, but did you mean RIL like the standard Catbyrd? Either way sounds good to me. Can you put one on hold for me? ;) :p
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

It has Ti scales with a stainless steel Walker Linerlock.

Should be announced in the next few days.

sal
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

tap wrote:A little bit of google shows that it is used in china for bearings where a high corrosion resistance is required. And it is "equivalent" to 440C in the USA and Japan. So this is what china was supposed to use in the Byrd line originally. Again this was a little bit of searching.
I saw the same thing, when I did a bit of searching on Google.

But, I always enjoy reading about other's experience, thus the thread.

Marion
Marion David Poff
THG

Post by THG »

I don't think the steel needs a claim to fame for use in the Mule, does it? The Mule project is supposed to be "everything experimental," I thought.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

VashHash wrote:well yab i'm sure it's a pain to grind and make blades out of but you know what that means once it's made. They said the same thing about S90V and i think it's a great steel i'm sure spyderco would do an amazing heat treat as usual to make it manageable by the average joe and if not i'll pay the shipping to get them to sharpen it IF it ever were to need sharpening and as for the genetic disorder sal i geuss i have the same disorder as well Always looking to better myself and the things around me if possible
Phil was having a hard time with the blades cracking during grinding if I remember right, and I think that was before the heat treatment. I would like to see a Mule in S110V, though. It seems to be a workable steel.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Eighth of Eight

Post by Eighth of Eight »

tap wrote:More searching shows it closer to 440B. It is coming from china. So do you want the melamine as a side dish or mixed in? It should be "tougher" than the current Byrd steel. That is a good thing.
I've wanted to get a few mules for the kitchen, didn't want to get a ZDP (too breakable). :rolleyes:
This may be a stupid question but can steel have awful additives put in the recipe? I already lost a dog to bad kibble.
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
D'fly PE - D'fly SE - S.P.O.T. PE - '09 Swick - Caly 3 SE - Native DLC SE - Manix 2 SE - Tasman Salt SE - Saver Salt SE - Dodo SE - MT05P - Centofonte 3 - Yin/Yang - Baby Goddard - MT06P -
Swick 2 - '09 Meercat - Superhawk - C101GPBL2 Blue Manix 2
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yes, there are some awful things that could be included in the steel. Most of them won't leach back out to cause problems. Iron 59 and cobalt 60 are both radioisotopes that could conceivably find their way into steel through recycling. It is very doubtful that they would be concentrated enough to cause any health risk. If they were, a simple Geiger counter would pick them up. I would think that after 9/11/01, Customs would be checking for radiation sources that strong.
zombie

Post by zombie »

I remember reading a post last year on cpf about someones Chinese made flashlight being slightly radioactive, I think it was specifically the clip. :eek:
here's the thread about it
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=210671

but you probably get more radiation from your blackberry then a contaminated knife or flashlight :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When I was in the Navy back in the day, I did routine radiation surveys. The hottest thing I ever turned up outside the reactor compartment was a Big Ben alarm clock that hit 1200 counts per minute on an RM3 frisker. Normal background was about 30 counts per minute on that meter, and the test source to check the calibration was 100 cpm. We ended up disposing of it as radioactive waste.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Might have to pick a couple up for quickie projects for folks that want a nicely done fixed blade and don't want to wait for me to get around to grinding, send for heat treat, etc. At $20/blade, very economical for someone to get a fine fixed blade.

As for the future of CPM steels, am wondering if anyone knows anything concrete regarding the auction of Crucibles assets in September.
WTC #1455
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sounds like good news:

"However, creditors opted to take J. P. Industries Inc., a private Cleveland company, bid to buy the plant for $8 million. It created Crucible Industries to run the plant.

The new owners plan to close on the sale on Oct. 16, and to restart the plant in either the first or second week of November"

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ent_w.html
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Until this point I've never gotten on the mule wagon, but I might just have to at this price.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Sequimite wrote:Sounds like good news:

"However, creditors opted to take J. P. Industries Inc., a private Cleveland company, bid to buy the plant for $8 million. It created Crucible Industries to run the plant.

The new owners plan to close on the sale on Oct. 16, and to restart the plant in either the first or second week of November"

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ent_w.html
Thanks for the scoop Sequimite, :) , kinda gotten smitten by the CPM steels.
WTC #1455