OMG..Got a free Urban..What are the odds!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Post by 5.56 »

I would return it at the sellers expense.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

STi wrote:I will send them an Email...I doubt they will ask for it back and pay shipping..I don't really see the point but will do it!
You chose the honorable and right way. The only thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that you should always do to others what you would like others to do to you. And remember, not all business- owners pay their employees crap and have a large net return on sales. There's very hard competition in the knifebusiness and a lot of kniferetailers are people like you with a serious interest in knives which they try to make a living out of.
And, at the end of the day you will know YOU did the right thing. Sometimes that's all it takes. You chose to leave a shiny footprint.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Ask yourself this: if they had accidentally charged you twice for one knife, would you have had the same "oh, well" reaction as you did when they accidentally gave you two knives for the price of one?

Most people would be quite upset in the first scenario, but quite pleased with the second. It seems to be quite a double standard.
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

Do the right thing. You will feel good in the end.

My wife bought a few Spydercos as wedding gifts at the SFO this past spring. The employee who helped her with the purchase made an error and only charged her about half the price. She could easily have walked away but she made the effort to return to the store and alert them to the error. They charged her the full price, but she felt good about the transaction.

Just because you are dealing with some anonymous Internet dealer doesn't make it any different.

Alert them and maybe you will get lucky.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I had an online business with a website, shopping cart, etc. It was always a pleasure to work my *** off to make $2 an order sometimes.

There are some people out there just trying to support their family with a second job. Ebay shops aren't always the success stories you hear on those "get rich quick" infomercials.

I hope all works out well. It will be confusing/frustrating for all parties :(
Tank

Post by Tank »

TooSharp wrote:I would contact the seller and notify them of their mistake.
+1 on that. It's the right thing to do.
-John
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

STi wrote:Nope, I triple checked.

I consider it luck not dishonest as i didn't make the mistake or steal it!
I agree, you didn't steal it or make the mistake. You would be within your rights to keep it, give it away, or sell it to defray the cost of your purchase. Or you could contact the seller to let them know of their mistake. While the latter has no material benefits, it has moral & spiritual ones.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

These things happen sometimes. I had an extra computer sent to me at work one time. I ended up emailing the seller, who wasn't all that interested ... (The computer was one of a block 10 of used machines).

Guy said he'd contact me and tell me where to send it. He never did.

Anyway, good for you for being honest about it. You did the right thing.
MLR

Post by MLR »

from a criminological standpoint, its very common for thieves to rationalize that what they are stealing somehow belongs to them. your logic is following this path. look man, you are holding property that isn't yours. you have a duty to keep it safe and in the same condition as you found it, and return it upon the owner's demand. the owner should bear the cost of this since you have it involuntarily. intentionally using it as your own or giving it away to another is a crime. of course you will not get caught but its a slippery slope my friend... do the right thing.
phaust

Post by phaust »

MLR wrote:you have a duty to keep it safe and in the same condition as you found it, and return it upon the owner's demand.
First of all, check post 11, quoted here for reference. He said he would indeed if asked, just like you say:
STi wrote:LMAO, I'm not offering it back! They have my Contact info and if they asked i would..but i'm not initiating anything. :D

Some of these posts are a bit over the top, lol. It's a $75 knife, not some dying kid's kidney.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I ordered 1' of D2 steel from an online seller and they sent me 3'. I called them and they sent me a UPS tag to send back the 3' and shipped me a 1' bar so I would not have to cut the bar myself. It could not have been much savings to do that much shipping but that's what they chose to do.

I was very pleased to read that STi was going to drop them an email. I give you Kudos for making that choice. I know it was not the "fun" choice.

Best wishes,

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Integrity, some have it; others ??? Mine is worth more than a $75 knife.
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MLR

Post by MLR »

phaust wrote:First of all, check post 11, quoted here for reference. He said he would indeed if asked, just like you say:
Well there's a difference between returning it and returning it unused.

Just think: what if this knife store that shipped the Urban in error was the Spyderco Factory Outlet? All the excuses are too cute. Just do the right thing.
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I LOVE bigkahunasix's response. What price do you put on your integrity? We each have to answer that.

I am curious what the buyer's response would have been if the seller was the SFO? Just a thought
angusW

Post by angusW »

Sounds like one of the employees made a labeling mistake and sent it to you instead. Mistakes happen. If you left your wallet somewhere would you... A) be happy the guy gifted your wallet to billybob because you make good money and rip off people or B) be grateful someone was kind and honest to give your wallet back to you even though it was your mistake.

Dude, what are you, 5? Do you really need a talk about integrity at this stage in the game?
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Time to give this thread the lockaroo...it's his decision ultimately.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would also notify the seller. I don't know where you bought it, but many web dealers are small/family businesses. They will appreciate your honesty, especially in the current economy. What goes around comes around.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

I would give it back to the seller
Wavester

Post by Wavester »

TooSharp wrote:I would contact the seller and notify them of their mistake.
Same here...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

woohoo I got a free knife...Yay!!! Grow up!!!!!...it's people like you that makes everyone else pay in the long run....Sorry If I seem harsh but I meant it to be...What is yours is yours and what's not.... isn't....That knife is not yours and never will be!....even if you gift it to billybob...it's not yours to gift. Period! It's not the stealing, or the dishonestly that bothers me, it's your caviler attitude about cheating someone else...even if its not your doing...I'm with David Lowery on this one, I won't have any dealings with you!......I'm ashamed to have you as a fellow forum member....Others here have said it nicely....I don't feel like being nice today...I won't tell you what to do, cause you have already made up your mind what to do....something I certainly wouldn't be proud to post on this forum.... Doc :o
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*