Plumbing with a Rescue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
O,just,O

Plumbing with a Rescue

Post by O,just,O »

The plumber on the site I am now working was cutting 100 mm PVC sewerage pipe to length with a saw. Next thing I see him fish out of his pocket an orange thing which he proceeds to use for deburring the inner & outer of the cut ends. This orange thing, I see, has a volcano grip & Spydie hole. It's a 79 mm rescue in the closed position & he is using the spine edge up near the hole to deburr. I say, never seen one of those used for that before, he says, great tool for the job, I say, here gis a lookit it, he hands it over and as I take it I open it one handed. He says, howdya do that, I show him, he says, I wondered why they put that bloody hole in the blade, here, let me try. After fumbling it open a few times he puts it back in pocket, saying that it was given to him for competing in SES (state emergency service) exercises, they all got one. He also said, for cutting rope, when you get it out & open it up the rope see's it coming & just falls in two.
Next morning he turns up on the site, walks over to me, reaches in his pocket & in one smooth move pulls the rescue & snaps it open with his thumb, saying , Iv'e been practicing, this thing's gonna be good up the ladder now that I know what the hole is for.
He now has greater appreciation of the knife, good hey. :D
O.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Good on you for giving him a lesson. There just may be a new Spderco fan in the making now. Sounds like it anyway.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That's a great story. It's awesome that he just didn't know what it was there for and now he does.

I love those orange Rescues.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

That's a really cool story and a unique way to de-burr PVC pipe.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Nice story! Have not read something like that in a long time that brought a smile to my face!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Sharpy_swe

Post by Sharpy_swe »

Great story :)
31 :spyder: 's so far... (+4 Byrd's)
My Spyderco's at the Picture Gallery
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Thanks for sharing! Now he will begin to learn what a nice present it was for competing ;)
Vic
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Nice story :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

funny you posted this story. about a week ago on the towboat we were wiring some barges together and a guy pulls out his knife. it was small, orange handled, and had a shiny clip. I knew what it was right away. a second later he tells the other deckhands "this is a spyderco..they're the sh** best knife you could buy." it was a rescue jr. he had just bought.

I sharpened it up for him and he asked if I could do another one, the big brother, an orange serrated rescue that is in rough shape. I took some pix and will post them when I get off the boat.