MT05P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring 9Cr18Mo

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT05P will be available for sale on Wednesday, 14-Oct-2009 at 1000 (10:00 a.m.) MDT.

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: Unlimited

Cost: $20.00 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About 9Cr18Mo:
9Cr18Mo is a premium ingot high-carbon steel. In our experience it’s the best knife steel being produced in China today. The name is derived from its component elements: .9% carbon, 18% chromium and 1% molybdenum. With controlled heat treat and tempering it reaches a HRc of 58-62. Before its entrée into the knife industry it was widely used for high-end Chinese barbering scissors, roller bearings and surgical tools due to its corrosion resistance and high processing quality. The application of 9Cr18Mo to knife manufacturing opens up another steel option for high-end knife manufacturers and their high-end knife enthusiasts alike. The addition of a 9Cr18Mo Spyderco Mule fleshes out the series further by offering users the opportunity to evaluate and test drive a high-performance steel from yet another country.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Whoopee! I can afford to do some crazy things with these.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Twenty bucks sounds like an offer I can't refuse :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
araneae

Post by araneae »

Woo-hoo! $20 Mule!!! :)

Thanks for the info Kristi!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Finally a knife in my price range. From the description I have high hopes for this knife as a hard user.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Looks great to me. The MT project is one of the Spyderco projects that I am least interested in, but a Spyderco fixed blade at this price... too many great models coming out lately.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I sense 4 or 5 of these in my near future...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jabba359 wrote:I sense 4 or 5 of these in my near future...
Ya gotsa buy enough stuff to hit the $75 free shipping. I'm think 4 or 5 also.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I agree with jabba. This mule well get trashed to no end i never give someone else my knife to use but at this price i might as well hand it to someone else and see what they can do to it. Always wanted a decent fixed blade beater and this seems like the answer I think i'll buy atleast enough to get free shipping ;) ohh throwing in a quick question will this be a 600 or 1000 piece production i'm thinking it'd be a 1000 but being an experimental steel maybe the crystal ball said otherwise
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Oh man i am getting several of these babies. Nice, any idea when the zdp ones will be back on the market?
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
choubbi

Post by choubbi »

I'm in for 4 of them !
I'd be in for 5 of them if the international shipping was $25 for $0 to $100 shopping cart, instead of $0 to $99...

Edit : well, if the official price were to be $19.99 instead of $20 that would enable us foreigners to get more knives, wouldn't it ?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Never ordered from factory: So I must wait till wednesday 14th to place order? No pre order?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I just caught this:
"Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 piece"

The previous Mules have all described the Mule program as 600 piece runs, so this one is probably 1000. Glad to hear it since the price will cause sales to be brisk.

Gull wing, no preorders. You need to register on the catalog portion of the site separately from your forum registration in order to buy online.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Crikey,

Why do Mules always get released while I'm off backpacking? I sure hope there are a couple left for me on the 19th. I've got a real bad feeling about this one ...

Gordon
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

For that price, I think a couple may be in order...

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

Well..........

Being a steel junkie, I'm kinda disappointed that it isn't CPM 9V or CPM S125V, :( :( but........OTOH, at $20/copy I just might have to have 3 or 4! :p :p
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Pardon mates, what is the sense of hoarding Mules ... the "cheap price of the MT05P?
I understand if somebody would need a second piece as backup, but 3/4/5 or even more from a limited production quantity for one person :confused:

Ok, you can tell me that you want to gift the knives. But nobody wrote that.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Since they didn't put a limit on how many you can buy, and they know how fast the 52100 Mule flew off the shelf at $29.95 a pop with a limit of two, I have a feeling that there are going to be more than a thousand of these available. Less expensive means more people will buy one just out of curiousity. People won't be afraid to beat them up at that price, so more of them are going to get trashed. I've bought two of each so far, but I may have to get three of these.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Peter1960 wrote:Pardon mates, what is the sense of hoarding Mules ... the "cheap price of the MT05P?
I understand if somebody would need a second piece as backup, but 3/4/5 or even more from a limited production quantity for one person :confused:

Ok, you can tell me that you want to gift the knives. But nobody wrote that.
I'm not planning on hoarding them. They will make nice gifts with homemade scales, but at this price I may cut down a couple to try to make a folder, embed one in a hiking staff with a removable top, grind down the back of the blade to try a custom geometry and abuse at least one to test the chipping / breaking point.
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Very cool could be some Christmas presents, or just a excuse to buy some different material for handles and sheaths.
Thanks
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71