Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Post by The Deacon »

I was tempted to post this in reply to an observation my buddy Jano, to whom I've promised my numbered regular Manix 2, made in Eric's thread on the CF version, but did not want to sidetrack that thread, or rain on Eric's parade.

The question in this thread's title is one I've been asking myself for quite a while. To the more paranoid, conspiracy theory loving, part of my brain it almost appears Spyderco is trying to make the Collectors Club so unappealing everyone will just quit. The more rational side of me is sure that's not the case. But whatever the actual reasons, between the long delays and the Pilots doing an end run around the Club, the sad fact is that there's precious little reason left for anyone to stick with it.

One of the big attractions, if not THE big attraction, of the Club was getting the new stuff immediately. I know Spyderco never guaranteed that, but the implication always was there and I think it's naive to think the folks who joined the club had no expectations in that regard. Aside from the ego boost, there was the practical benefit to that. It allowed those who could not afford to keep all their knives to have a reasonably chance of selling those they needed to sell quickly, without taking too much of a beating.

I know, from conversations with a couple other club members, that I'm not the only one who feels this way, but perhaps those of us who do are a small minority. So I'd be most interested in hearing what other members think.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

Thanks Paul, appreciate that much :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Hi Paul, sorry to hear of your frustrations with the CC. Never joined myself. While I have quite a few Spydies owning every one was never a goal and the whole selling off the ones I don't want thing never appealed. I have considered it a few times though...

Anyway, to your point.... My only thought (and one you would surely know better than I) is I have this concept that there were a few "issues" with released knives over the last several years that were, in typical Spyderco fashion, quickly resolved. The shipped stock was recalled and replaced, as were ELU knives. But the CC, getting ALL of the first run, ALL got knives with the "issue" making those in the 'elite club' victims of their place at the head of the line. It's possible that Sal feels shipping new knives later, so that they have a chance to catch anything like this, is actually better serving this special community. I doubt that shipping knives early so you have a better chance of selling them plays very highly in his criteria. But please understand, this is all just guessing.

I know a couple times I've also heard they take the CC knives offline for engraving and let the rest of the knives flow so it could be as simple as that.

Either way, I would think that nurturing the CC members would be a higher priority than it seems to be....

Again, sorry for your frustrations....

Ken
玉鋼
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I also noticed the "change" in collector club timing. Plus, the special "cachet" of having a series of numbered knives has worn off after seeing at least two such collections sit "on the bay" for quite a while without being sold. An added disadvantage for me is that it stops me from shopping around as new knives come out to see where the best price is offered. My usual dealer usually has a fair price, so that is not a huge issue, but still it does limit my choice. Unlike others, I do not sell off knives so I have some that I really do not want terribly much. I think that this year I will have to decide to sell some knives as they come out if I want to stay in the club. Anyway, I have a Terzuola already, but I am still waiting for my numbered one. That is a knife I intend to keep.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I thought about joining the CC myself but was discouraged by the serrations. I think they appeal to hardcore Spyderco collectors, but many new customers like me have no interest in them. Now what really makes me mad is seeing those CC-numbered Spydies being advertised on eBay as "one of only 200". I think at this stage it would be better for Spyderco to drop the CC and start individually numbering their sprint runs.
And maybe a CC for those more hard to get sprint runs would be a good idea...
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Not a bad idea LorenzoL. I would be interested in getting numbered Sprint run knives; i.e. limited editions with my CC number, without buying all the regular editions that are made in the thousands. A reverse of my current situation. I just am not in the position to be an all variations collector. That would sop up most of the money available for my other knife purchases. Now if I could talk my local government into giving me a tax abatement so that my real estate taxes could be used to buy knives, I'd have nothing to worry about.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Thanks Deacon for posting this. I have seen the same thing as I am also a CC member. It seems that the wait time is getting longer and longer to get our numbered ones. I know its probably a pain in the *** for Spyderco, as laser etching about what "40" knives now can take more time then just shipping them out. I know it is not Sal's intention to drive out the CC club, but can see how some can think this. Most of the time, I wait for almost a month to get my CC numbered knives, and by that point it is almost 800-1000 bucks worth of Spydercos. I believe that this new mentality of releasing 40 knives in a year though is coming to an end. I see less coming from Spyderco, but better models. I hope there is a full sized manix 2 CF along with the little one.

There are many of the models that I love, but cant keep them all. I would be happy with having my CC numbered knives on their way when the regulars are released. But this brings up another problem.. The time it takes to laser them the whole production sits, which then floods the market. I dont know if there is a right or wrong way to do it, but can understand and relate to the disapointment when all my buddies are raving about a knife, that I as a collector club member havent even held yet. Like the leafstorm. How long has it been out? I should finally have mine in a few days.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Both my Leafstorm and Terzuola Ball Joint Slipit PE are coming in next week.
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

This rat jumped that ship at least 6 months ago. I was getting every **** knife they made. Now maybe 2 or 3 a year is all I see buying. Guess the poor service makes sense somewhere.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
markg

Post by markg »

I am a former collector's club member also.

I did not like the lag in delivery times. These are hardcore fans who now are going to get EVERY Spyderco knife they own months later than every other person on the street... Not good.

I love the Sprint Runs, but as a base level collector club member, I found that most (if not all) of the knives I wanted, I was not getting in the club.

From an investment standpoint, unless you have a large collection of numbered knives there is no real value incentive. Individually marked knives have no special value on the market.

There are reasons for why this happening. And it goes beyond simply the engraver being behind. The reality is the way Spyderco makes and distributes knives today, makes the Collector's Club a dinosaur from the past. Sprints, pilot runs, just put it down.

It is not working, either fix it or put to rest...

What I would do is this.

Stop the current Collector's Club. If you have large or even complete set of numbered knives... Watch the value climb. End the club, then make a new one, much like the Emerson Collector's Club, where a special knife is made once or twice a year that ONLY is available to club members.

I would sign back up for that. :)
MCM

Post by MCM »

Me too!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Well I never really understood the collectors club anyway. Buy what you like don't buy what you don't want. Why be in a collector club and end up with knives you don't want and then have to sell off anyway?

Seems much easier to just stick with a good dealer and either call then and pre-order stuff or ask them to put a couple asside for you that you want. Roger at knifeworks did this for me on 2 D2 Militaries. I told him as soon as he got them I would pay him and I did.

And even if I did want to be a CC member for some reason.....I would NOT be happy about getting knives after everyone else. No way.

For me, it just was never a good option, especially considering that Spyderco considers every plain edge the variation and the SpyderEdge the norm....unless of course the knife is not offered in serrated edge.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I was going to write something way too wordy. Instead, I'll say this.

To Deacon, Jano, and all the other CC members,

I'm sorry to hear about this, and hope it gets straightened out to everyone's satisfaction.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
SpyderPal

new CC

Post by SpyderPal »

markg wrote:End the club, then make a new one, much like the Emerson Collector's Club, where a special knife is made once or twice a year that ONLY is available to club members.
+1

I would sign up this minute!
All the best for you,
Manfred

Sal, thank you for giving us the FRN Stretch!

Passion is the spice in the spirit that makes excellence possible.
Sal on BF
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Well, i've been living with getting the knives later. Beeing an overseas member i usually don't get them first anyway. But as of late i've seen a decline in the quality of things regarding the collectors club as well, which for me as a serious collector, is even worse than the wait. I signed up for all the mule teams. The first one is marked correctly with my collector number. Then #2 and 3 mules have a V after my number. Now i got #4 and that only has my number and no V. Then there's the Aqua salt which has a V on the label but which is a main and doesn't have it on the knife.
All this tells me that the collectors club is not actually top-of-mind in Golden.
And it makes me sad. I've been looking at giving up my number quite a few times, but i've always decided to stick with it. If the decline in quality of things continue, i am not sure i'll continue to wait longer than everyone else for knives which are wrongly marked on either box or knife.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

Again Paul, you are spot-on the pulse of rational Spyderco afi/CC issues. And again this is an issue where so many have "their" preferred way things should be done in Spydie-Land. And like you mentioned.. CC'ers also have many different motivations for being in the club... supposed first on the block with new stuff, a long term investment, and/or the ego motivation of "Hey, I am #xxx."

And there are options... All models including variations, only new models (ex. new Cxxx sku's only), and whether or not to add the 'KOPA' or 'MULE' option. Great thread Deacon as usual. For the record, I prefer CC'ers getting EVERYTHING first for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

I do not see an Emerson-like CC in the future. That is simply based upon the fact that Sal has never followed, he has always led this industry.

But I too sense frustration among my CC'ers... er those I have left. In my opinion, the economy has been the biggest hit to the CC. It has been difficult for most to make that huge payment to their dealer when 8 or 9 or 10 CC knives arrive at the same time.

As a dealer and a CC'er, of course I also have my own preferred way I wish Spyderco would handle this situation. But rather than relying completely on the varied opinions of the congregation, I think in the end, Spyderco does what's best for Spyderco. And in a tough economic time, can anyone blame them? (Think Orange Military.)

I visited Golden last week while on vacation, and the laser-engraving department was quite busy... with the one employee that handles that entire department. The whole factory seemed to be in super-sonic mode. I saw that as a very positive sign.
Spyderco Collector #162
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sorry to hear about this, especially because it effects the loyal long time members. first i hope it gets fixed, if it gets revised to be similiar to the Emerson club as was mentioned i would happily join.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
markg

Post by markg »

I just used the EKI collectors club as an example. However I think Spyderco could makes something similar and original.

I think it could work.

I think the orginal club saw it's day, but just does not fit anymore with how the knives are made and distributed. IMHO.
Huck

Post by Huck »

I like Mark G's suggestion. I would be up for joining a Spyderco club that functions like thaat!
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

How does the current club work? And how much does it cost