Spyderco Warrior

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharpy_swe

Post by Sharpy_swe »

The Warrior knife is an fine example of the wonderful designs that is offered to us from Spyderco. Yes it's absolutely true that a knife is a tool, but different people have different needs so they need different tools. If Spyderco makes a tool/knife for a combat military unit, of course the result will be a very aggressive looking one. Compare the Warrior with the Civilian, that's another very utilitarian design made not for EDC but aggressive SD. And then we have the Whale Rescue Blade that is truly a life saving blade. Spyderco is indeed a company that I'm proud of being a customer to.
31 :spyder: 's so far... (+4 Byrd's)
My Spyderco's at the Picture Gallery
oregon

Post by oregon »

http://spyderco.com/forums/attachment.p ... 1247357060

My new screensaver/background!

The knife appears to be covertly peaking out thru the blinds...

Now if I could get you to take a few pics with the knife being held in a hand.

Thank you Kristi.

oregon
dolphincry

Post by dolphincry »

awesome.....!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

just stumbled across this i think the warrior might be the knife that finally pushes me to purchase an H-1 blade i just can't do it right now i'm still buying other spydercos so i'm saving my money for those but this looks like a versatile knife not extremely versatile but survival and SD which is all i need in a knife
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

First of all, I was the one who responded almost three years ago to a forum request by Sal for new fixed blade designs, asking for a version of the Hobbit Warrior. Sal responded in a "Funny you should ask that..." manner and then went on to describe what they were doing with the design for an Israeli Special Forces group. He described the knife as being designed for sentry removal.

This is reality, if some of you guys can't deal with that and have to cry Mall Ninja then grow up. I've been in three confrontations in which I've had to use a knife and in one it kept my wife and I safe from assault and gang rape! I make NO apologies for bladed fighting arts and carrying a knife for self defense. If you don't like it go back to your sheeple friends and tell them how offended you are by knife people who use knives for self defense. They'll give you their spineless sniveling approval. And then they'll turn on you any way. You can't appease these unsane specimens of humanity. More people are assaulted with kitchen and hunting knives than any SD knife.

Now that those people have left the thread I can say that I have an Al Mar Warrior, a Hobbit Warrior and the Hobbit Warrior trainer. This last is an impressive blunt force object in itself. Bob Taylor was going to find a Japanese company to produce the knife and they ripped it off and didn't meet his specs, so he started Round Eye Knife and Tool (Rekat) to make his own version which he named the Hobbit Warrior based on his nickname the Hobbit from ****. Bob stands just a couple inches over 5 foot.

I handled the production model at the last Eugene OKCA show and can hardly wait to add this one to my Hobbit family, it felt deadly and efficient.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Interesting thread......interesting knife......I learned quite a bit about it's design history from reading this; thanks to all who contributed on this topic.

If I were in a "Special" unit or needed an edged tool for combat I'd want this available to me. Good job Spyderco. It appears to be an "efficient" tool. ;)

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

Thanks for the scoop Kristi......the Warrior looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this one!! My only "wish" on this knife would be Black Micarta handle scales.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tonie Nichols wrote:First of all, I was the one who responded almost three years ago to a forum request by Sal for new fixed blade designs, asking for a version of the Hobbit Warrior. Sal responded in a "Funny you should ask that..." manner and then went on to describe what they were doing with the design for an Israeli Special Forces group. He described the knife as being designed for sentry removal.

This is reality, if some of you guys can't deal with that and have to cry Mall Ninja then grow up. I've been in three confrontations in which I've had to use a knife and in one it kept my wife and I safe from assault and gang rape! I make NO apologies for bladed fighting arts and carrying a knife for self defense. If you don't like it go back to your sheeple friends and tell them how offended you are by knife people who use knives for self defense. They'll give you their spineless sniveling approval. And then they'll turn on you any way. You can't appease these unsane specimens of humanity. More people are assaulted with kitchen and hunting knives than any SD knife.

Now that those people have left the thread I can say that I have an Al Mar Warrior, a Hobbit Warrior and the Hobbit Warrior trainer. This last is an impressive blunt force object in itself. Bob Taylor was going to find a Japanese company to produce the knife and they ripped it off and didn't meet his specs, so he started Round Eye Knife and Tool (Rekat) to make his own version which he named the Hobbit Warrior based on his nickname the Hobbit from ****. Bob stands just a couple inches over 5 foot.

I handled the production model at the last Eugene OKCA show and can hardly wait to add this one to my Hobbit family, it felt deadly and efficient.
Sorry Tonie, you can call me every **** name in the book, think as poorly of me as your wish, I dont' give a rat's ***. My opinion has not changed. While I applaud Spyderco's making specialized tools for "good guy" organizations I still question the wisdom of openly advertising something which, by your own words, was designed primarily as an offensive weapon for military use. Especially on a medium like Facebook, which attracts more than its share of the immature and irresponsible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

O,just,O wrote: but I would consider this if only because I foresee a huge demand once discontinued. All those kicking themselves for not getting one when the gettin was good.
O.
I think thell make more of this knife not just one run, There is already demand for them.

Like i said before i want 2 double fist them. The end is near and this would be a great knife for when it comes....

Sixheads
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry Tonie, you can call me every **** name in the book, think as poorly of me as your wish, I dont' give a rat's ***. My opinion has not changed. While I applaud Spyderco's making specialized tools for "good guy" organizations I still question the wisdom of openly advertising something which, by your own words, was designed primarily as an offensive weapon for military use. Especially on a medium like Facebook, which attracts more than its share of the immature and irresponsible.
I respect your point of view, Deacon; here's mine. The two H1 knives I will definitely buy (none at present) are the Spyderhawk and the Warrior. I hope to buy a boat in the next year and will be exclusively on salt water, so I want H1. I wouldn't buy the Warrior if it wasn't a useful knife, but it probably isn't "that" much more useful than the Spyderhawk or one of the less expensive models.

I buy many things for partially impractical reasons. I have dozens of Spyderco knives for no reason other than the enjoyment of having them. I want to buy the Warrior because I think it's a marvelous design, aside from it's "sentry elimination" function, but one reason I will buy it is it's mystique. Like most kids in the sixties I played army and military equipment still plugs in to remembered joy. Also, I'm Jewish; and the Israeli "Seal" angle adds to the allure of this knife. So I'll be buying a useful tool and paying extra for it's symbolic meaning to me.

Spyderco, like all manufacturers, is selling image as well as function. Monty Python satirized the buying of image beautifully in a Terry Gilliam animation about buying pieces of other people's lives so that you could pretend you were them. Is it immoral to prey on emotional dependency by having celebrity endorsements? Is it immoral to advertise and sell based on a psychological understanding of people's emotional desires that is probably superior to their own? It's worth asking what the moral implications are of selling a product designed to kill. Obviously, there are vast numbers of guns sold of a type which has no other purpose than to kill others. I don't think any of this is immoral, but I also don't think this moral question is simple or obvious. I worry much more about the glorification of killing in the media; the pretense that taking another's life can be simple and satisfying as opposed to the emotional **** that it is for any sane person.

When I get my Warrior I will resist the urge to crawl through the grass and pretend to "take out" a sentry as I did in my childhood, but the connection will be there and it will not trouble me at all.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Buffalohump

Post by Buffalohump »

I think its wicked cool...... can't wait for the all black version.
razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

I really like the sheath but i just don't like the look of the blade. It's special in a way but not my kind of special :D
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

wow....
This think looks amazing!!!! Bet it will be quite pricey :o
But oh so worth it :D
Vic
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

wholey moley............ one bad mother fletcher. :eek:
Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Impressive knife...but i like the newest Temperance more(I got the name right, didn't i?).
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Deacon

Of course you give a "rat's ***" Deacon, otherwise you wouldn't have responded as you did. :rolleyes:

And just like your position, you're logic is as poor of quality as a Smith and Wesson knife. The immature and irresponsible haunt every form of media, including the print media such as knife magazines. They walk through the door of every knife show and Dojo in America. Do you really think some gang banging, mall ninja wannabee is going to put together $300+ dollars to buy a Warrior so he can flash it around downtown. No. They're going to go buy some piece of crap Smith and Wesson or China Made or United.

What really drives attitudes such as you exhibit is fear. Fear in thinking that somebody might get offended and try to outlaw carrying a knife of any sort. Well guess what, those people do exist already; they're our elected officials, bureaucrats and gun control fanatics who want to control every aspect of an American citizen's life and they don't care what lies they have to tell or who they have to demonize to get that power. And they have the support of every weak minded liberal putz enemy of a free society. You should know this, if I remember your address right you come from New York. These people don't care where or what Spyderco advertises, they are offended by the mere fact of advertising anything relating to knives because they don't recognize any legal basis for knife ownership or use, least of all self-defense.

These totalitarians will eventually win. Look at England, Australia and Canada, then look at the position of the democrat party. But it won't be because of where Spyderco advertises.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Tonie,

Your manners are as bad as your reasoning. Stop making ad hominen attacks. There are many places on the web for political rants; this is not one of them.

ps: "These totalitarians will eventually win. Look at England, Australia and Canada" Oh, and look up totalitarian in the dictionary; it does not mean what you think it means.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some call it giving in to fear, others call it behaving responsibly and denying ammunition to those who would be only too happy to use it against us. Laws often get made when a large enough number of people fail to exhibit discretion.

Folks can say what they will, the extremely discrete highly responsible way Spyderco handled the advertising of the Matriarch, and of the Civilian at one time, was laudable. The way the Warrior is being rolled out, in my opinion, is less so. I'm no fool, I know **** well that once something exists, some of it will inevitably fall into the wrong hands. Just don't see the need to make that happen faster and easier.

Don't know where Tonie's bunker is located, but around here the gang bangers wear sneakers that cost $300+ and carry ipods and cell phones that cost that much. Not to mention guns. The 13 year old mall ninja wannabes have ready access to mommy or daddy's credit card and little or no supervision. Both groups have camera equipped cell phones and know how to use the internet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dskmanch

Post by dskmanch »

have to say i love the look of this one

awesomely aggressive and yet just purely functional

hope to add one to my collection some day

not bought a knife for a couple of years (the last ones were when the UKPK came out :D )

i guess the :spyder: bug never leaves you :D
May I deal with honour

May I act with courage

May I achieve humility
v8r

Post by v8r »

KaliGman wrote: Considering the MP-5 and other gear I would have on in this situation, I doubt if anyone would give this (apparently to some) "huge, ugly, scary, insert other derogatory adjective as required" knife more than a cursory glance.
If I were a criminal I would be alot more afraid of that MP-5 Myself. :D

I like the knife.I would probably never use it for it's intended purpose, but it looks like a fantastic tool.I own lots of other tools that I use that were designed for different purposes such as a k98 Mauser a 91/30 Mosin, and a pistol derived from a design by Samuel Colt the Colt 1911.While I do not use them for their intended purposes (All were designed for battle), I own them for their historical significance and history.The pistol I carry every day, and hope I never have to use it.What's funny is that lots of these "battle weapons" have had hunting and target firearms derived from the original design.So I fail to see how this knife could not be used for utilitarian purposes.Nearly any knife could be used for "killing" in properly trained hands,but that does not mean that's all it's good for. :confused:
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p