"Too-good" pocket clip on Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonny

"Too-good" pocket clip on Caly 3

Post by Sonny »

Okay, I just got this nice knife. The VG-10 blade steel is very nice...It is super, but I can't get the thing out of my pocket. Yes, the paper clip conceals it well, but I'm thinking I would have been (personally) happier to get a 3" blade with liner-lock and a standard old-style pocket clip.
A good portion of this complaint comes from the fact that I carried a different well-known maker's knife for six years...and of course, it has a liner-lock and the older-styled pocket clip. I never had any difficulty getting that knife out of my pocket, and opening and closing one-handed is very easy although I'm sure that I'll get better with this new knife after some practise. Gosh, I don't know...does Spyderco advise bending that clip to make it easier to get out of my pocket?
So I'm just thinking out loud. But yeah, I think I prefer the old-style pocket clip. I realize that Spyderco has a few models, with 3" blade-length or less, that use the liner-lock and the older pocket-clip and I might make a move in that direction. Your suggestions would be helpful.
Of course, then I would have two Spydies; that's not all bad.
Sonny
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sonny,

I usually bend all of my clips a bit to make them esier to access.

We make them tight enough for most customers so they don't drop or lose them.

sal
hickster

Post by hickster »

It's the agressive G10 that is making the clip hold so well. Some run a little sandpaper under the clip to smooth th G10 a little. The CF caly draws smoothly. Better yet, the Walker Sage is a similarly sized liner lock with outstanding carbon fiber. It's textured, but not nearly as agressive. It has a deep riding wire clip and draws very smoothly as well.
hickster
dc50

Post by dc50 »

As hickster mentioned, sand paper, 1000 grit under the clip does the trick :D
Don't over do it,otherwise it will become to slick.
dc
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thank you, Sal, Hickster and dc50 for your kind replies. There are three solutions I can try... and perhaps end up with another Spydie in the process.
I am very impressed (but not surprised) that "the Boss" helped a brand-new Spydie fan. Awfully good customer service.
Sonny
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I had the same issue with my captain,i just bent the clip a little and now it`s a whole lot better.