Knife for a military deployment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would you take to "the desert"?

Endura Wave CE
3%
Endura ZDP CE
3%
Military CE
56%
Other
37%

Total votes: 86

Scottie3000

Knife for a military deployment

Post by Scottie3000 »

I'm preparing myself for a deployment "over there". Help me decide which knife to take with me. I'm taking a Cold Steel Recon Tanto Fixed blade as my big fixed blade. I'm leaning towards a combo edge folder because while I plan to take my sharpmaker, I don't anticipate having a lot of free time to spend sharpening. What would you (or did you for all you other military folks) take with you?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you already have a big fixed blade, I'd suggest that if you can wait another week or so, you get the FRN/ZDP-189 Stretch II in CE.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Out of those I vote for the Military.

Canis

p.s. Thank You for serving. Stay safe.
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Millie all the way (geez, that's exactly what it was designed for!!!), but PE, since you are the first to admit that sharpenning will have to be fast. An occasional touch up on a ceramic pocket stick, and a quick strop on your BDUs, piece of leather or cardboard after every use should be more than enough. I'm guessing the fixed blade will do all the hard-core dirty jobs.

Hey, and good luck! Take care out there.
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

As someone how has been "over there", I would without a doubt get a Pacific Salt in probably yellow, and probably two of them - one in PE one in SE. You can get two of these for around the same price as one Military or even less.

It is fairly warm "over there" and I usually completely soaked my folder in sweat every day while outside the wire - so expect it to get pretty spot rusted regardless of the steel, especially in the internal areas. I took a pretty nice folder and it was trashed from both heavy use and rusted internals. I was actually trying to take pretty good care of it by oiling it and cleaning the rust spots off as best I could - but the environment won. Of course the H1 steel in the Salt knives will eliminate the rust issues.

I would probably get it in yellow even though it is not exactly "tactical". It is a lot easier to find in the dark when you cannot use a flashlight to find it due to light discipline issues. It is going to be in your pocket and is not likely to be visible anyways.

If you only buy one knife, I would go with a complete spyderedge blade regardless of the model you choose. Nothing cuts better through webgear or clothing which is very important in my opinion. If you buy two, I would take a plain and spyderedge - one in each front pants pocket. If you have a sharpmaker you will be able to maintain either with no issues.
DeltaWhiskey

Para went with me twice so far.

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

+1 on the ZDP Stretch...fine choice...

Just me..as stated you have a fixed blade....get a medium sized blade for easy pocket carry when not wearing the battle rattle.

I would suggest a less expensive FRN H1 model also.
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
noodlefish

Post by noodlefish »

dirtpig67 wrote:As someone how has been "over there", I would without a doubt get a Pacific Salt in probably yellow, and probably two of them - one in PE one in SE. You can get two of these for around the same price as one Military or even less.

It is fairly warm "over there" and I usually completely soaked my folder in sweat every day while outside the wire - so expect it to get pretty spot rusted regardless of the steel, especially in the internal areas. I took a pretty nice folder and it was trashed from both heavy use and rusted internals. I was actually trying to take pretty good care of it by oiling it and cleaning the rust spots off as best I could - but the environment won. Of course the H1 steel in the Salt knives will eliminate the rust issues.

I would probably get it in yellow even though it is not exactly "tactical". It is a lot easier to find in the dark when you cannot use a flashlight to find it due to light discipline issues. It is going to be in your pocket and is not likely to be visible anyways.

If you only buy one knife, I would go with a complete spyderedge blade regardless of the model you choose. Nothing cuts better through webgear or clothing which is very important in my opinion. If you buy two, I would take a plain and spyderedge - one in each front pants pocket. If you have a sharpmaker you will be able to maintain either with no issues.
i agree with this

thank you so much for serving
ORANGE DODO NICEEEEEE

I listen to psychobilly, you should too!
Noble

Post by Noble »

I also think you should get the Pac Salt. Im sorry it wasnt one of your voting options, but as someone looking out for the person looking out for ME....I would say Get H1. All the other knives are fine and dandy, true, but they will all rust in that sweaty, humid & arrid environment. But the H1 will not. Its a great folder to have. SE might I also suggest. Seriously, here in hawaii, its humid. Were talking high 90% humid somedays. On top of that, i take my pac salt IN the ocean with me. No signs of her blade failing me yet in the rust department. Think of how dissapointed youd be if your folder started to freeze up or begin rusting on you in the field. Not a good thing IMHO. Dont get me wrong, my Millie is still my numeral uno when it comes to everyday, but It does take alot of consious effort on my part to keep her cherry. My pac salt just needs a rinse in fresh water and shes good to go.

Anyway, just my .02

Thank you for serving your country mate,

Donovan.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Full SE for man made materials like nylon webgear, cloth, ect. The way to go bar none, especially as a compliment to a PE fixed blade.

Endura Wave SE is fast, fun, and cuts very smoothly without snagging.

Millie owns always in terms of cutting performance, but have never used one in SE.

Pac Salt is very KISS, totally idiot proof.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

No advise on the knife but I appreciate your services. Stay safe.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Being active duty military and having been on humanitarian relief efforts and field training exercises, if I had to go with Spyderco folders only, I'd go with...

Primary Folder: A Spyderco Military PE, preferably in the high grade stainless steels (CPM S30V or BF 42), or a full-size, original Spyderco Manix PE (CPM S30V). The Spyderco Manix 2 PE (either 154CM or CPM S90V) would suffice if you can't get a full-size Manix. I, personally, wouldn't go with anything smaller than a Spyderco Para-Military PE in CPM S30V as my main folder. These :spyder: s offer you practical lengths for a large folder as well as durability and reliability. I've carried the Military, Manix, and Para-Military in very hot, humid conditions in the LRP of my BDUs where the blades would become heavily beaded in sweat and the G-10 handles soaked. I'd simply wipe down the blades occasionally and allow the knives to air out in the open when I went to bed. So far, no rust issues.

Secondary Folders: The Spyderco Delica 4 FRN (or any of the Delica models), VG-10, in both PE and SE. This gives you a smaller PE blade to work with as well as a SE blade should you need it. The Delica's size and FRN handles makes it very practical in carry and expense to EDC in both PE and SE. Your BDUs, ABUs, ACUs, etc., has plenty of pockets for storing something the size of a Delica. Again, occasionally wipe the sweat from the blade and let it air out when possible.

I advocate more for PE in real world contingency situations due to the ease of sharpening no matter what your method of putting on an edge. I also push for a knife dedicated to one thing, hence the recommendation for the Delica in both PE and SE. The Delica SE should take care of your serrated blade needs. If you have to go with a CE edge configuration, fine... I feel you'd be better served keeping it simple and having one PE blade and one SE blade.

Again, my above recommendations work for me when I've had to go out into "the field." Ultimately, consider having a primary folder (preferably PE for ease of sharpening and of a good quality stainless steel) and two secondary folders (one PE and one SE, small, easy to carry, and of a quality stainless steel). CPM D2 would be a good choice, but you may potentially run into rust issues. If rust is not a concern for you, go for it.

Hope this helps. Take care over there!
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I'm not going "over there", but I want to get the H1 Warrior for my brother who will be. As for a folder, the Millie with its easy rinse, open construction seems ideal.

Sal - How about an H1 Millie and/or Para?

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

Manix2 full SE
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

dirtpig67 wrote:As someone how has been "over there", I would without a doubt get a Pacific Salt in probably yellow, and probably two of them - one in PE one in SE. You can get two of these for around the same price as one Military or even less.

Quoted for a lot of good points.

If you can carry 2 knives I would suggest one of them be a fully serrated H1 steel folder & the other plain edged (your CS Tanto fits the bill). I carried a fully serrated Remote Release on my LBV strap when I was in. As a Medic in an Air Assault unit (2/187 Inf) I wanted something quickly accessible that could cut webbing & sling-loaded gear fast. At the same time I needed a plain-edge for smooth cuts so I had another folder in my pocket.

Never deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan, but H1 steel would be a good low-maintenance choice. If nothing else, it's one less thing to have to worry about cleaning.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

In your poll, I voted for the combo edge Military. I however would follow the lead of the folks who have already been over there. Pacific Salt in PE and in SE sounds like a good plan to me.

Please be safe, and as others have written, thank you for your service!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iyn

Post by iyn »

I agree with dirtpig67. i'm not in the military or law enforcement, but find a folder that fits your hand and then buy 2 of them. "One is none, two is one, three is better."

and thank you scottie3000, we appreciate your service to your country.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I didn't go "over there" while I was in, but I was in the Army 10 yrs and the Military Full Serrated was my choice for a pocket folder for office or field. The SE will cut much longer than the PE without a sharpening and even when its not that sharp....its still very sharp in the recessed areas. Its not nessisarily a "fighting knife" but a great cutting blade and the right size.

God forbid you get that close enough to need a folder that you can bet your life on the lock. But it that is your worry, then look at a large frame lock or lockback like the ZDP-189 SE Endura you can find on ebay. When Mr Janich would teach the MBC classes, he'd use a delica or endura and they are plenty strong.
...oh you know why!
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I was over there from '05-'06, back before a lot of these nice new knives came out. But I've given this some thought and, honestly, if I could do it again here is how I would have my setup...

1) SE Saver Salt- Just in case you have to cut through boots, shirts, or anything else that's close to someone's body. This could just be the combat medic in me, but it's just always good to be well prepared while your over there. You could also just use a pair of medic scissors, but there just not as fun. ;)

Now, as for your main EDC, I have a couple suggestions (in order of preference):

1) As for your main EDC I would seriously look into the FB21 Caspian Salt. The advantage of being able to use that hand by puting your finger through the hole in the handle seems like an extremely usful feature. Besides that, it's H1 steel, it frees up your pockets, and the webbing attachment probably hooks up to your gear pretty nicely.

2) Military- If you wanted to go with the Military I'm wondering if the Black Blade version would be more corrosion resistant? If there is anyone that knows a little bit more about that please feel free to chime in... but I had a CRKT M16SF with a black coated ti blade and that held up pretty well.

3) Yellow SE Pacific Salt- some people carried around big 6 inch+ fixed blades over there, but they also never used them. The Pacific I think would be more than enough knife. And the H1 is a really great idea when you're sweating liters of water a day.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I chose those three choices because I happen to have those on hand. I still have some time and two pacific salts sounds like a good idea too.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I would take a simple FRN Delica CE or CE Native...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*