CAT! a taster

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

CAT! a taster

Post by gull wing »

Just got it in. This is NOT a review. Just a scan of the overall knife.

First, I like the size and feel, it's just what i expected. The DESIGN is perfect.

Two, fit and finish is just below the Sage I. Let me hasten to remind you this is a $47.95 knife. So, it is more than good enough for a knife this size.

This is a knife I WILL like, wheather it will be one that I love(like the Sage) we will see in later remarks and many pictures.
This will be fun. :D
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Congrats on the new purchase. I look forward to your future review of the knife. I'm eager to pick up a CAT since it appears to be one heck of a bargain.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Looks kinda like a locking Urban! I want one :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

One thing I like about the blade design is the fact that the grind does not cut across the Spyderhole the way it does on many other FFG Spyderco knives (such as the Urban in your photo). This leaves a smooth hole rather than one that has a "step" in it, and seems much more appealing from a comfort and aesthetic perspective.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Nice looking knife. Congrats on the purchase.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Wow that is one great deal! I guess I wrote them off to soon :rolleyes:
Good looking knife and looks like it screams incredible value!
Vic
hlc

Post by hlc »

still waiting the review for cat and chicago :D
phaust

Post by phaust »

Great picture! I hadn't noticed before that the spyderhole is bigger, nor that the grind is entirely behind the hole (it's not at all a big deal, but to me it seems more pleasing aesthetically in comparison).
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

How is the lock engagement?
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Nice pics Gullwing. Thanks for the comparison. Cat is #1 on my list now. And thanks to the comparison, the Urban is permanently off the list. Same size, but less coolness - no S30V, no CF, no lock.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

holy cow! the cat is way cooler than i expected! sounds like i need to pick one up... maybe even a chicago... as a replacement for my trusty SS dragonfly that i've beaten to ****... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

i was actually not attracted to the Cat at all, untill i saw it next to an Urban, Now its on the list :)
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
MCM

Post by MCM »

WOW a CF S30v locking Urban for 1/2 the price!
Count me in!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

They'll be some Cats going out as Christmas presents this year. Really hits the sweet spot on price, quality and a blade size that has broad appeal.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Too small for my day to day tastes, but at that price, might make a nice sheeple friendly dress up piece. It'll for sure make for some fantastic Christmas presents. Thanks for the pics and grats on your new spydie!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Got mine last night. Somehow I'm underwhelmed and I'm not sure why. Its pretty well built and looks nice too. Maybe its the blasted liners and hardware that just aren't doing it for me.

I agree that its below the fit and finish level of the cf sage, though for the price I still think its a good deal. Especially for S30V and carbon fiber. Somehow leaving me cold though. Oh well.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

How's the lock engagement on yours?
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Anyone care to comment on the CF used? My favorite CF on any Spyderco has been the type used on the Sage. What Spyderco does the Cat's CF compare to? Thanks in advance.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Where did you get it?
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i prefer the my sage ti but anyway i love my cat. it came filthy and had to wash it and re oil it cuz the oil was ALL over it and i had to dry and clean and then re oil a little incase it started to rub after i washed the oil out

ABX2011
Spyderco Forum Registered User Join Date: Oct 2009
How's the lock engagement on yours?

what's wrong with your lock? is it taking more effort to get it down? cuz mine seamed a little off when i first got it and was worried something happened since it was a mess when i got it and was worried but after a few days its back to easy access like there was never a problem with open and close.
also i got mine at kc from howard for 44 but not in stock anymore. sorry