My new Caly 3, VG-10, CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonny

My new Caly 3, VG-10, CF

Post by Sonny »

I asked for your opinions and you gave 'em. I decided to get the Caly 3 for my first Spydie. I was carrying a Benchmade (154CM) for six years, but it is relegated to a desk drawer at this point.
Very impressed with this knife. Of course, demo'd the paper cutting to my wife and it did a great job...as expected. Carbon fiber scales provide a good non-slip surface. Not sure if I prefer this pocket "paper clip" style...time will tell. The clip gets awfully good user reviews.
I expect to use leather bootlaces to strop serrations, as suggested a while ago by vampyrewolf. Can you keep an edge by stropping only, or do I need the Sharpmaker? Note SE blade.

Thanx again,
Sonny
arnon

Post by arnon »

Are you sure its Carbon fiber? I thought that all the vg10 has g10 and the zdp come with Carbon fiber :confused:
Be well Arnon
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

arnon wrote:Are you sure its Carbon fiber? I thought that all the vg10 has g10 and the zdp come with Carbon fiber :confused:
Be well Arnon

I believe Arnon is correct. Looks like you have a G-10 with VG-10 blade. Either way still a nice Caly3.
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Of course you guys are correct. I just checked the "label" in the mailing box. That's what happens when a guy doesn't know the difference, even when I have it in my hand. Bummer! I got a lot to learn. Thanks. And yeah, I like it. Also found out not to test the sharpness with my thumb. Was having dinner and got some lemon juice on my thumb and ....WoW! These things are sharp...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sonny,

Thanx for the trust and support. You have good taste in afi (aficianado) blade-wear. VG-10 is an extra-ordinary stainless blade steel made by Takefu foundry in Japan. The G-10 scales are made in the US and shipped to Seki-City, Japan. The maker we work with has been a partner for more than 20 years and their knifemaking skill is among the best in the world. (4th generation of knifemakers).

Of course you have a lot to learn. ;) That's what makes the "blade" as "an interest" so rewarding. There is always more to learn! Depth increases as learning increases. Retained austenite and bainite discussion drives Advil sales.

Fit / finish - learn "to see" and "feel" quality. Walk & Talk.

10X - 12X lupe is #1 teacher. Spyderco forumites (me included) = #2 teacher.

Materials offer much, there are great differences in steel though they all appear to be the same.

A great deal of our designs and product offerings are prompted by the very knowledgable visitors and customers on this forum.

The more you learn about knives, the more doors open.

sal
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Good choice. I have an SE Caly 3, but I carry the PE one far more often. It's my most used EDC knife. In fact, it has outlasted my Striders (sold'em off) and my Sebbies (put'em back in their boxes).

The only time I trade off now is for dressy stuff (CF Sage) or to carry a Case Trapper when I go hiking with my dogs. I like having the spey blade for using around them. Otherwise, I carry my VG10 Caly 3.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935