Persistence review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Persistence review

Post by araneae »

I received my Persistence today so I thought I'd give an initial review.

Aesthetics: Finish is a bit below what I expected. Liners were less polished then either Tenacious I own. The edges of the liners are a bit sharp in comparison to the Tenacious. They could stand a little buffing, this would eliminate both issues. G-10 is excellent and grippy.

Blade: Was shaving sharp but a bit off center when closed. It does not rub the liner. Both of my Tenacious center nicely.

Clip: I have the same issue others have had. The screws seem firmly lodged in place and I am afraid that they will strip if I apply more force. I tried heating them as well. A T6 bit fits, but has some free play. An H1.5 bit has similar results. It's hard to say which bit fits best. I will probably try again later as I want it tip up.

Overall: I like the size. Big handle relative to the blade, but it makes for an easier to work with knife in my opinion. I like the fact that there's the slightest bit of a kicker at the tang. It makes it harder for the blade to bite your thumb when closing the knife. The Persistence is a real value for about $30, but seeing as the Tenacious is just a few bucks more I don't think there should be a disparity in the finish between the two. Fix the clip screw issues & keep an eye on the QC and this one is another winner.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
angusW

Post by angusW »

The Persistence is a neat knife. For the clip screws use a 1/16" Allen. Metric is a bit too small.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Before I buy anything I read forum reviews.

The problem with most of them is they are rarely balanced. On a 1-10 scale, reviewers tend towards either extreame..there's rarely anything in between.

This wasn't one of those.

Nice review, practical obsevations not toadying and not flaming.
Thanx.

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the cool review.
I dont find Tenacious nor Persistence be the targeting product for me, but I believe a LOT OF people will be happy about these.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Does anyone have some pics of the Tenacious and the Persistence together? I have seen pics of each, but would like to be able to compare them size-wise.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
araneae

Post by araneae »

bohica1998 wrote:Does anyone have some pics of the Tenacious and the Persistence together? I have seen pics of each, but would like to be able to compare them size-wise.
I'll try to get some up tonight.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger »

Tecun

Post by Tecun »

I really appreciate this review. I have been looking at getting a Persistence but wanted to wait until I heard the reviews--you know, the old penguin effect. All the penguins line up and push until one falls in. If that one gets eaten, the rest take off. If it doesn't, they all jump in after. Thanks for being the first penguin.