New guy needs one "shorter" EDC folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonny

New guy needs one "shorter" EDC folder

Post by Sonny »

A newbie here. I'm looking for a knife with a pocket-clip, serrated or combo blade length (or cutting edge?) less than or equal to 3" blade, so I can legally carry it with me when I go visit kids and gd-kids out of state. I hate to go anywhere without my folder. I am not a collector, just a mild daily user.
I haven't seen much here on forum-member blade steel preferences, although VG10 and S30V crop up quite a bit. I don't need much of a point, as I don't "stab" anything, just cut.
I want a blade that will stay sharp, since I have so much difficulty trying to get one to stay that way in the first place.
I carry a BenchMade 690, 154CM, for five years now. I did have the serrated blade, and liked it, until I got a replacement blade with no serrations (They were "out."). I cannot cut with this thing and it's generally illegal for pocket-carry out of state. I hate to go anywhere without my folder.
I have been looking and I like the Natives; they are short with cutting edge 3" or less. I am hoping that various state regs look at cutting-edge length and not just blade length when they write their restrictions as concealed weapon.
I'm looking at FRN C41BK and Black-bladed C41BBK (both S30V) and also the Native III FRN C78BK in VG-10. I would like fancier scales, but not really important. Can spend $125 or so.
I like the Native Tan C41TN also with S30V and I see it is available on Ebay. (I'm an older troop and my kids were in the desert.) Thanks for the warning to watch out for fake Spydies; not that I could tell the difference. I know I need to buckle down and use the Search mode here but running out of time as Orlando gun/knife show is tomorrow.
Would really appreciate some recommendations here on "buying sites" and steel preferences with folder models that meet my wishes. I am not against other stuff like Emerson, SOG, or whatever, but I think Spyderco is quality and I only carry one at a time.
Thank you in advance and I am enjoying this forum.
Sonny (post #1)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you want serrated and 3" or less, the best buy for the money right now would be the serrated version of the Caly 3. It has been discontinued, and is being discounted by some dealers, like Sierra Trading Post. Textured G-10 handles, steel liners, and a 3" long VG-10 blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would suggest a Spyderco Cricket SE as a great travel knife. Other options could be Delica, Native, Salt 1, Rescue Jr, S, Spin, Native III, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Ladybug Salt, Lava, Remote Release II.

Slipit options: UK pen knife, Dk pen knife, either of the Urbans

This is a quick list and I may have missed one or two.

Enjoy the model that you end up with once you make your selection.

Sincerely,

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Hey Sonny, welcome to the forums. You've definitely come to the right place with your questions. There are a lot of great folks on here with a lot more knowledge about Spyderco knives than me, but I'll give it a go.

Based on your requirements, I'd recommend the following:

- Delica 4 serrated edge (SE): blade 2 7/8", price around $50 ~ $60
- Cricket SE: blade 1 7/8", price around $60
- Caly 3 SE: blade 3", Spyderco Factory Outlet (online) has them on sale at a great price
- UKPK: blade 3", around $100

Good luck and let us know what you choose. :)
tap

Post by tap »

How about a knife with a 4 way clip, screw contruction, no finger choil to take away from the cutting edge, available in SE CE or PE, a choice of VG10 or ZDP-189 with a blade length of 2-7/8"? There are more than 20 variations currently available of the Delica. If you are in a hurry I'll narrow it down to one for you. ZDP-189 CE. No fancy handle. It only comes in British Racing Green that looks almost black in most lighting conditions. New Graham Pharmacy NEXT
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
araneae

Post by araneae »

For a mild daily user you would be pressed to find a better knife than a UKPK. The Caly 3 (locking version) is also a fine knife and the serrated edge can be found for a steal right know. I prefer my UK.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I would recommend the Delica 4, you can get it with stainless, FRN, and now G-10 handles so the options are almost endless with several blade configurations for those handles. I recommend the Delica to anyone that wants just a do-all EDC knife, mostly because it is the perfect knife for EDC purposes.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

My first vote would be a Caly 3 SE. As mentioned before they are discontinued and are a great price and pretty easy to find.

A very close second and one of my top 3 spydercos is the SE Cricket. Its 2" which is legal most everywhere, and the cutting power of this little knife is amazing.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
chipped

Post by chipped »

Salt 1 SE in yellow.

Weighs nothing, H1 metal can't rust, it work hardens, stupid easy to sharpen up, small and flat.

You can find it on Amazon for decent prices if you're already registered there and want to save some hassle registering somewhere else.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Another vote for the Delica 4 (or any Delica model you can find). You can get both SE and CE versions of it, and it's a very versatile utility knife.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Definitely go for a Caly 3 SE, I'd normally recommend the Para but its blade is the tiniest bit over 3'. If you are really keen on the Native, be sure to handle one first as it's ergos don't seem to work for everybody.
Superfuzz

Post by Superfuzz »

I too am a relative newcomer, welcome! The Delica is nice, but one of my favorite designs is the Native...still haven't got around to purchasing one, though.

Good luck on your purchase!
Your friends are important to your survival...they give the enemy someone else to shoot at.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

You really can't beat that Caly 3...
dwong

Post by dwong »

i think spyderco is above others...and +1 on the caly3, so smooth with no weakness
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

For the money right now, the Caly III SE off Sierra Trading Post is a real bargain. I just got one and love how solid it is. Ive also got a UKPK - same shape, but slipit. If you want lock, go Caly III. If you want SE, go Caly III. If you want slipit, go UKPK. Another option to get you well under the 3" limit is slipit styly is the Urban. I dont have one YET, but have the Wharnie Urban on my "gotta get" list.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

How about a Lava???? I've been using mine for a while now, and it handles every task like a champ!! I give 10 out of 10, for that CRAZY lil blade.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Caly 3 Serrated! Nuff said.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sonny,

Welcome to the Forum.
My vote certainly will go for Caly3, just cannot imagine better EDC with 3" blade and SE edge.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

Choosing the Native is definitely a good choice. It's a comfortable knife to use and has been around a long time as a testament to it being a great knife.

I've bought from these places and others as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Native-Bla ... 7C294%3A30

http://newgraham.com/store/product/714/ ... -SC41PSBK/

Welcome to the forums.
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Welcome to the forums, Sonny! :)

I won't add much advice, as I don't have any smaller serrated knives, but I will say that I absolutely love my Caly 3 plain edge (in G-10/VG-10). If (as many others attest) the serrated version is as good, it would be a slam dunk!