USN Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

mark greenman wrote:They still haven't let me register, and that was like 3 months ago. I suspect I must be too unusual for them :p
Same story here. :(
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

Mine shipped today. I don't have an Endura yet, and the handle color was the clincher. Gonna get the purple native. Hoping for an orange Dodo. Still don't have anything pink. How about a pink SE Cricket?
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Dang I saw it go live too yesterday and had no clue it would sell out in less than 24 hours... Really wished I would have pulled the trigger sooner! But I think your right the second batch might go slower than the first :) I certainly hope so though I am taking no chances this time!
Vic
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Looking at how quickly the first batch of 300 sold out, would it be a bad idea to put a cap on the number of Enduras one can purchase in the second batch? I know many may balk at this idea because they wont be able to buy 10 at a time and sell them on ebay for $250 a pop but I think it would be fair to those who are a little less quick on the draw. Is this a reasonable request or should the old adage "if you snooze you lose" apply?
oregon

Post by oregon »

It, the USN forum knife, is so %@#* that only a mother could like it. Lots of mothers here... :D

I couldn't get the USN membership discount to work, figured that it was too late to call the SFO when I saw the sale in progress. Maybe next time I try to buy something from the SFO it will work better.

Internet sales are tricky. However, at least you don't get crushed trying to go thru the door with an anxious crowd.

Does this forshadow the Spyderco Forum knife sales event I wonder.

oregon
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I think that Jay Ev has a very good idea. I'm not working right now, and count myself lucky to have had the time to be able to get one of these, and can't really afford to buy duplicate Spydies, and won't be buying more of this model, but I hope that everyone here who wants one, will have the opportunity to get at least one. I'm hoping that circumstances allow me to buy a purple Native in the fall.

Kristi, do you think that there might be a basis for limiting the purchase quantity for an initial release time period (I don't know, the first week?...), so that everyone who wants one has a reasonable chance? There is a much-in-demand holster maker, who has had such a problem with ebay resales of one of their most popular models (a regular production model with a long waiting list), that they decided to limit sales quantities to 2 per order, in an attempt to keep people who want to resell them from interfering with the people who really need their products. This is not the exact same situation, but it might be something to think about.
MCM

Post by MCM »

This can be tricky.
Should USN members get the 1st shot? (2) Ea.?

Can Sal predict sales?

Thinking about the (2) per customer limit on S90v Mules,
months later the limit has been removed as they have not all sold?
Now the ZDP Mule is for sale right next to it?
That shocks me as I thought for sure the S90v Mule would also sell out in a day or 2.

Its very tough to make Limited runs "fare".
Am trying to land as many 806-901's as possible.
No idea how many I will actually end up with?

But were talking forum knifes here, so I would say members should get no more than (2) then open it up to everyone.
Again, not an easy thing to police.

For the record, I am only getting one USN green weenie.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Tom Krein

Post by Tom Krein »

mark greenman wrote:They still haven't let me register, and that was like 3 months ago. I suspect I must be too unusual for them :p
jabba359 wrote:Same story here. :(
PM sent guys... let me know if I can help you with your membership on the USN.

I just got back from vacation and see that I missed out on the first run. I will be getting one on the second run.... HOPEFULLY!!

:)

Tom
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I like the cap off idea! Just because...
1. I really want one of these knives!
2. I don't have money for multiples
3. I would have no intention of even selling them anyways!
4. If people are buying multiples and selling them they will cost way to much for me to afford!

It would be a nice idea, but I understand if it can't happen because it would be a difficult thing to do... AND some people might get upset becuase they want to order multiples to give as gifts perhaps? anyways just a thought :)
Vic
markg

Post by markg »

Buying lots of a USN Forum knife for resale on an auction site to non-USN members is bad karma.

If you were planning on doing this, stop now before random body parts fall off.

Kidding aside.

I want one, but missed out... Maybe next time. :)
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

yeah, I don't think that many were bought for that, I'm sure a few will end up that way. But looking at the USN "usn endura owners chime in here" that's already up to 4 pages of people saying they got one or 2 or 4, I think most of them will stay where they are meant to.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

bohica1998 wrote:I don't know when they will be getting them, but there will be a 2nd batch of 300 at a later date. They will probably go at a slower pace now that the first batch is gone.

Edited to add from Kristi's announcement thread:
Keep thinking that. I want at least one more. Should have bought two the first time round.
MCM wrote:This can be tricky.
Should USN members get the 1st shot? (2) Ea.?

Can Sal predict sales?

Thinking about the (2) per customer limit on S90v Mules,
months later the limit has been removed as they have not all sold?
Now the ZDP Mule is for sale right next to it?
That shocks me as I thought for sure the S90v Mule would also sell out in a day or 2.

Its very tough to make Limited runs "fare".
Am trying to land as many 806-901's as possible.
No idea how many I will actually end up with?

But were talking forum knifes here, so I would say members should get no more than (2) then open it up to everyone.
Again, not an easy thing to police.

For the record, I am only getting one USN green weenie.
Good points here.

Brings to mind the saga of the sprint runs Caly Jr. ZDP-189, and the Delica 4 ZDP-189.

The Delica was released shortly after the Caly Jr., and while the Caly Jr. was laminated, the Delica made the distinction of being the first knife made with a blade of solid ZDP-189. The Caly Jr. rather quickly garnered prices upwards of $250 on ebay, and did so for a year or two after release. It was an immensely popular knife (strangely, the previous version saw enough sales to garner a $40 price tag at the SFO on closeout). The Delica OTOH didn’t have the same reception. I suspect it was in large part driven by envy of those who missed out on the Caly Jr. ZDP-189 sprint run. Like it’s Caly Jr. counterpart, the Delica ZDP-189 quickly began to rise in prices on ebay and knife forums. Then, something happened with the sprint run Delica that didn’t happen with the Caly Jr. People started decrying the value of the Delica, claiming that it didn’t deserve such a price tag because it was a simple, working man’s knife made out of FRN instead of premium materials. Many people were lodging such complaints. (as I’ve said, I suspect this was in large part driven by envy of missing out on the Caly. Jr.). The idea behind putting the ZDP-189 in two FRN knives was to make the new, super-steel available to as many people as possible, but using models that normally carried a lower price point.

I found such complaints about the rising prices of the Delica interesting. After all, the market was what created the inflated prices. Sure, it had some to do with greedy collectors and speculators, but the only reason they were getting such high prices is that other people were willing to pay them. Those who wanted the items without paying the inflated prices were left to complaining about the situation that the market created. That the subject items were quite notable in the knife world was of little consequence. They simply wanted the knife, and didn’t want to pay.

I always figured that Spyderco would eventually come out with regular production versions of the knives once they saw the sales potential.

I also agree that limiting the initial purchase quantities could represent a potential future stock problem. However, Kristi has been quoted as saying that they are usually hard pressed to fill the 300 orders for a forum knife. The USN knife sold 300 in a roughly 24 hour period, and will probably have no problem selling the rest of the batch. I guessing that the demand will bring about a future production run of a knife similar to this minus the USN logo.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis

Post by 224477 »

Not sure if USN prefers to accept new members only because of the USN limited Endura knife. That was meant to be something special for a certain band of enthusiastic guys. ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
markg

Post by markg »

Not sure, maybe this is the issue... However you need a "hard" e-mail address to join. No Yahoo's, Hotmail's, Juno's Google's, etc.

That seems to be the biggest stumbling block to joining.

Also, as noted, if you want in and are having issues, get with a current member who can pull some strings.

Joining the USN is kinda like joining the Masons. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Tom Krein wrote:PM sent guys... let me know if I can help you with your membership on the USN.

Tom
Thanks for the help Tom! What a great site. I would think they guys on the boards here would advertise USN more. I found your handle tutorials very informative and hopefully it'll help my next Mule turn out even better.
224477 wrote:Not sure if USN prefers to accept new members only because of the USN limited Endura knife. That was meant to be something special for a certain band of enthusiastic guys. ;)
That makes perfect sense. They could have limited the discount to only members that signed up before the announcement. As it is, I had never heard of USN before the Endura announcement even though I've been on the Spyderco board for over three years (and carried their knives exclusively for the past decade). On the positive side, the USN Endura helped make me aware of the wonderful community over there and I look forward to participating in the future.
markg wrote: Also, as noted, if you want in and are having issues, get with a current member who can pull some strings.

Joining the USN is kinda like joining the Masons. :)
Thanks to Tom Krein for getting me initiated in the group. What a classy guy!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I'm a USN member and keen on getting the USN Endura, but unfortunately I'm still in "buying for work mode" when it comes to purchasing Spydie's. So The Rocklobster, ZDP Stretch & Superhawk are still taking priority.
Hopefully I wont regret this further down the track....
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

jezabel wrote:I'm a USN member and keen on getting the USN Endura, but unfortunately I'm still in "buying for work mode" when it comes to purchasing Spydie's. So The Rocklobster, ZDP Stretch & Superhawk are still taking priority.
Hopefully I wont regret this further down the track....
i think you will regret it....if it is a limited run and the others are in regular production i would get one of the toxic greenies before the other knives....i have made the same mistake so now i usually go for the old discontinued knives that i like the looks of if they become available. if one of those other knives that you mentioned were to be discontinued you would know about it if you frequent this forum often enough so you could still get one. You might pay a 10% higher price and sometimes you can get them at a great discount (think T-Mag) just my opinion.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Your probably right Tony, at this stage I'm not collecting ( at least that's what I've been telling myself lately). All my Spydies are users and given that I'm not the Endura's biggest fan combined with it being a collectable, I'm unlikey to use it. So for the time being my money's going on users.
At least this will free up one for those who really want one :)

....and speaking of discontinued knives, I just bought an SE Ayoob, another anxious week waiting at the letterbox.. ;)

Jez
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I found this awful looking thing in my mailbox today. :D Wow, it matched the smilie.

Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

that knife = necessity!
Man that thing looks good!!!!

can't wait for the second batch im snatchin one up!
Vic