2009 Forum Knife Go LIVE Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

I can't believe I missed out! Oh well looks like I will save the funds for the next mule... what ever it may be.

I am glad to see it sold in 8 hours. Is that a record for a sell out?
philthygeezer

Post by philthygeezer »

Bummer. Checked in after a month or two away and found out I'm a day late. :(

Maybe some of the orders will fall through and I'll get a second chance.
rathomps

Post by rathomps »

Wow! Pretty disappointed, been watching for this quite a while. Missed out as I was out of town over the extended weekend. Maybe it would have been a bit more fair to limit purchases to just one knowing they were going to go that fast. Feeding frenzies always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Post by 5.56 »

Where did all the Forum Knives go?

How on earth did 300+ Natives sell in 8 hours?
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

It were closer to 200, since the first count of "remaining" Natives was 170, and that was within two minutes after they went online. About 100 will be reserved for CC, and MAYBE even some were kept as reserve for warranty replacements. I bet there even was one or two members of the Spyderco crew that bought one for him/herself.

But even then, it was amazing to see the speed they were sold. You can retrace that by reviewing the posts containing the amount of remaining knives and comparing it to the posting time.

Dennis
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Like i said yesterday in 3D of naticve forum in ebay,i dont had money for buy a go live, and during past night i was think to buy or not one piece, because here are really bad times and no money for nothing...But this morning i had the bad surprise to see out of stock so i loose the native forum,yes its really sad but in this world we cant have all...
Maybe one day i will find possibility to score one 2009 or another forum knife, the only think really i dont like its who speculated on the skin of lovers and collectors only for sell any pieces, really bad, probably in future want be better if spyderco push a buy limit like 2 pieces..
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

westfork wrote:I purchased some extra forum knives for friends who really appreciate Spyderco quality. I think they may be just as happy with the Manix2. I would like to let two forum knives go at cost to two forum members who did not receive any and who did not air too many sour grapes about it on this forum. However, I do not want to be flooded with pm's and emails.
Maybe there are others who would like to do the same with an extra knife they really don't "need" and we could work out an organized system of distributing these to forum members who were unable to get a single forum knife to keep.
Any thoughts?
Lloyd
Great idea! Sign me up on the list to purchase one! :) :)
westfork

Post by westfork »

buccilli15 wrote:Great idea! Sign me up on the list to purchase one! :) :)
I just received a call from Spyderco. I had left messages this morning to see if they could hold up the two knives on their end and release them to others. It would be impossible for me to decide who should get these. They will throw them back in the pot and sell to the next ones on the unfilled order list. I asked, if possible, that they go to forum members who hadn't already purchased any. Please, nobody go mobbing the Spyderco Store for these as they already had the names on the list - I don't want to create a headache for them.
Lloyd
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

westfork wrote:I just received a call from Spyderco. I had left messages this morning to see if they could hold up the two knives on their end and release them to others. It would be impossible for me to decide who should get these. They will throw them back in the pot and sell to the next ones on the unfilled order list. I asked, if possible, that they go to forum members who hadn't already purchased any. Please, nobody go mobbing the Spyderco Store for these as they already had the names on the list - I don't want to create a headache for them.
Lloyd
Props to you, sir!!
I'm on the list; I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Whow, I didn't realize they were so deeply and intensively involved in the whole thing :eek:

To see they will invest thought and time even for such a small amount like 2 or 3 knives, and are actually having a list of forum members that didn't get one... I am amazed. Once more, that is.

Maybe there are even more members willing to restrict themselves to just two Natives and give back the rest (as many as it will be). That would help to some extent.

I wonder if they are about to develop an even more sophisticated plan to make each end every forum member happy in the end... that wouldn't suprise me any more. I'd be glad though because I think the whole ebay thing just tended to devalue the great experience of this Forum knife a little bit. Not much, but just a little. That shouldn't be the case. Remember Spyderco made this knife to honor our great community, not to create any discord between us. We should respect that. I know I do.

Dennis
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

rathomps wrote:Wow! Pretty disappointed, been watching for this quite a while. Missed out as I was out of town over the extended weekend. Maybe it would have been a bit more fair to limit purchases to just one knowing they were going to go that fast. Feeding frenzies always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Our apologies for the disappointment. To be honest, we had no idea that these would go so fast. We only have past forum knives to make our best guess. The last truly custom forum knife (prior to the USN Endura) was a similar run and over 50% of the knives had to be closed out at deeply discounted prices. Hence our hesitation.

I watched the numbers for a bit yesterday, to say we were surprised is an understatement.

We will certainly do our best to learn from this experience. I have to say though, overall, I think it was pretty smooth.

Thanks again for everyone's interest and support. Not just for the C41PPR, but for Spyderco.

We appreciate all of you.
westfork wrote:I just received a call from Spyderco. I had left messages this morning to see if they could hold up the two knives on their end and release them to others. It would be impossible for me to decide who should get these. They will throw them back in the pot and sell to the next ones on the unfilled order list. I asked, if possible, that they go to forum members who hadn't already purchased any. Please, nobody go mobbing the Spyderco Store for these as they already had the names on the list - I don't want to create a headache for them.
Lloyd
Lloyd,
Your gesture (and similar gestures from others) are part of what make this place as special as it is. Thank you!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I just want to say that I'm not disappointed with Spyderco at all, and apologize if it came across that way. If anything, it's good to know that the forum knives sold so well, because I seem to remember Sal mentioning before that they almost always ended up with unsold stock with the previous runs. Hopefully this means that there will be more frequent runs in the future. Congrats to the Spyderco team for making it happen.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Kristi,

First, thanks for all the fun that the anticipation of this knife has provided. You did a great job of leading this project.

Second, while I think there are a number of factors that made the demand for this forum knife a big surprise, I wonder if you can look at statistics for the number of members visiting Spyderco.com in the 3 or 6 months prior to release of the last few forum knives in order to see if there is a correlation. If there isn't a big increase in the number of member visits compared to past forum knives then there is probably no simple model to predict demand.

Greg
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

TazKristi wrote:The last truly custom forum knife (prior to the USN Endura) was a similar run and over 50% of the knives had to be closed out at deeply discounted prices. Hence our hesitation.

Kristi
Can you share what custom run it was?

Just my 2 cents, but maybe that is why more were purchased this run. The 2000 Military was awesome and even the Centofante, but the other versions that were all stainless and only labeled "forum knife" didn't do it for me. This model was the first "something different" I've seen in a while and priced really well. Maybe a 10 year forum anniversary knife in a C36 Military or even a ParaMilitary is in order for renewed intest.
...oh you know why!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

TazKristi wrote:Our apologies for the disappointment. To be honest, we had no idea that these would go so fast. We only have past forum knives to make our best guess. The last truly custom forum knife (prior to the USN Endura) was a similar run and over 50% of the knives had to be closed out at deeply discounted prices. Hence our hesitation.

I watched the numbers for a bit yesterday, to say we were surprised is an understatement.

We will certainly do our best to learn from this experience. I have to say though, overall, I think it was pretty smooth.

Thanks again for everyone's interest and support. Not just for the C41PPR, but for Spyderco.

We appreciate all of you.

Lloyd,
Your gesture (and similar gestures from others) are part of what make this place as special as it is. Thank you!

Kristi
.....you did the best you could, and that's enough. That you took the time to respond to our requests to produce a forum knife, make it happen, and coordinate sales is much appreciated by everyone !

PS Sorry our Seahawks beat your Broncos in pre-season. :D I miss those days when we were in the same conference together. We had some great rivalries back then....didn't we ? ( he says shaking his fist as he recalls those last minute heroics by Elway against the Seattle defense. ;) ).
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

Got shipping confirmation as well. I feel lucky to have been a part of this offering for my first forum knife! Hopefully it will be the first of many, many more.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I must say, I feel very fortunate, as I only joined the forum a few days ago. I bought my first Spyderco knife around 20+ years ago I think, but I never knew there was a forum!

I lost track of my first two Spydercos (they are in a box with a bunch of my other knives, *somewhere* in this house I hope). I got my confirmation email that my knife shipped, so I'll be happy to be carrying a Spyderco again. I'll be picking up a Ladybug also, shouldn't have to ever be without a knife again unless going to the airport/courthouse etc.

Rodney
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

demtek9 wrote:Can you share what custom run it was?

Just my 2 cents, but maybe that is why more were purchased this run. The 2000 Military was awesome and even the Centofante, but the other versions that were all stainless and only labeled "forum knife" didn't do it for me. This model was the first "something different" I've seen in a while and priced really well. Maybe a 10 year forum anniversary knife in a C36 Military or even a ParaMilitary is in order for renewed intest.
I believe there were several. The last, and possibly worst, was the 2003 Spyderco Forum Native III. But IIRC, Spyderco took a beating on the BladeForums Spyderco Forum Spyderhawk of the same year and the 2001 BladeForums G-10 Native as well.

In the past, folks blamed all three of those on the choice of color, so either purple has more of a following than blue, or some other factor, or more likely factors, were at work. I'm inclined to think it was a mix of a number of things including, but not limited to, these:
  • the C41 Native is a popular model
  • it had never been offered before in full flat grind
  • full flat grind is currently very popular among the forumites
  • the full coverage spiderweb engraving :cool:
  • more folks online, and online more, than there were in prior years
  • longer period between announcement and release - more chance for folks to find out about it
  • the economy, more folks looking for ways to make a few bucks
  • the economy, folks thinking "I really can't afford one, but if I buy 3 and sell 2, I'll have one for free"
I also think selective memory came into play, same as it does with gamblers. Folks remembered the handful of USN Enduras that went for big buck on eBay and convinced themselves that they'd be the one to hit it big on this one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pyrguy

Post by pyrguy »

Dang, I go to a job interview and this happens.

I am both sorry and glad that the run sold out. This means I'll have to start looking for one when the cash is in my pocket. But this is the only missing forum knife in my collection. :(

Congrats to the Spyderco crew on another knife for us knuts.

Thank you Sal.
There's a fine line between "It's a hobby" and mental illness.
hoshyoto

Post by hoshyoto »

The Deacon wrote:I believe there were several. The last, and possibly worst, was the 2003 Spyderco Forum Native III. But IIRC, Spyderco took a beating on the BladeForums Spyderco Forum Spyderhawk of the same year and the 2001 BladeForums G-10 Native as well.

In the past, folks blamed all three of those on the choice of color, so either purple has more of a following than blue, or some other factor, or more likely factors, were at work. I'm inclined to think it was a mix of a number of things including, but not limited to, these:
  • :
    :
  • the full coverage spiderweb engraving :cool:
    :
    :
I also think selective memory came into play, same as it does with gamblers. Folks remembered the handful of USN Enduras that went for big buck on eBay and convinced themselves that they'd be the one to hit it big on this one.
Personally, the spiderweb engraving is what kept me from buying this knife. I was actually in the confirmation portion of the purchase process and just couldn't do it because I didn't care for the web covering the entire blade. After seeing how many people didn't get the opportunity to buy their knife I'm glad that I wound up passing. I would feel awful if I had bought a knife that I was relatively ambivalent towards while someone who greatly desired it missed out.

Now onto more pressing things, like brainstorming ideas for the 2010 knife :D . I vote for a Dodo. Perhaps in H1 or ZDP-189? Maybe with a spiderweb emanating from the Spydie hole across the corner of the blade? I'll take any color. Thoughts?

Jeff