Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kelly

New & Improved Collector Program

Post by Kelly »

Hi Everyone,
I know it has been awhile and we really appreciate your patience. It has taken us some time and several meetings to review & discuss & review & discuss again! I know that it will probably not give everyone what they want but I think that most of you will agree there are great improvements!

I am posting the new program below - if you want to get in touch with Karen to go ahead and make your selections for the new program, you can e-mail her (see note below). (She knows I'm posting her e-mail here so she's expecting you :) She will send you the official contract with the signature page.

EDITED TO NOTE NEW CONTACT Tamara coordinates the Collector Club. She can be reached at tleonti@spyderco.com.

We'd like to have everyone switched over to the new program by October 26th so that we can start the new program in November. There will still be some collector knives to come in October and I'm sorry that those won't be on the new program as we need to give everyone (those who don't visit here frequently) an opportunity to make their decisions and get back to us.

Here is the contract information without all the signatures, etc.

Spyderco Collector Program

Definitions:
Main Piece:

A new model number: C101, C102, etc.
A design sequence number: Manix2, Delica4, etc.
Will be a PlainEdge (unless it is only being produced with an edge configuration other than PlainEdge

Variation:
A different color handle, materials (handle and blade), edge configurations, trainers, etc

Sprint:

Anything produced by Spyderco in a limited production quantity, announced ahead of time as a Sprint Run and in what quantity it will be produced

Set:
Anything planned and produced by Spyderco in a limited production quantity AND more than one in the series: Mule Team, Kopa, etc

Collector Enrollment Levels:
Bronze Collector:
Receives Main Pieces Only
Does NOT receive Sprints or Variations
Does NOT receive Sets unless added on (see below)

Silver Collector:
Receives Main Pieces
Receives Sprints
Does NOT receive all variations
Does NOT receive Sets unless added on (see below)

Gold Collector:
Receives Main Pieces
Receives Sprints
Receives Variations
Does not receive Sets unless added on (see below)

Optional Add ons:
Sets:
Sets like Mule Teams, Kopas, etc. will be offered separately for the collector to take all of the set.
This will be offered at the time the collector signs up based on any sets in progress or will be offered as Spyderco introduces a new set

Spyderco Collector Program Contract

1. All pieces will be engraved with collector’s number, variations will be engraved with the number followed by a V. For any numbers that are not assigned a collector, these knives will not be numbered. When a number is assigned to a new collector, we are unable to make available any previously issued models.

2. Numbered collectors will be shipped first (with the premier program to immediately follow)

3. Fixed Blades are included in the collector program, sharpeners and byrd knives are NOT included in the program.

4. If ever it is determined that a numbered knife is defective under Spyderco’s warranty, a new knife will be issued and engraved with a period following the number to designate the second numbering, for example, “141.” Spyderco reserves the right of ownership to any knife replaced under warranty.

5. A large part of the value of being a collector is having the opportunity to receive one of the first 200 production pieces. With this opportunity, the Collector is accepting the possibility that there may be minor flaws with the first production of an individual SKU.

6. Spyderco reserves the right to sell any collector knives through our Factory Outlet Store with prior notification to the Collector (typically this will be an option that the Collector can choose to purchase or opt out of)

7. There will only be one number associated with one name – Spyderco will not set up more than one collector number to one name and Spyderco will not set up numbers without an end user contract. Spyderco offers a different program (Premier Program) for dealers & distributors interested in being first to get quantity to sell.

8. The Collector reserves the right to choose which Dealer they purchase their collector numbered items through, providing the Dealer has met Spyderco’s requirements to purchase direct. The Collector reserves the right to change Dealers at any time by notifying Spyderco in writing.

9. All numbered knives will be shipped UPS ground to the Dealer, the Collector is required to make payment and delivery arrangements with the Dealer.

10. The Collector must sign the contract and make their enrollment level choices, Spyderco will not accept the Dealer choosing on behalf of the Collector.

11. All knives in the selected enrollment level must be purchased and the Collector is NOT able to individually request knives offered in a different level. Please consider the enrollment levels and financial obligations carefully.

12. The Collector reserves the right to change the level of enrollment at anytime. However, if the Collector drops to a lower level, there will be a six month waiting period to rejoin the higher level. All changes must be submitted to and accepted by Spyderco in writing.

13. All Collectors must keep their current contact information on file with Spyderco and the Dealer they are purchasing from – this is to include, name, address, phone #, and e-mail if they have one.

14. If at any time a collector wishes to terminate the Collector agreement, he/she MUST notify Spyderco and the dealer he/she is purchasing from in writing.

15. If the dealer determines that the collector is not fulfilling the delivery and payment arrangements, they reserve the right to terminate the agreement by notifying the collector and Spyderco in writing.

Thanks everyone for all of your patience, input and support!!
Kelly
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

So what about the knives soon to be numbered like the Spyderhawks? Im a variant collector, or was.. Do I still get mine, or do all knives from now on fall under this new plan?
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rlw1979777 wrote:So what about the knives soon to be numbered like the Spyderhawks? Im a variant collector, or was.. Do I still get mine, or do all knives from now on fall under this new plan?
If I'm reading this:
Kelly wrote:We'd like to have everyone switched over to the new program by October 26th so that we can start the new program in November. There will still be some collector knives to come in October and I'm sorry that those won't be on the new program as we need to give everyone (those who don't visit here frequently) an opportunity to make their decisions and get back to us.

Kelly
correctly, knives already on the street, like the Spyderhawk and G-10 Dragonfly, would fall under our current plan. The "grey area" might be anything released in October.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Thats what I was thinking Deacon. I was just hoping for a little clarification. Seems the new program may work very well once implemented though.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

The new program sounds very workable.

I was a numbered collector for about 5 1/2 years. Loved getting the knives, but struggled with the concept of not getting any new blades for several months and then getting several collector knives at once and a whopping bill to go with them. Ratability would have been nice. I'd still be in, but my financial situation got tight. Love the knives .... :) :spyder:

I also struggled with being way down the list timewise on getting new models. I'd have been reading about guys chatting and reviewing the new Spydies for weeks before my numbered collector model showed up (at times it was 2 plus months after general market release). Sounds like the new program will fix this ??

I'd already opted out of the collector club prior to this year's Forum Native offering, but WOW ... I sure would have liked to have seen that handled a bit differently. Thanks to another forumite, I've managed to secure a couple of the new Natives and am in good shape now, but as a former numbered collector, etc .... I wasn't very happy about being locked out of the factory offering simply because I was traveling .... In the past we were given a period of time to order and pre-pay for Spyderco Forum knives. An 8 hour window isn't very long, particulary if like in my case, I can't access this site from my work computer due to internet filters my firm utilizes regarding weapons, etc..

Anyway ... my 2 cents
Steve
Steve
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Thanks for asking about what knives will ship on the current program. I am on the road and flying tomorrow so I am going from memory here. I believe there are about five or six items including the Spyderhawk and G-10 Dragonfly that will ship on the current program in October. I can confirm that next week when I get back in the office.
Kelly
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Thanks for the response Kelly.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Hi Stevie Ray,
The new program will have collector knives ship immediately when they are ready, we will not be holding knives like we've done in the past.

I'm sorry about the issues we've had with the last forum knife - we're already having discussions on how to handle that and other limited runs in the future and we'll try to correct the problems and learn from our experiences here.

Thanks!
Kelly
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

i wish i had a higher paying job so i could join but i don't wanna sign a contract with my current pay rate maybe i should take a different job my company has been offering me so i can feed my addiction is there anyway i could just sign up for sprints and variations only bad thing about that new position is i might be in and out the country but the pay would be immense compared to what i'm getting now
sal

Post by sal »

Sounds like we're making some progress.

I'd like to thank Deacon for the "heads up".
I'd like to thank everyone for all of their input.
I'd like to thank Kelly for working up the program, and I apologise for the sleep she missed. I know she worked really hard on this.

I hope this works out better for everyone concerened.

In defense of our engraving and the need for a "part time engraver", I disagree. Our engraver, Mike, happens to be exceptional in his abilities and efforts. He brings work home and if he's ever backed up, it's not for long. Someone mentioned that we only have one engraver. That's true, but he's dedicated and gets the job done.

We only have one CFO, one Sales Manager, Our entire marketing department is Joyce. (Yes, she handles all ads, the catalogs, and all Public Relations). We have one manufacturing manager, one engineer, one prototype maker, etc.

We have quite a few "one's", but they are all very special "one's" and work like 5.

In defense of our "system"; we have constantly revised the system as a result of complaints and suggestions from our collectors. Often the issue was "I can't afford all of the models". We understand that. It would be very difficult for someone to try to purchase all of the models and variations.

Most of the delays to collectors was the result of the payment problem more than others.

Your kind understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

sal
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

The new club sounds great, can't wait for it to get rolling!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for listening Sal and kudos to Kelly for her efforts on this. I sincerely hope this new format works out better for Spyderco, those interested in collecting them, and the dealers who handle the accounts. My first impression is that it should. While no manageable format could ever please everyone, I think the new levels and the change from serrated to plain for the main piece will increase interest in the club. I know I am very pleased with it, my new contract form was mailed out yesterday.

PERHAPS WORTH NOTING:

I WOULD SUGGEST ANY CURRENT COLLECTORS CLUB MEMBER WHO HAS NOT RECEIVED THE NEW CONTRACT BY EMAIL CONTACT SPYDERCO ASAP. YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION MAY NOT BE CURRENT OR ACCURATE.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bigboned

Re: Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Post by bigboned »

Yay an 11 year resurrection ! Is the club still going? Is this still the format? Is it working?
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK