My Latest Blasphemy: Sharpmaker Reprofiling Mod

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

My Latest Blasphemy: Sharpmaker Reprofiling Mod

Post by uhiforgot »

There was a sad time recently that I had to take my Lava out of rotation because I dulled it too far to recover without sitting down for 3 hours or more to reprofile it. Needless to say I haven't got that kind of time with my biggest projects all coming together at once for my final quarter in school. So over a few rather irate weeks I developed a mod for my sharpmaker, and a few days ago assembled it. This entailed $20 for a DMT extra coarse stone, a couple of command adhesive strips, and a broken stone from my old sharpmaker I once loaned out. I was able to reprofile, resharpen, and revive my Lava entirely in about 20 minutes. It was a happy day, and the thrill is still with me even now :D
ImageImageImage
I have yet to find out how to build this modification into something usable for hawkbill edges, but I have my Lava back with an insanely scary-sharp edge. That's what I REALLY wanted :cool:

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i am sure you came up with the idea yourself but it has been done before...not so much with gluing but rubberbands. i believe it was ghostrider. he showed some pics of doing it with stones rubberbanded onto the sharpmaker stones. i used some old files. with the files you can do serrated edges. find some old ones (kind of fine) and try it. i used it on our steak knives that hadnt been sharpened in 10 yrs and they cam back nicely.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

tonydahose wrote:i am sure you came up with the idea yourself but it has been done before...not so much with gluing but rubberbands. i believe it was ghostrider.
This I do remember, but I was trying to get around using gumbands as I didn't know how well they'd hold something like this, and the potential for cutting them off accidentally is a bit too much. The file idea crossed my mind as well but I couldn't find a file with a fine enough grit. Also a while ago somebody wrapped some emery cloth around very small dowels, but I didn't feel like going into such depth.

Indeed this idea has predecessors I should have credited, and will do so in a bit. I'll see about linking the other threads later in the day.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

uhiforgot wrote:... Also a while ago somebody wrapped some emery cloth around very small dowels....
Good job Jeff.... this round dowel approach will probably be "the ticket" for tuning up your hawkbills... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

[quote="jaislandboy"]Good job Jeff.... this round dowel approach will probably be "the ticket" for tuning up your hawkbills... ]Now that I go back and read a bit more, it seems you're right...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24938
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16689

I could've sworn there were more threads than this, but these were the only ones I could find...

spydo

Post by spydo »

For what is worth I like your approach the most. Put it in some nice package and I would buy one :)
Great job!
Avatar in support of my favorite designer! CLB rocks!!!!
fede

Post by fede »

uhiforgot wrote:There was a sad time recently that I had to take my Lava out of rotation because I dulled it too far to recover without sitting down for 3 hours or more to reprofile it. Needless to say I haven't got that kind of time with my biggest projects all coming together at once for my final quarter in school. So over a few rather irate weeks I developed a mod for my sharpmaker, and a few days ago assembled it. This entailed $20 for a DMT extra coarse stone, a couple of command adhesive strips, and a broken stone from my old sharpmaker I once loaned out. I was able to reprofile, resharpen, and revive my Lava entirely in about 20 minutes. It was a happy day, and the thrill is still with me even now :D
ImageImageImage
I have yet to find out how to build this modification into something usable for hawkbill edges, but I have my Lava back with an insanely scary-sharp edge. That's what I REALLY wanted :cool:
I just ordered a DMT 4'' X-Coarse stone to try your "blasphemy"... When it arrives I'll let you know! My training ground is my zdp Delica, so it'll be a really hard test!...
f.
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

Blasphemy x 2!:

Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Question: sharpmaker diamond rods - would these work? If not, why not - not coarse enough??
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!